PDA

View Full Version : Obstetrician Question??? For The Women......

CANDY_74
07-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Ok so Ive got a question for the women on here.

Who is a good Obstetrician in the Soo?
I know theres Dr.Hergott, Dr. Zehr, Dr. Gupta, Dr. Amimi and Dr. Fam

So who would you recommend out of the above???
And why???

I had one of the Doctors above before (Im not going to mention who)....and Im just looking to see who would recommend who.....

Thanks

yoda
07-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Dr. Hergott delivered my youngest grandaughter. Everything went well, although it was an uncomplicated pregnancy.

Dragonfly
07-16-2011, 11:14 AM
All except Dr. Amimi. I have heard many horror stories about her, some being very close to me and have seen first hand. In both my pregnancies I had Dr. Zehr as my primary doctor and had Fam and Gupta at points throughout including deliveries and loved all 3 of them a lot. I never had Hergott but I have heard great things about him as well

HDV
07-16-2011, 11:27 AM
We had doctor Hergott for our daughter and he was great. Dr, Amimi and Dr Zehr are friends of the family and they are nice people. I cant say anything about them professionally. Dr Amimi I heard from friends is awesome. I have heard good things about Dr. Fam.

CANDY_74
07-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Ok now my next question is where are there offices close to?
I know Hergott is still across from the Plummer....

But something a little closer to where Im located, so I don't have to travel all the way (or close to it) across town would be nice...lol....

And thanks for the answers btw.... :)

Barry Morris
07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Why not a mid-wife??

CANDY_74
07-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Ive never actually of that before....hmmmm......

Maybe I'll look into it, get more info etc...

My other pregnancies were all with an OB or a family Doctor, but I don't have either.....

Where or who would I call to get more info about a mid-wife?

MagicFingers
07-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Ok I have had a lot of issues with two ectopic pregnancies and some fertility issues so I can tell you a little.

Dr.Zehre was my doctor at the time I had my first ectopic but we didn't know that was what it was and while in emerg I saw the regular emerg doctors who consulted with both Zehre and Amimi at different times. I also had a doctor in emerg that was from Ottawa he comes to town every 3 weeks or so he was also very good. No issues

With my second ectopic it was Dr. Fam who diagnosed and made the initial treatment and she was amazing, I have friends who have had her and love her. Unfortunately there were complications after I was released and my tube ruptured still as the medication did not work as it was supposed to. I was rushed by ambulance and had almost bled to death.....Dr Hergot treated me at the hospital that day and did emergency surgery to remove my tube and he was amazing. I had a panic attack amongst everything else and he sat with me and explained and reassured me that he wouldn't remove anything but my ruptured tube. While he was fixing me up he even took pics to show me my ovaries, and tube and the ectopic pregnancy to reassure me that I still had my ovaries and other tube. He was super amazing.

During my third pregnancy for which I have my beautiful boy....My doctor was dr Zehre, After 4 days of labor at home and then going itno the hospital and lots of monitoring Dr. Amimi explained my situation and let my husband and I decide what we wanted and we chose Csection and she was absolutely right. She is a kind, wonderful down to earth amazing person. She explains things to you in lamens terms so you understand she gives you the options, the is friendly and when she talks to you or does anything it feels like you have known her all your life. Absolutely loved her. As much as I love Zehre because without her I wouldn't have my beautiful boy if I had a choice I would choose Dr. Amimi.

As for the midwives you can call but they will do an assessment and see if you qualify...IE your not high risk etc. Based on age, history, weight, health.

However you don't really get to choose who your doctor will be as I was hard pressed for Dr Zehre to take me back as a patient to get pregnant a second time after only a year of not seeing her. Said she wasn't taking new patients. I tried Fam, Grupta, and Amimi and was told the same thing.

CANDY_74
07-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Wow!! Thanks for all the info Magic!! :)

So in other words Im gonna be hoping for Dr. Zehr then? :)

I just want a good doctor considering that Im over 35 and it gets a little touch and go then (or at least thats what ive heard..lol..) but considering the fact that Im healthy etc....I should be ok...

And so far the only thing thats really bothered me is that pretty much EVERYTHING I eat makes me feel nauseous...lol...I don't get sick though, which really sucks, because then Id feel way better.....

BrAt
07-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Oh, I wish I had the energy today to type out my opinion. lol

Zehr - NEVER...EVER...EVER ugh.
Hergott - Bad bedside manner but fantastic doctor... especially if you need a c-section
Amimi - Wonderful woman and very patient during delivery
Fam - Had no experience with her but have heard she can be quite rude
Gupta - No experience and haven't heard anything

Oh ya, and WOW!!!!! Congratulations! lol

CANDY_74
07-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Sent you a PM Brat :)

BrAt
07-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Got 'em and replied. :)

MagicFingers
07-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Wow!! Thanks for all the info Magic!! :)

I just want a good doctor considering that Im over 35 and it gets a little touch and go then (or at least thats what ive heard..lol..) but considering the fact that Im healthy etc....I should be ok...

