PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Motorcycles

IMHO
06-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Wow...the sounds of these motorcycles at night is just too much. If I drove a car that made that much noise...I would get ticketed for making unnecessary noise. Why are these motorcycles exempt? I have heard some very quiet ones so obviously the technology is there to keep the noise "reasonable". Perhaps the big noise is to make up for small........

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Ball gazer...

8th
06-19-2011, 11:46 PM
scandalous

Strife
06-20-2011, 01:11 AM
greasy

nightingale
06-20-2011, 03:25 AM
how come 6th and 8th are always on at the same time? or am I missing something....

8th
06-20-2011, 05:40 AM
I love a good mystery

IMHO
06-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Good question!!! I note their comments are equally ridiculous.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 07:40 AM
how come 6th and 8th are always on at the same time? or am I missing something....

Nice try CSI but we are different people. I don't have 4543634 accounts and have to hide...

ByrdDawg
06-20-2011, 09:33 AM
What's this thread about again ? Oh yeah, something about motorcycles .........................

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 09:36 AM

MaO3
06-20-2011, 09:39 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/tammym1965/untitled-1.jpg

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Oh so true...

IMHO
06-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Ever hear of NOISE POLLUTION?

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 09:44 AM
We cant hear you

SIMBA
06-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Exactly. They are the most annoying things on the face of the planet. Hate them. Suicide on wheels is what they are.

yoda
06-20-2011, 09:47 AM
the newer bikes have sensors in the exhaust so the owners can't bore them out, it affects how they run

SIMBA
06-20-2011, 09:50 AM
A transport truck cannot use the jake in the city but loud motorcycles are acceptable? They are louder than they need to be.

MaO3
06-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Oh but they sound sooo nice when your on one! I totally love the sound of our bike and YES its loud!!!!
Theres nothing like the throaty rumble of a Harley! :)

Christopher2007
06-20-2011, 10:02 AM
People who dont use deodorant (especially on hot summers days) and noisy motorcycles people are some of the most annoying people.

bohd
06-20-2011, 10:28 AM
i agree....there is no way bikes should be that loud,,,,,i thinks its the big bike little d*** syndrome.....compensation for certain inadequacies...lol

Wow...the sounds of these motorcycles at night is just too much. If I drove a car that made that much noise...I would get ticketed for making unnecessary noise. Why are these motorcycles exempt? I have heard some very quiet ones so obviously the technology is there to keep the noise "reasonable". Perhaps the big noise is to make up for small........

Strife
06-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Perhaps the big noise is to make up for small........
small engine?

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 11:39 AM
A transport truck cannot use the jake in the city but loud motorcycles are acceptable? They are louder than they need to be.

Most of these bikes come that way. We don't have an on/off switch to make the exhaust louder.

tippikitty
06-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Oh but they sound sooo nice when your on one! I totally love the sound of our bike and YES its loud!!!!

I totally agree!!!
My neighbour has a truck and the noise that comes out of the f'n truck would put any bike to shame. So it's not just bikes that are loud.
Harleys are made to be loud.... Making them quiet would be like going to a concert without out any music.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I totally agree!!!
My neighbour has a truck and the noise that comes out of the f'n truck would put any bike to shame. So it's not just bikes that are loud.
Harleys are made to be loud.... Making them quiet would be like going to a concert without out any music.

Perfect. Except I would never want a Harley. Most of them are snobs and besides why be a sheep....

8th
06-20-2011, 12:23 PM
BAA -- and since we're the same person you better learn to like Harleys or this could get confusing

italiandomino
06-20-2011, 12:25 PM
the sad part is most ppl dont look to see if there is a bike behind them or next to them, a bike with noise makes sure that ppl know they are there. Cant compare that to a Transport, ppl see them right behind them or beside them, not bikes.

If its to loud, your to f'n old !!!

dont like it .. put earmuffs on to block out the sound, then see who looks like the idiot !! lol

Sayjan
06-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I agree with you Italiandomino. My husband rides a bike and yes it is loud if he really hammers on it but it has saved his life many a times. I think if you drive a car, you should be made to take the motorcycle course. I know new motorcycle riders have commented how much more aware of motorcycles they are when they are in the "cage" since driving one themselves. The cagers don't pay attention to what is around them so by having loud pipes the motorcyclist is protecting himself. Yes you do get the ones who purposely drive around neighbourhood blipping the throttle just to hear themselves. Not every biker is like that.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 12:42 PM
BAA -- and since we're the same person you better learn to like Harleys or this could get confusing

No way. Suzuki Stryker...

http://motor3.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Yamaha_Stryker_2011_motor3_01-600x400.jpg

gouligann
06-20-2011, 12:43 PM
OMG, unless you have someone who lives beside you and revs the thing all night, what is the big deal? Tell the people who live beside the railroad tracks that trains are loud. Get used to it, get over it, or just wait for a couple more months... our snow will keep those noisy motorcycles parked in garages for another 7 months, give or take.

