PDA

View Full Version : Canning And Pickling Question

CANDY_74
07-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Where can Pickled or/and canned (jams,pickled beets, dill pickles, tomatoes, fruits etc) stuff be stored?

Is the basement cold enough or do they have to be in a 'Cold Room'?

yoda
07-07-2011, 05:09 PM
They should be fine as long as they were processed and sealed properly. Keep them in the coolest part of the basement and try to darken the area so the colour doesn't leach out

CANDY_74
07-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks Yoda!! We do have a cold room here but its being used for storage and theres tons in there right now, as our basement area itself isnt a big area.

So now Ive either gotta figure out where the darkest and coolest place is or clean the cold room out....and thats a job all on its own...lol... :)

heintzman
08-03-2011, 11:37 PM
What?? U have a cold room, and you are not hanging Salami, or storing preserves?? oh , Shame!!
actually jealous,,, thats all! wish i had one!

CANDY_74
08-05-2011, 05:50 PM
What?? U have a cold room, and you are not hanging Salami, or storing preserves?? oh , Shame!!
actually jealous,,, thats all! wish i had one!

lol....I want to use mine but because of the storage issues here its full of stuff...Im actually planning on going through it very shortly and getting rid of a bunch of stuff :)

I really really really have a craving for peaches....lol...

A*lil*Loopy
08-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Mmmm I love peach butter or apple/peach jelly. I saw them on sale and figured I'd better get busy.