And so far the only thing thats really bothered me is that pretty much EVERYTHING I eat makes me feel nauseous...lol...I don't get sick though, which really sucks, because then Id feel way better.....

Im 36 was 35 when I had my son....trying to get pregnant again and I have zehre. I love her, again without her I wouldn't ave my boy.

MagicFingers
07-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Oh, I wish I had the energy today to type out my opinion. lol

Zehr - NEVER...EVER...EVER ugh.
Hergott - Bad bedside manner but fantastic doctor... especially if you need a c-section
Amimi - Wonderful woman and very patient during delivery
Fam - Had no experience with her but have heard she can be quite rude
Gupta - No experience and haven't heard anything

Oh ya, and WOW!!!!! Congratulations! lol

Hergots bedside manner was amazing, he was wonderful with me.

zoo crew
07-18-2011, 06:27 PM
During my pregnancy with my daughter we ended up having a few complications so I did get to know a couple of the OB's. Dr. Fam is wonderful, she was my primary care provider. If you want someone who kinda lets nature do it's thing (unless problems arise) then Fam is for you. Dr. Amimi is also fabulous. She's too the point but has a very kind way of going about things. I absolutely can't tolerate Dr. Zehr, she was awful to deal with. Her bedside manner was very uncomfortable and I just didn't have a good experience with her. Dr. Hergott ended up delivering my daughter. He's a great doctor but again has no bedside manner. I'm one of those people that deals with pain through humour and he just wasn't good at that, other then the bed side manner he was a good doctor. Hope that helps, and good luck!

goodasgold
07-19-2011, 12:14 AM
For my first, I had a fabulous doctor that is no longer practicing here, Dr. Olupona. So when I got pregnant the second time, I decided to go with a female doctor. Had Dr. Zehr and I did not like her one bit. My son would come to my appointments and he thought the NP was the actual doctor. I think I spent maybe an hour speaking with her throughout my pregnancy. She actually gave me heck about gaining 5 lbs in a week at the end of term and kept asking why my BP was so high. Thankfully she didn't do the delivery and I had an out of town doctor. My son was born with only mecconium around him, little to no water left. Not breathing....doctor was actually upset afterwards saying that all those signs were missed by Zehr and was an indication he should have been born earlier. I was released without seeing Zehr and at my six week checkup still didn't see her.
So for my last pregnancy I went with Amimi and she was fabulous. Great with my kids and myself. She did regular ultrasounds to make sure that my baby didn't get as big as the second one. She found an ovarian cyst and ended up doing surgery later on. She delivered my daughter and I had issues afterwards and she was right there for me. If I am ever in need of an OB/GYN, she will be my first request.
My only suggestion, if you see someone and you don't feel comfortable, look for someone else.

Punkin
07-19-2011, 08:17 AM
The only downside in all of this would be the actual delivery. Unless it's a planned induction/csection with your OB.. you get who ever is on call. So you can deal with the best doctor throughout your pregnancy (which is a huge must.. I know!).. but doesn't guarantee you get that doctor for delivery.

I've had 4 babies! :) My oldest I had Dr. Crookston .. this was in 99 when he was still delivering babies, so I had him throughout pregnancy & called in for delivery... he's great!
My other 3 I had Dr. Zehr as my Ob/Gyn and I had no problems with her.. although like goodasgold said.. you spend more time with her NP Julie, then you do with her. Which in my opinion.. having Dr. Zehr (or even Dr. Fam) is worth it just to have Julie... she is AMAZING.. if only she would be a full fledged ob/gyn & deliver babies. However.. for each of my deliveries, I had a different doctor.

I had a miscarriage & required a D&C..Zehr was on call and she had the manner that she was upset that I interrupted her weekend.. but she did a great job.

My son I had Dr. Hergott.... absolutely hated him. (Although I'm sure he's the one you want if something goes wrong!!)... I understand he was busy the night my son was born.. but I required a lot of stitches.. thanks to him... so he froze me.. went & delivered a baby.. then stitched me up when half the freezing wore off.. telling me to "suck it up you just delivered a baby" .. umm yeah okay...

My 3rd I had Dr. Farrell.. I think he's from London.. Best delivery ever! He didn't take me off the Gas to deliver her.. so my body did all the work.. not one tear or stitch! He was nice...

