PDA

View Full Version : Question About Laptops & Notebooks

CANDY_74
06-06-2011, 12:17 PM
My daughter was asking me about Laptops and Notebooks etc and whats the difference between the 2 of them because she saw an ad on another site of one for sale.

It was a 7 Inch Lime Green Notebook

Ive no idea so I thought Id post here and see what yous can tell me about them.

Shes going to be 17yrs old and has wanted something like this since she was 15 but I told her she'd have to wait, well shes bugging me so I told her maybe and I just want to know if theyre pretty much the same except 1 is smaller etc..

Thanks for any info!!

jeffster
06-06-2011, 12:47 PM
netbooks are a neat item for anyone that doesnt want to do more than general web surfing, email, msn, facebook
It's rare to find a netbook with a cd-rom, therefore all software needs to be downloaded, or installed with a usb thumb-drive or external cd-rom
Netbooks aren't known for performance, and are definitely not designed for gaming.
They are also small, which makes them easy to drop.
The 7inch lime green netbook you're referring too is likely one of the first models of netbooks, which came without a hard drive...meaning that once the internal memory is full, there is very limited chance for upgrading.

Having owned one of the newer netbooks, as well as my wife having one, i would definitely discourage the purchase of one
they average $300 for a decent model (hp, compaq, dell)...put the extra 100-150 bucks to it and buy a laptop...you'll be glad you did

CANDY_74
06-06-2011, 05:45 PM
:) Thanks

I figured a Laptop would be better also as she wants to use it for when shes done Grade 12 and is off to College. Shes going into Grade 12 in September so thats not far off at all :(

Bluesky
06-09-2011, 03:09 PM
My netbook lasted about 1 month past it's warranty and it died. The cost of repair would have exceeded the cost of a new netbook. We said, forget it..

Never got another one.

RWGR
06-09-2011, 07:38 PM
We have netbooks at our school, and I hate it. Never use it.

Calis
06-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Yep, just spend the little bit extra and grab a laptop. To me a netbook is useless.

403_forbidden
06-14-2011, 11:31 PM
I would get a notebook for your daughter. You can do more on them, they are more reliable, and usually notebooks have faster processors. I would look for something with a Core i5, 4 GB of RAM and 250 GB or better hard drive. It all depends on your budget. Netbooks are okay, but they have their limits...