If a passing noise was the least thing a lot of people had to complain about, they'd jump for joy... geesh.

tippikitty
06-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Perfect. Except I would never want a Harley. Most of them are snobs and besides why be a sheep....

I used "Harley" for an example....smart assssss We all know how much I like to ride.....not real fussy on what I ride, as long as I ride. ;)

Strife
06-20-2011, 01:25 PM
not real fussy on what I ride, as long as I ride. ;)
I'll be right back....

8th
06-20-2011, 04:22 PM
No way. Suzuki Stryker... One day you WILL come to the dark side grasshopper

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Why would I pay 10 grand more for the same quality bike? No way dude...

icemantbi
06-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Hehe.. Im guessing you ran into my buddy I will call... Mr. vtwin... Rides an antique 1982 yamaha virago 750. Its pretty loud, he loves it like that

Blunt
06-20-2011, 08:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hQN4Amaeg

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Wow, that was so demeaning!! Give me a break @ss munch lol

Peety
06-20-2011, 08:40 PM

Why are they snobs?

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 08:41 PM
They think they are elitists because they own Harleys lol

Peety
06-20-2011, 08:43 PM
They think they are elitists because they own Harleys lol

No they don't..lol

Peety
06-20-2011, 08:48 PM

I agree,

8th
06-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I agree, Peety has good taste..6th not so much

Peety
06-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Peety has good taste..6th not so much

Yes I do.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Peety has good taste..6th not so much

O rly now

8th
06-20-2011, 09:18 PM
when it comes to bikes anyway LOL

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 09:21 PM
If you want to pay more for not sure what then knock yourself out!!

8th
06-20-2011, 09:23 PM
penny pincher..you have the money

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Why buy what everyone else has. Boring!!

Peety
06-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Why buy what everyone else has. Boring!!

Harleys hold thier value when you sell it.

8th
06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm PM ing 6th right now, I hope he will see the light

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 09:34 PM
This logging off and logging in as 8th is really exhausting!!

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Harleys hold thier value when you sell it.

So do most other bikes..

8th
06-20-2011, 09:43 PM
This logging off and logging in as 8th is really exhausting!! Not too mention the PM's

MaO3
06-20-2011, 09:56 PM
There is no comparison between a Harley and other bikes. Sorry as a Harley owner, while I like the look of some of the others, like the pic someone posted earlier, as well as the Yamaha's Royal Star - a Harley just has a certain feel to it. The rumble.... theres just nothing else that compares....

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
06-20-2011, 10:08 PM
No..

tippikitty
06-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes..

icecapp
06-21-2011, 11:08 AM
There is no comparison between a Harley and other bikes. Sorry as a Harley owner, while I like the look of some of the others, like the pic someone posted earlier, as well as the Yamaha's Royal Star - a Harley just has a certain feel to it. The rumble.... theres just nothing else that compares.... lMAO, MA I love you... for a girl that was sketcy a few months back My how things change....

I myself am a bike owner and rider (female)((with small exhaust)) but a bike will make more noise if you hamer on it or gear down, Which I will do so people hear me. IF they are not def which we had somebody almost run into my husband and son about a month ago, husband knocked on his window.. he appolgized and said sorry he did not see NOR hear him Cause he did not have his hearing aids in... and the problem is if others would learn how to F'ning drive there would be a lot less accidents, BIKE or VEHICLE in this city.. I gotta laugh at 4 way stops, the amount of people who run them or wave the next person to go through when they stoped first.. the amount of people who blow stop signs, Going through my M licences as we speek, we are taught to be on the look out all the time, cause there are so many no brains out there..

To me driving a bike is very calming for me. I do not drive a harley, I drive and Yamaha and it can be loud if I make it loud. But mine is a enduro, (dual sport)

MaO3
06-21-2011, 11:26 AM
lMAO, MA I love you... for a girl that was sketcy a few months back My how things change....

I was always a bike lover - we just hadnt' owned one for many years, our plan was to buy one for our retirement. Being back on a bike has been a blast, we're loving it and I'm really glad he "asked for forgiveness, instead of permission" cause I probably wouldn't have done it this year. LOL

Scoff
06-21-2011, 12:20 PM
i agree....there is no way bikes should be that loud,,,,,i thinks its the big bike little d*** syndrome.....compensation for certain inadequacies...lol

I couldn't agree more.

There's a few of the bikes around my place that sound absolutely horrible, problem is, most of those guys think it sounds great. Really, they do.

In the day and age when a high performance engine should purr like a kitten these fools take their relic sounding engines and rev to no limit. I throw dirty looks at them whenever I can at red lights, eying up their bikes and giving a little snicker while I shake my head.