My 4th.. I had Dr. Amimi... although she failed to break my water when I went in for induction.. she was great. LIke many others said.. she is too the point, but in a kind way. Speaks to you so you understand everything going on.. I had to have an emergency C-Section.. and by the time she noticed I needed that.. it was over in less than 1/2 hour... she stayed my "doctor" in the hospital as Zehr was away & even had me to her office to get my staples out. I loved her the most.. and kicked myself for never requesting her as my OB/GYN.

Not sure if this information helps at all..just giving my opinion :) I'd go Amimi all the way!

CANDY_74
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Well I went in for my blood work yesterday and OB referral...and the OB on call was................Dr.Hergott....lol....

So I guess Ive got him again, I didnt really mind him from when I had my son, but I hardly ever saw him, i saw the NP all the time...

But anyways the bloodwork should be back within a few days and then I'll be able to go and for sure see how far along I am, but if the start of my LMP is an indication then Im going to be 11 weeks on the Saturday coming up :)

Thanks for all the info.....

And Magic Im 36 also going to be 37 in December :)

Dragonfly
07-19-2011, 12:44 PM
I had Farrell and he was fantastic :) Too bad you can't guarantee that he will be there

HDV
07-19-2011, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=Punkin;666702]
My other 3 I had Dr. Zehr as my Ob/Gyn and I had no problems with her.. although like goodasgold said.. you spend more time with her NP Julie, then you do with her. Which in my opinion.. having Dr. Zehr (or even Dr. Fam) is worth it just to have Julie... she is AMAZING.. if only she would be a full fledged ob/gyn & deliver babies. However.. for each of my deliveries, I had a different doctor.

Julie is no longer practicing here. :( She was my NP. I got a letter in the mail about 6-7 months ago telling me she was leaving town and I now have a new doctor . Her name is Dr.Kris O-something.lol Cant pronounce or spell her last name :(. I loved Julie she was great.

HDV
07-19-2011, 01:11 PM

I ll send you a pm.

MagicFingers
07-19-2011, 02:43 PM
My 3rd I had Dr. Farrell.. I think he's from London.. Best delivery ever! He didn't take me off the Gas to deliver her.. so my body did all the work.. not one tear or stitch! He was nice...

Nope he is from Ottawa.. Queensway Carleton Hospital to be exact. I have had him as well.

icecapp
07-20-2011, 06:21 PM
I myself had Dr Zehr as a young girl.. and I loved her then, Then when It come time to have kids I did not even hesitate to go to her..

She delivered 1 out of my 3, My first she was there for and fantastic, My second I had Dr Victory, OHHHHHH yummy.. and my 3rd the nurse delivered...

I had to deal with Dr fam a few times, I did not like her,

I also delt with Dr ammi when Dr Zehr was on holidays as I had my tubes tied and got pregnant again and did not know what to do, I called all obgyn offices to get an answer and She was the only one to offer advice, so I have nothing bad to say about her as she saved my life aswell as my sons.

rmkryan
07-21-2011, 01:48 AM
From a guys point of view. My wife had Fam for all of her pregnancies. She was really involved with me as well asking my opinion on things and I really liked that. She was great with my wife who had complications during and after delivery. She can be a little upfront at times but she knows what she is doing.

BrAt
07-21-2011, 11:18 AM
icecapp, I had Dr. Victory for the delivery of my son as well. Didn't you find him to be an ass? lol I did not like him AT ALL.

icecapp
07-23-2011, 12:55 AM
icecapp, I had Dr. Victory for the delivery of my son as well. Didn't you find him to be an ass? lol I did not like him AT ALL.

He was fantastic with me, I wish I would of had him for all my deliverys.. he kinda had a sick sense of humor, much like myself.. lol maybe thats why I got along with him.. but on a serious note.. he was fantastic, and did not fruck around with my hypertenstion(sp) I had 3 brutal pragnacys....

everywoman
07-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Congrats Candy!!!!!!!

CANDY_74
07-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Ok Im getting really sick and tired of waiting for the darn blood test results!!
I went and got them done last Monday morning and was told that they'd be in by Wednesday....

I called Dr.Hergotts office Monday late afternoon and they still hadnt recieved anything....but said thay should recieve them the next day; I still hadnt heard anything from them by Thursday afternoon so I called the Life Labs and the guy I spoke to on the phone said that the results had already been sent away to the Dr.s

So I was calling and calling today and it was constantly busy..I finally got through and the secretary said that nope there was nothing there at all!! She told me to call back tomorrow.....

I don't ever remember getting the run around before for any of my pregnancies.....I hope I don't have to go back and get more tests done, I hate getting blood taken :(

CANDY_74
07-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Congrats Candy!!!!!!!

