PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Laptops???

CANDY_74
07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Im looking to get 1 or 2 laptops in the house (1 for me and 1 for my daughter) but I don't know alot about them, so I thought Id come here to ask about them...
I don't have alot of money to spend on them either....

The following I saw online and was wondering if theyre good or not....If you can tell me the good & the bad about each of them Id appreciate it, and maybe tell me if any of them would be worth buying also....

HP nx9030 LAPTOP
Model nx9030
1.50ghz processor
40gig hard drive, 512mb ram
dvdrom/cdrw drive
Running winXP
Has Office
Internal wireless,
Internet ready
$100

Dell Inspiron 1300
1.40ghz processor
80gig hard drive, 256mb ram
dvdrom/cdrw drive
Running WinXP, and Office
Internal Wireless, Internet ready
$100

Model nx6110
has a 1.60ghz processor
80gig hard drive, 512mb or ram
dvdrom/cdrw drive
Running winXP has Office
Has wireless
Internet ready
$120

ByrdDawg
07-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I personally would not buy a used laptop online. It's like buying a used car without seeing or driving it.

You should be able to find something locally. At least you would be dealing with a real person and could throw a rock through their window if they rip you off.

Aside from that, if all you want to do is surf the web and e-mail, those laptops would do the job. You will need a wireless router if you are going to run 2 of them.

CANDY_74
07-15-2011, 02:33 PM
The ones I posted above are on sootoday......so theyre are local...

I just want to know if any of them are worth it.

And they'd be just used for surfing the web and email etc.....My daughter will be going to College starting in the Fall of 2012 though.....

And yes we've got a wireless router at home

ByrdDawg
07-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I would think the batteries are probably pretty much shot and you would have to run them on the power supply all the time - ask the seller. The operating system and other software is probably pirated. Ask the seller. If they work ok and keep chugging away for a couple of years, not a bad deal. If they die in 2 months, not so much.

If the seller says he will support them, good. They are used laptops - no guarantees.

If your daughter is taking any media related courses in college, they probably won't cut it, but if all she wants is some word processing and simple tasks then ok.

bilbo79
07-26-2011, 03:10 PM
If you're only looking to spend $100 they're fine. Remember though, you get what you pay for. Make sure you can see them working and they boot up without issue and if possible get the the operating system (Windows) discs.