PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an easy pickled egg recipe.

Xzavia
07-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Hubby loves pickled eggs so I figured I'd pickle up some of these farm fresh eggs we've got. Looking for a simple recipe to do this, something you've tried and liked if possible.

I was always told it was simple to do but looking online for a recipe is like trying to weed the garden, sometimes you don't know what is good and what isn't.

Thanks!

MaO3
07-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Hey Xzavia

my mom makes them all the time. She said the trick is to poke the egg with a needle in one end (after you peel them) and before you drop them in the vinegar and water solution.

she does her vinegar and water half and half.
Drop the boiled peeled eggs into jars.
throw in a few slices of onion (optional)
Cover with vinegar and water
Seal - let stand a minimum of 2 weeks -- ideally 3

They dont' need to be refrigerated while "curing" but should be after you open them...

Xzavia
07-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks Ma!!

That sounds perfect and easy! I'd talked to someone once and they said they were easy but I forgot the "how to" part, that sounds alot like it from what I remember now. Hubby will be estatic...he's only been asking for them for a long long time!:embarassed:

kitca
07-05-2011, 06:38 PM
my friend does hers similar only with vinegar and beer instead of water.

heintzman
07-06-2011, 02:21 AM
quite often i have used the left overs of a spent jar of pickles, and just plopped some hard boiled eggs in a good jar of home made pickle juice for 2 wks. it came out ok for me, but i have read that u should boil the juice again , then put the eggs in,, even with a store boughten juice,,,, and it would be fine,,, as i was looking for a sweet dill pickle recipe, and all i could find was a store boughten, then add sugar,,, which i was not looking for,,, found my recipe from a friend on manitoulin,, can't wait to try it!

A*lil*Loopy
07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Something that hasn't been mentioned is the using of farm fresh eggs. Well, they don't peel easily at all when fresh and can end up a real mess.
Soooo, if you are using fresh eggs you need to boil them, then cool them off well, then heat them up again. That's how we have to do it with our fresh eggs so that I don't end up with eggs that look like they've been through a grinder.
Also using a teaspoon under running water (or at least a very wet cracked egg) helps the shell slide off easily without picking it off. Faster, neater.