:) Thanks

blueeyedgirl
07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
I have had Dr. Amimi since I was 16 yrs old. I cannot have children but deal with her for other issues. She is so patient and makes you feel extremely comfortable. She will explain things in great detail if that is what you need. I have had two surgeries with her and she helped me relax because i was so scared lol. I know a few other people who have had or for their pregnancies or for issues and they have had nothing but good things to say about her. I have never heard anything negative. Don't know any of the others so can't offer an opinion there. However each person will like or get along better with one dr based on your personality. Congrats on your pregnancy!

CANDY_74
07-26-2011, 03:50 PM
:) blueeyed girl for the Congrats!!

CANDY_74
07-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Well today I called Dr.hergotts office AGAIN to see if they had my results in and...................Its official :)

My due date is February 11/2012 :D We still havent said anything to the kids at all, and its so hard to keep my mouth shut...lol...

And we have to wait cuz my oldest is camping til Thursday *sigh*

Xzavia
07-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Congratulations!!!

I've had both Hergot and Zehr, can't complain about either. With my boys it was easy pregnancies with no complications, but after being diagnosed with Diabetes in 2000 and getting pregnant in 2002 it was totally different story. Dr.Zehr and Julie were there with me the whole time, and any diabetic knows how much fun (sarcastic) it is to keep on top of your sugar levels in a normal day-to-day routine, throw some pregnancy hormones in the mix and look out!

Dr.Zehr and Julie never once ran out of patience with me, they were both awesome. I'd go to them without question if I ever had to again. Dr.Zehr is the one (IMO) to have in your corner if you have any problems/fears/whatever through your whole pregnancy. Both in the office and at the hospital she was patient, caring and helpfull to both me and the Hubby during our long association to make sure our baby girl got the chance she deserved.

MagicFingers
07-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Julie is no longer practicing here. :( She was my NP. I got a letter in the mail about 6-7 months ago telling me she was leaving town and I now have a new doctor . Her name is Dr.Kris O-something.lol Cant pronounce or spell her last name :(. I loved Julie she was great.

I just returned from the doctor and JULIE is there. I actually mentioned this to the other nurses who laughed that Julie never left. Don't know who this Dr. Kris person is though. But for anyone wondering JULIE is still with the Group Health and still in the OB office.

HDV
07-28-2011, 03:33 PM
We are talking about Julie Briglio right? I received this letter in January 201I and it says this:

Dear Patient:

Due to my expanded role in Obstetrics and gynecology I will be discontinuing my primary care practice in feb 2011.

I am pleased to relay that Dr. Kris Opryszczko has agreed to assume your care as of feb 15th 2011.

I have enjoyed managing your health care concerns and wish you good health.
Sincerely Julie Briglio.

It goes on to explain how to fill out the patient enrollment form attached.

So if she is still there, i wonder why i received this letter from her?

Dragonfly
07-28-2011, 05:45 PM
I dont think primary care and what she is doing is the same thing

MagicFingers
07-28-2011, 06:26 PM
I told her about this letter and she knows nothing about it and the nurses were laughing and none of them knew anything about it. I don't doubt what you are saying but I question the source. If I were you I would call them and tell them about it, possibly bring it in because it is NOT true at all. And yes Julie Briglio is who we are talking about or me at least.

HDV
07-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Well the letter is right from the group health center, it had a form on the back i filled out to mail in for the other doctor. It is even signed by Julie..lol I dunno maybe I will call. I dont know how they can say they know nothing about the letter, they sent it to me..lol weird.

im going to call right now and see. I ll post in a second as to what they say..lol

HDV
07-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Ok i got it all figured out. I called and Julie is not in her office till august 3rd. Anyways I spoke to registration, read them my letter and she said that Julie did not send out the letter that registration did. Julie is strictly doing gynecology now. She use to take on the role of a family doctor but now is not. So that is why I was refereed to Kris. So her primary care practice is no longer she is just gynecology. So because I had Dr.Deluco and he lost his license, i was able to get into see Julie right way, just because. But now that she is just gynecology she figured she would refer me to Kris as my family doctor. Which is fine by me :)
Oh well, least i got it all figured out. But the way the letter was wrote, it sounded like she was no longer going to be there. :)

lynys
07-29-2011, 04:39 PM
I'll be honest...

Dr. Gupta was my ob for my pregnancy. She was so-so. In reality, it is Julie who does all of the work, and should deserve all of the praise. The DR. walked in, asked three questions everytime and said, "Okay... see you next week." I had to stop her to ask any questions I had, and even then, she had no clue what I was talking about. (this was in regards to my c-section and scheduling)

Dr. Hergott delivered my little girl and he was awesome! Plus, my incision is healing amazingly! In the 45 minutes I dealt with him, I very much appreciated him.

