PDA

View Full Version : advise, please

kitca
06-24-2011, 11:49 AM
hi, i need some advise for my doggie area. ive never had this problem before, but our peisha is a digger and a player and our back yard area is a bit of a disaster now.

we used to have a gravel walk and lawn and the dogs are on a clothes line so they get plenty of room. peisha has decided to dig holes everywhere and dig up my garden too. so now the grass is all gone and its clay covered with soil and with all this rain it is slippery and messy. she also thinks everything is a toy for her pleasure.

i am thinking i have to put something down to control the mud and dirt. what i would like to do is what i have done in the past. lay down some old carpeting and put gravel or rocks or something over top of it (i did this in the driveway area) because of the tree roots or the clay or whatever if i just lay stone on top of the ground it sinks in and the mud comes up over top.

so, somehow i need a border to contain the gravel/rock/ whatever, and then some sort of something rock/gravel. does anyone have any ideas?

i cant put that black plastic garden divider in because there are just way too many tree roots. i dont think i can lay anything down because peisha will just dig it up and rip it up.

i have heard of an idea on the gardenwebsite where they put down dry cement mix, put the rocks on top and sprayed it all in to set. someone did a whole mowing strip around their yard that way and said it worked just great.

please, no negative comments, just any ideas or advise. thanks.

GreyWolf
06-24-2011, 12:21 PM
What breeds?
They are probably in need of extra stimulation: For example if you take them for a walk a half hour a day- try one hour, if you take them for an hour, do two hours daily- plus a run on leash.
Find activities they could do, maybe train them different tricks-extra bonding time with an exercise.

Most digging problems are either to do with breed (and they will need a lot of tiring out, more so than most people think) or it's to do with boredom, and it is essentially the same solution.

If you're able to tire them out each day, you may not need to buy anything extra to do to your yard.

Hope you are able to solve this, it's a bad problem among many high energy dogs.

kitca
06-24-2011, 02:01 PM
thanks, they are both mixed breeds. it is our new peisha who is the 'problem'. she is like a big goofy puppy. collie mix. we dont know what else.

we walk them religiously every evening! off leash at ft. creek. unless its pouring rain then we just run around the block on leash. they get lots of love and attention. they have kongs and bones and toys. they come for car rides and go to the grandparents in goulais on the weekend. they are regular family members.

i think peisha digs to cool off and also probably from her days living in the bush for survival.

we definatly need to fix up their area of the yard, like i said its muddy and dirty. i could just dump a couple yards of pit run on it all, but no, im hoping for a better solution...

GreyWolf
06-24-2011, 06:05 PM
thanks, they are both mixed breeds. it is our new peisha who is the 'problem'. she is like a big goofy puppy. collie mix. we dont know what else.

we walk them religiously every evening! off leash at ft. creek. unless its pouring rain then we just run around the block on leash. they get lots of love and attention. they have kongs and bones and toys. they come for car rides and go to the grandparents in goulais on the weekend. they are regular family members.

i think peisha digs to cool off and also probably from her days living in the bush for survival.

we definatly need to fix up their area of the yard, like i said its muddy and dirty. i could just dump a couple yards of pit run on it all, but no, im hoping for a better solution...

I don't know if this will be too helpful or not, but I'm a bit Ceasar Milan fan lol, and some of his eps he was explaining how being off leash isn't enough exercise for a dog, that they really do need onleash walks that are fast paced for at least one hour at min. - I think that's why he recomends the rollerblades. I was lucky, I had a basset hound so my walking was running to her lol. I hope you find a solution, but in the chance this could work too I wanted to throw it out there.

kitca
06-24-2011, 08:26 PM
thanks greywolf. i think peisha is just a goof!

Tansy
06-25-2011, 04:38 AM
I was at my wit's end with my doggie Diva for this as well. (Since passed two years ago now.) I wound up giving her a specific area that she was allowed to dig into, and immediately filling any other holes she dug with her own poop with a layer of earth atop it. I was worried that this would leave bare patches in my lawn because of the poop buried but oddly enough it grew over just fine, and she didn't want to dig due to the poop she could smell under the layer of earth (but we couldn't smell, thank goodness!).

kitca
06-25-2011, 10:06 AM
hmmm, thats a good idea. she seems to be sticking with her 3 holes. huge ones that she lies inside. her urine has also killed all the grass in that area. it must be a female thing. when we had males the grass grew all around the yard, but since a few years ago and a female everywhere she peed it would die. and now with peisha, same thing. maybe i should be bottling it as a grass killer. all natural grass killer!

TNT
06-25-2011, 03:51 PM
hmmm, thats a good idea. she seems to be sticking with her 3 holes. huge ones that she lies inside. her urine has also killed all the grass in that area. it must be a female thing. when we had males the grass grew all around the yard, but since a few years ago and a female everywhere she peed it would die. and now with peisha, same thing. maybe i should be bottling it as a grass killer. all natural grass killer!

GROSSSSS! LOL If any of you find a successful way let me know! I tried the poop in the holes thing...that didnt work. My oldest girl dug a freakin "mote" around our house, which has since then healed so to speak, but this pup I still have here that I kept as a stud....he's a digger too, and his holes are HUGE!!! Thankfully they're in the run and ive been capping them off with patio stones for now. Ugh, the things we put up with both as mothers and pet owners. LOL

gouligann
06-30-2011, 07:34 PM
I think she might be digging deeper to get to the cooler, more moist dirt. That's what our lab used to do under our front steps. Once she dug so deep under the timbers, she got stuck under there lol. Bawling like a suckie baby lol. A friend had to get a hold of her scruff and pull her out.

What about digging her largest hole even deeper with a trench to get to it, and then top it off with a heavy board (or large dog house, etc) that she can climb under to keep cool? Might be messy when it rains though... but maybe then she'd leave the other holes alone after you fill them in?

kitca
07-04-2011, 12:11 PM
yes, i think she is indeed digging for the cool soil. we left her one nice big hole underneath a cedar in the middle of what used to be a flowergarden. they have lots of shade back there and it is nice. what we did was got a yard of slag and made a circurlar pattern and filled it with the slag. they said the slag would sit better and sort of pack on the clay. now as i collect pretty rocks i will add them to the slag. it has done wonders for the mud situation. and since we put the slag everywhere where they go it seems to have discouraged the digging. she still does, but seems to give up after a few inches instead of a foot or more. so not muddy. and it looks nice because we just sort of followed the dead grass area anyway but made the circle pattern. i used large rocks to border it in and hold the smaller stuff in place. its been 10 days so far and good. they both seem to like laying right on it.