PDA

View Full Version : help with error message

ssmarie
07-04-2011, 03:22 AM
when visiting a website and wanting to email them I click on their address and get the following error message:

Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed.

How do I fix this? Any help is appreciated but remember to lay it out it easy terms - I am not that familiar with the computer...thanks

ByrdDawg
07-04-2011, 09:35 AM
If you see their e-mail address, try copying it into the regular e-mail program that you normally use. If you are clicking on a button on their website that says " contact us " or something similiar, it may be trying to open a different e-mail program on your computer, like Microsoft Outlook. I could be wrong, but it's a possibility.

ssmarie
07-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Yes, that is what is happening when I click on Contact us - I used to be able to do this and now I can't

ByrdDawg
07-04-2011, 03:09 PM
how do you normally send e-mail ?

hotmail ? yahoo ?

ssmarie
07-04-2011, 04:15 PM
shaw

ByrdDawg
07-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Use your shaw e-mail to contact them. Don't use the "contact us" button.

Hans
07-04-2011, 05:55 PM
If you are using Windows 7 go to start-default programs. Ensure your e-mail client is set as the default client, with all it's default settings.

ssmarie
07-04-2011, 07:40 PM
If you are using Windows 7 go to start-default programs. Ensure your e-mail client is set as the default client, with all it's default settings.

I am using windows vista and I did what you suggested - all default settings are a go and it still doesn't work

ssmarie
07-07-2011, 02:54 PM
bump

ByrdDawg
07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Ok - if you don't mind telling us the website that you wish to contact, we can try to see if we can figure out how to contact them, and then show you how.

ssmarie
07-14-2011, 08:21 PM
I can contact a website with my shaw email no problem - my problem is .... if I am on a particular site (ex. jackofalltrades website) and I click on the "contact us" link, I can not do it directly from that site....I get the error message - I used to be able to do it before and now it is not allowing me to. I get the message all the time - it doesn't matter what site it is

dancingqueen
07-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Do you have this problem on all websites? Or just some of them? is your windows mail set up to be default?
open windows mail, go to tools, options, then under the General tab, press the button that says make defaut at the bottom