PDA

View Full Version : Drivers License Question

hobo
07-19-2011, 06:48 PM
My daughter just recieved her G license in the mail - she went through the g1 and g2 process. Her new G license expires in a year and I thought that drivers licenses were good for 5 years. Am I wrong?

Barry Morris
07-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Somewhere here:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/renewal.shtml

hobo
07-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I checked out the government site earlier but it dosn't tell me the length of validation. Oh well - guess I will phone the local office in the morning.

Larimar
07-19-2011, 07:24 PM
weird!

Larimar
07-19-2011, 07:48 PM
I am told there's a fee to renew but no test.

Tutones
07-19-2011, 08:15 PM
My daughter just recieved her G license in the mail - she went through the g1 and g2 process. Her new G license expires in a year and I thought that drivers licenses were good for 5 years. Am I wrong?

She paid for a G2 exit road test, not a license renewal. She is still in the original 5 year period and will renew her license for another 5 years when the current one expires next year.

hobo
07-19-2011, 08:20 PM
My daughter did the G1, G2 thing all well within the required time perameters. She took the required road test and was issued a G license. I found this website which indicates drivers licenses are up for renewal every 5 years on/before your birthday. The fee is 50 dollars/10 dollars per year.

http://www.licensingoffice.com/DriverLicensing/LicenceRenewals.html

So my daughters new G license expires one year after she passed her G road test and the expiry date is 4 months after her birthday.

icecapp
07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
I know when I did my G1, g2 then my full g, I had to have my g1 for one yr or longer up to the person, as I did not do drivers ed, then had to do a road test go my g2 had to have that another yr or longer up to the person, then did my last road test got my g..

Your licences is good for 5 yrs from the date you got your g1...... then upon renewal it is 5 yrs from your birthday. you actually have 5 yrs to completed the g system and if you do not obtain a full g licences with in that time frame then you start back at g1....

least thats how it was when I got mine some yikes 15 yrs ago. Now I am going through my M1-m2 and obtain a m2 have to wait 22 months for that road test, next spring I can finish that up..

p.s. its also 75 to renew your licences last time I did mine.

Larimar
07-19-2011, 08:51 PM
New drivers have to pay a fee at the end of one year to renew, but it's not a test and you still have 5 years for that.

lynys
07-19-2011, 10:39 PM
They should be tested every five years as far as I am concerned. :)

Barry Morris
07-20-2011, 12:45 AM
They should be tested every five years as far as I am concerned. :)

There's more loopholes in driver's liceneces that you can shake a stick at. I'm licenced to drive anything on the road, but haven't had a driving test since I was 18.

lynys
07-20-2011, 06:04 AM
No offence, but that is wrong. Our government needs to wake up.

Unofficial Cat of Soonet
07-20-2011, 11:16 AM
When you get your g1, you have to renew in five years regardless of when you take your other 2 tests. Nowhere in that time are you paying a renewal. She must have had her G1 and g2 for a combined 4 years if she has one year left. Sometimes when you go in they will say you can only renew for lets say 3 years. The reason for this is to get your license expiry date to match up with your health card expiry date. You get charged $15.00 per year in this case.

hobo
07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I phoned the Service Ontario office this morning and I am now perfectly clear on how things work. It all depends on where she comes up in the system and her first G license could have been issued for anywhere from 1 to 7 years. She will be able to renew her G license for 5 years, next year, when her license will then be issued for expiry on her birthday.

I know I am a bit dull witted at times and I still don't get it - unless it is a random when you come up in the system system.

My daughter received her g1 just over 2 years ago so if it is a 5 year system from the start of g1 to the end of the term then she should be good for another 3 years.

Ahhhh forget it. Now where is that form for my gun registry that expired in 2005 and I received a letter saying don't worry about it - you are good until 2011.