But, once again... Julie rocks! :)

lynys
07-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Why not a mid-wife??

I had a midwife and due to complications had to be transferred to ob care. Not everyone is able to have them you know...

Get out of our woman thread. :P

lynys
07-29-2011, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=Punkin;666702]

Funny cause I have seen Julie practically every week since I was 20 weeks, and she looked like she was there to me.

My last appointment was with her four weeks ago. She checked me out and fawned over my baby. She is still here in town. :)

And now I read the rest of the thread. lol

CANDY_74
07-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Ok so we were talking last night and we both would LOVE to have a water birth!!

Do they do that here in the Soo?
And also where can we go to get a midwife? Because were thinking of going that way maybe too.......

And my last question is if we get a midwife does Dr. Hergott still stay in the picture or ???

Thanks

lynys
08-01-2011, 12:46 AM
If you have a midwife, they are your caregiver. They do your prenatal appointments, send you for tests and deliver your baby. Ideally, a midwife is the way to go, because when you go in labour, they are there with you the entire time until your baby is born. And, there are two of them, so once baby is born, one takes care of you, and one baby.

I had a midwife, but at about five months was switched to physician care due to complications. I was really bummed out, but my c-section experience was positive, so I am happy with the result. I am not sure if I will be allowed to next time, but I would return to a midwife.

I think with midwives too you can do water births or give birth in your home. That is not possible in the hospital.

Punkin
08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I have no confirmed knowledge.. but I thought with the new hospital & maternity ward, they were making it possible for water births? I am probably wrong though.

Edit: I just read the new maternity program and the whirlpool baths are there for pain relief.. would've been good to have it there though.. :)

lynys
08-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah, they are not to be used for birth. Only for chilling out in during labour.

CANDY_74
08-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Well my bathroom here at home definitely is NOT big enough to do a water birth in...lol...Our bathroom is maybe 5X5, and our tub is a clawfoot tub...

That really sucks because as this is my last baby I was so hoping to have a water birth :(

And who would I contact about a midwife? Or can I just ask Dr.Hergotts office about that?

lynys
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Call Midwives of Algoma directly. Do it quickly because they fill up fast. They only take a certain number of people for each month. So, if you are due in Feb, they only have a certain number of spots for Feb.

blueeyedgirl
08-01-2011, 07:14 PM
A friend of mine was looking to do a water birth. You can buy a birthing tub and I am sure that the midwives would have a good reputable place to buy one from.

CANDY_74
08-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks to both of you :)

MagicFingers
08-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Ok so we were talking last night and we both would LOVE to have a water birth!!

Do they do that here in the Soo?
And also where can we go to get a midwife? Because were thinking of going that way maybe too.......

And my last question is if we get a midwife does Dr. Hergott still stay in the picture or ???

Thanks

NO dr hergot will not stay in the picture. If you choose a midwife it is only a midwife unless there are complications and then they will refer you to an OB, if you have to go into the hospital you get whoever is on duty, unless your midwife goes with you. But it is one or the other not both.

lynys
08-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks to both of you :)

No problem. I miss being pregnant! :(

I could still feel baby AND get to sleep uninterrupted. :P

HDV
08-03-2011, 10:12 AM
I see all these posts about how when you go into labour you get the doctor on call and not your gyno. But when I went into have my daughter, when they asked who my gyno was i told them Hergott, and when I was ready to deliver they called him at home to come in. There were no complications or anything.

MagicFingers
08-03-2011, 08:26 PM
That isn't how it is now. When you go in to deliver you get whoever is on duty. The next day most docs do their rounds and your doctor will be in in the AM to check on you. Now you might get lucky and go in when your doc is on duty and then all is well. But really I have had them all and like them all.

lynys
08-04-2011, 12:46 AM
If they are really busy, the doctor on call won't have the time to take care of you. My own doctor was supposed to deliver my baby, because it was a scheduled section, but they were really busy that day and as a result, Dr. Hergott came in after his office closed and did my section.

MagicFingers
08-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Scheduled C sections work differently then if you go into labor, if it is a natural birth and you go into the hospital you get yoru midwife unless you have complications and then you will have the doctor oncall. If you go into labor and go to the hospital you get the doctor oncall. if you have a scheduled c section that is a whole different ball game.

Doctor oncall I mean OBGYN oncall.

lynys
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I am confused by what you are saying?

My section was scheduled, to be done by my ob, who was on call. However, that day was insanely busy, and I did not even see her. Instead, they had Dr. Hergott come in when his office closed to do it.

nightingale
08-13-2011, 05:57 AM
lynys, I had a c-section with my first baby too, but I opted to try for a vback for my second and was successful. Depending on the reason for your section, I highly recommend the vback for next time! It was the most amazing experience of my life! Although I have to say, the recovery was no less painful, just different.