The 60's & 70's are over ... no more "loud = muscle", loud now means your engine is a big PoS.

SIMBA
06-21-2011, 12:24 PM
LMAO!! Too true!

Scoff
06-21-2011, 12:29 PM
With all these people who "want to be heard" it sounds more like attention seeking than trying to protect yourself.

Otherwise, when driving with other Sault drivers we all have to worry about if the car beside and in front see us or not. Sault drivers seem to pay less attention than others, they head in the turning lane (or change lanes) without signalling or looking, they just go ... all drivers are on the defensive, no matter what you're riding. Horrible drivers here.

There's no need for the excessive noise, none at all. This is a compensation thing, obvious for the guys and with women it's like a bigger truck ... the loud bike makes them feel more powerful and women like that because it's a rare opportunity they get to feel like that. (big and powerful)

Ultra54
06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
I have been an avid motorcyclist for most of my 47 years and personally I don't care for loud Harleys very much. For that matter I don't care much for any aspect of Harley Davidsons.Just my opinion, but it used to be that owning a Harley was an expression of individualism but now every yuppy has them and they all look identical to me. There is a well known saying within the motorcycling community that goes like this......Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into excess noise, without the side effects of creating horsepower....:)

Jack Butler
06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
I have been an avid motorcyclist for most of my 47 years and personally I don't care for loud Harleys very much. For that matter I don't care much for any aspect of Harley Davidsons.Just my opinion, but it used to be that owning a Harley was an expression of individualism but now every yuppy has them and they all look identical to me. There is a well known saying within the motorcycling community that goes like this......Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into excess noise, without the side effects of creating horsepower....:)

Ha, ha...I say the same words lots!
What a bunch of sheep!
That being said, loud pipes save lives!

icemantbi
06-21-2011, 02:52 PM

HAHAAH!! I gotta tell that quote to my friend, he will get a kick out of that... he hates Harley's too, he goes on and on about how making that sound ruins the engine and forces a rebuild every 5 or so years.

nightingale
06-22-2011, 02:02 PM
This logging off and logging in as 8th is really exhausting!!

Who said you were the same person? It wasn't me. I just was curious why you were always on at the same time. For all I know you two are secret lovers that like to post together....good for you. ;)

8th
06-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Do you have a nurse avatar because your father made you play dress up when he had sex with you? Or are you just emotionally disturbed and trying to start trouble? LOL

bilbo79
06-24-2011, 11:50 AM
South Park had the best biker epsiode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDv-L4eTwnA

Miss Nigsito
06-24-2011, 12:31 PM
According to this, something's finally being done about it out west:

Motorcycle fans, start your engines —that is, if they don’t have too much growl.
The Edmonton Police Service (EPS) is kicking off their second season of bike sound level enforcement by offering bikers free testing clinics to make sure their bikes comply with the Edmonton Community Standards Noise Bylaw.
“If you’re concerned about your motorcycle and how much noise it’s emitting, we’ll be more then happy to test your vehicle, and let you know how you fair,” said Const. Eric Theuser, who is overseeing the noise level program.
The EPS noise level testing program has been expanded since last year, adding another 10 trained officers to the 36 trained last year.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/06/02/police-set-to-ticket-noisy-motorcycles

J B
06-24-2011, 02:39 PM
So that's where you've been hiding!!

Luv'inLife
06-24-2011, 02:49 PM

I completely agree...better then the rumble of the washing machine ladies,lol

Peety
06-24-2011, 03:23 PM
LOL. your machine rumbles..

ByrdDawg
06-24-2011, 05:05 PM
All you have to do is post a sign on your lawn that says:

ATTENTION HARLEY OWNERS !

PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE YOUR NOISY,

OIL DRIPPING PIECES OF SCRAP IRON

PAST MY HOUSE !

THANK YOU !

and I'm sure the rest of your summer will be quite peaceful. :) :)

official soonet pu$$ycat
06-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Or a sign that says "Long gray beards are ugly"

J B
06-24-2011, 06:37 PM
#####!!

Xzavia
06-24-2011, 06:50 PM
LOL!!!

I don't mind them, mind you our bike riding neighbours are pretty respectfull when around homes (from what I've "heard" anyway).

BAILEYDOG
06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
I am on the fence with this one, i live near an intersection and hear bikes and cars and trucks with loud exhausts all the time. They like to hard accelerate from that corner. This was a major source of irritation for me when the kids were young as the sound was so loud it would shake our house and wake the kids up. Now that they are older and used to it they dont wake up anymore. I understand the issue of safety for the bikes but what is the reason for the cars and trucks?

official soonet pu$$ycat
06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
#####!!

Whoa easy there!! #dontbashthehash

nightingale
06-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Do you have a nurse avatar because your father made you play dress up when he had sex with you? Or are you just emotionally disturbed and trying to start trouble? LOL

;)..