HDV
08-13-2011, 10:02 AM
What is a Vback?

lynys
08-13-2011, 01:40 PM
******l birth after caesarian.

Baby was breech, but I also have a bicornuate uterus. I should have zero problems with the bicornuate, providing baby flips next time. LOL I was just riddled with complications this pregnancy.

MagicFingers
08-15-2011, 08:51 AM
I am confused by what you are saying?

My section was scheduled, to be done by my ob, who was on call. However, that day was insanely busy, and I did not even see her. Instead, they had Dr. Hergott come in when his office closed to do it.

Yes you had a scheduled c section so your circumstances were different. And yes it happened that your personal doc was oncall that day but for most people who naturally go into labor, their doc may not be oncall at which time they get the doctor that is there. So all to often women who have been seeing their regular OBGYN's will have their baby delivered by a different doctor. The hospital does not call your doctor when you go into labor to have them come down to the hospital. I ended up going into labor saw Dr Amimi in the hospital who is not my doc, then had an emergency c section with Dr amimi and for the next couple days had follow up's with whatever doctor was in the hospital.

Intangible
08-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Just my two cents: I had Dr. Zehr for my first, and like most of you, I loved Julie and had more interaction with her than with Zehr. Zehr wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy, but she wasn't bad. She happened to be on call when I went into labour, but she arrived two minutes after the nurse delivered the baby. Just to add, my labour took 6 hours.

For my second, I went with a midwife. The level of care, both on a personal and professional level is unparalleled. First of all, it's free parking (small detail I know) and I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for any appointment. You never feel rushed. They are very thorough and very caring and patient. They give you a lot of options, as far as the whole experience goes, including alternative therapies- like the satchet of herbs they give you for soaking in the bathtub post-partum. You can access your midwife 24-7, and you are guaranteed to have your midwife when you deliver. Like someone else said, you also have a second one so there's one for you and one for the baby. If you want a midwife, you pretty much have to call as soon as the pregnancy test comes back positive. They fill up super fast, and turn away a lot of patients after they fill up. This is why the level of care is so fabulous- they aren't spread too thin. I had to have a C-section, since the baby was breech, but my midwife was still there, although Dr. McIntyre (a locum) did the surgery. The other really major plus of a midwife is the 6 weeks of post partum in home care. They come to your house, tend to you, check the baby, weigh the baby, address any concerns you have including feeding. Plus, again you can call them whenever you have a question or concern. After the 6 weeks, a complete report gets sent to your doctor. I would most definitely recommend a midwife.

lynys
08-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Yes you had a scheduled c section so your circumstances were different. And yes it happened that your personal doc was oncall that day but for most people who naturally go into labor, their doc may not be oncall at which time they get the doctor that is there. So all to often women who have been seeing their regular OBGYN's will have their baby delivered by a different doctor. The hospital does not call your doctor when you go into labor to have them come down to the hospital. I ended up going into labor saw Dr Amimi in the hospital who is not my doc, then had an emergency c section with Dr amimi and for the next couple days had follow up's with whatever doctor was in the hospital.

Yeah, she booked it for her oncall day.

All in all, I was pleased with having Dr. Hergott, though, I had heard terrible things about him. He was very friendly, stitched me up VERY well, and definitely helped me stay calm throughout (by being at ease and chatting away) Also, the anaesthesist (I so know that is spelled incorrectly lol) made me even more at ease. He talked the whole time the procedure happened, and joked about what a great job he did on my spinal. (and he did, cause I didn't know they had started when they did... he actually told me it was half over lol)

Quiddity
08-17-2011, 04:15 PM
I had doctor Zehr for my last 2 pregnancies and I am not sure what everyone's expectations are for bedside manner but I found Dr.Zehr to be thorough and super knowledgeable and supportive. I trust her completely and enjoyed having her as my OG/GYN. She also did one of my C sections. I had Dr. Gupta for a brief period while Dr. Z was off due to surgery and she was also very good. My main concern when I am seeing an OB/GYN is that they take the best care possible of my baby and I. Dr. Zehr did that. I also got to see Julie often and she is incredible.

KRP
08-23-2011, 12:49 AM
I had Dr. Amimi for all of my pregnancies as I was seeing her for fertility issues. I went through all the testing, found out I had a large mass on my ovary, endometriosis in my uterus and PCOS. I had surgery on my uterus, tubes and ovaries, 3 mths later ended up on fertility pills and 3 mths after that pregnant with Identical twins. From day one she was very detailed with everything, explained all the medical terms to me, always straight forward.

The one week she was out of town... I ended up in the hospital here. Dr. Hergott was the one that came in to see me and I hated him from the moment I met him. I was high risk to begin with because of my surgeries and being pregnant with twins. I was 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced and he admitted me and told me to stay in bed. After 2 days of being in there I woke up with cramps, was brought from my room to L&D, given meds to stop the cramps and sent back to my room. 5 min. after being back in my room my water broke... I was 6 mths pregnant. I was rushed back to L&D and Hergott checked me, said "Yup your water broke", took me off the IV's, told me he was putting me into a private room in L&D and told to wait for labour to start. He said I could be there hours or days, but whenever it started he wasn't going to do anything to help my babies because I wasn't far enough along. He left for the night and I screamed asking why he wasn't doing anything more to help me and the nurses said he left and wouldn't come back until he was called in for a labour.

The next morning Dr. Zehr came in and was very mad, she cursed about Hergott not doing anything he was suppose to. He did the opposite, he didn't do a U/S to see if one or both membranes ruptured, didn't check my cervix, didn't put me on anti-biotics... nothing. She called Toronto and then London, had a U/S done, put me on anti-biotics and flew me out that afternoon to London. A week later I went into labour and they couldn't stop it, we lost our first born identical twin boys at 6 mths preg. and the doctor that delivered them was HORRIBLE!! Had the nerve to say "Oh my day just keeps getting better and better" when she broke my water for my second twin and it ended up all down the front of her.

When Amimi got back that's when she found out what happened with me and she contacted me right away, no one had contacted her office to let them know what was going on. I continued to stay with her and she was my OB for my next preg. which ended at 6 wks with a m/c. Got preg. with my son and she did a cerclage at 15 wks, kept a very close eye on me my entire preg. and induced me at the end of my preg. She did the same with my daughter, cerclage at 15 wks, induction at the end. She was absolutely amazing!

I don't have much to say about Fam besides the fact that in 2 of my relatives she refused to induce and let them go overdue each time. With one cousin she let go until almost 43 wks! Others have had great experiences with her. Hergott same thing, others were happy with him but not me... I made it very clear that he was not to touch me after losing my sons and each time I was in L&D I made it clear that someone else was to be called in or I'd leave and drive out of town if I had to. One of the reason I was so happy Amimi opted to break my water both times because of early labour for 2 wks and no progression.

CANDY_74
09-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Well I am now going to have a midwife! :) So my first appointment is Sept. 20th....

And my morning sickness is finally gone :D and I can eat what I want, when I want...yea!!

And Im now 16 weeks 1 day today

Intangible
09-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Great News! Which midwife did you get?

CANDY_74
09-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Fiona is who they told me I was having :)

And Ive gotta go for my 2nd half of my IPS testing within the next 2 weeks and also for my ultrasound within 4-5 weeks...

Intangible
09-07-2011, 06:04 PM
I didn't have her, but I've heard excellent things about her. You will be happy and well cared for. Best of luck with your testing and ultrasound. Keep us posted!

bluekrissyspikes
09-08-2011, 01:25 AM
you are lucky to even get a midwife. i tried and could not so that wasn't even an option for me.
congrats on the pregnancy!

bluekrissyspikes
09-08-2011, 01:38 AM
Yeah, they are not to be used for birth. Only for chilling out in during labour.

yeah and when i was there two years ago i asked them about it and they told me it had to be reserved ahead of time like as if i could know ahead of time when i was going to go into labour.

CANDY_74
09-08-2011, 04:58 PM
you are lucky to even get a midwife. i tried and could not so that wasn't even an option for me.
congrats on the pregnancy!

Yes Im definitely lucky to get one...when I called the lady on the phone said she thought they were booked for February, but she told me to just hold on a second, and when she came back on she said Fiona would be able to take me on...lol...thank god!! With this being my last baby I wanted something different, I had an OB with the others.....

lynys
09-08-2011, 10:54 PM
yeah and when i was there two years ago i asked them about it and they told me it had to be reserved ahead of time like as if i could know ahead of time when i was going to go into labour.

The new hospital has one in all of the birthing rooms. I didn't get to use one though, cause my section was scheduled. :(

lynys
09-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Yes Im definitely lucky to get one...when I called the lady on the phone said she thought they were booked for February, but she told me to just hold on a second, and when she came back on she said Fiona would be able to take me on...lol...thank god!! With this being my last baby I wanted something different, I had an OB with the others.....

Congrats!!! Fiona is a really nice lady. I hope to be able to use them with my next pregnancy. It was unfortunate that I had to be switched to OB care this time around.

CANDY_74
09-09-2011, 11:27 AM
The new hospital has one in all of the birthing rooms. I didn't get to use one though, cause my section was scheduled. :(

Are you talking about a birthing tub?! Thats what I also want to do different this time....is try (lol) to have the baby in the tub.
Our bathroom here at home is maybe 6x6 and the tub is an old clawfoot tub, and its only 5ft so thats off for a water birth....

But Id LOVE to either have the baby in the water OR at home......

lynys
09-09-2011, 12:03 PM
No, they have tubs in the rooms for women to lounge in, but no birthing tubs. You can buy a bigger pool and put it up in your livingroom for birthing in. Good thing about having a midwife is you can try at home. :)

CANDY_74
09-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Yea but how much does it cost to buy one?

And Id have to put it in my kitchen, our livingroom has stupid carpet in it :(

lynys
09-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I dunno. Could probably pick up one of those deeper kiddie pools. But you better get them quick. Christmas stuff is on its way out. lol

bluekrissyspikes
09-12-2011, 08:08 PM
http://waterbirthsolutionsstore.com/category.sc?categoryId=11

prices don't look too bad. worth considering anyways. a kiddie pool is cheaper though, but alot floppier i guess.

CANDY_74
09-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Well had our ultrasound today and the baby was being stubborn about showing its lips or nose...lol...so now Ive gotta go back for another one on September 30th...yeah another full bladder :(

But we did find out what were having?! Any guesses??????

bluekrissyspikes
09-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh, i know, i know...it's either a girl, or a boy. right? i knew it! (:

lynys
09-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Well had our ultrasound today and the baby was being stubborn about showing its lips or nose...lol...so now Ive gotta go back for another one on September 30th...yeah another full bladder :(

But we did find out what were having?! Any guesses??????

I had about 30 ultrasounds. One every week from 18 weeks, plus about 10-12 from 12 weeks to 18 weeks. That's a lot of water and need for bladder control. I rarely had to wake in the night as a result. LOL

I'll say girl. Everyone I know is having a girl. lol

CANDY_74
09-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Oh, i know, i know...it's either a girl, or a boy. right? i knew it! (:

LOL.....hilarious!! Im thinking that its definitely either of those 2 guesses....

CANDY_74
09-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Im having a................................................. .................................................. .......................GIRL!!!!

bluekrissyspikes
09-22-2011, 09:09 PM
awww.......right on. little girls are sooo cute. i love all the little dresses and frilly things. (:

lynys
09-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Im having a................................................. .................................................. .......................GIRL!!!!

Damn, I'm good at this game. LMAO

Congrats!! There is no way I could go through pregnancy without knowing the baby's gender. LOL

CANDY_74
09-23-2011, 04:06 PM
I love all the headbands, bows, barrettes, dresses etc too...lol...

I just was so hoping for a girl though...lol...my little guy was really hoping for a little brother, but I told him that little sisters are cool too, and either way he's gonna be the one she watches and learns from :)

CANDY_74
10-20-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't remember my belly looking this big at this stage with my other babies...I look like Im carrying a soccer ball or basketball under my shirts.....LOL.....and Im almost 24wks

lynys
10-21-2011, 09:14 AM
I felt huge all through my pregnancy, but I've seen some women out there with their belly and OMG! They are massive! LOL

I figure next time around that'll be me cause my muscles are shot. Better get going on some situps. ;)

Hope you're doing well. :)

CANDY_74
10-21-2011, 04:38 PM
I felt huge all through my pregnancy, but I've seen some women out there with their belly and OMG! They are massive! LOL

I figure next time around that'll be me cause my muscles are shot. Better get going on some situps. ;)

Hope you're doing well. :)

I know I watch that Baby Story show everyday on tv and some of those women are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!! And I know their 9mths already but I was never that big...lol...

And yes Im doing so much better now, at the beginning all I wanted to do was sleep and I was nauseous all the time so I didnt want to eat even though I knew I had to...But my appetite has come back with a vengeance!! LOL

And with my other pregnancies I didnt 'nest' til a few weeks before I went into labor, with this little one Im always cleaning and baking etc...it never stops

CANDY_74
10-21-2011, 04:42 PM
And another thing too, do the mommies on here remember when they could poke at their prego bellies and the baby would kick back pretty much in the same spot? I do it all the time now (or at least when I know shes not sleeping...

Well I tried to get my fiance to do it the other night, and he says its wrong to do it..lol..that he feels like hes beating on her...and it didnt matter what I said to him I couldn't get him to do it. I said 'its like playing a game with her' and he said 'no,its wrong'

LOL....men sometimes eh?

This pregnancy feels like its my first one though, even after having 4 other babies prior to this one, I think alot of it has to do with because my youngest is 7yrs old, so its been awhile since Ive been pregnant