PDA

View Full Version : wildlife rehab

kitca
07-22-2011, 12:07 PM
after reading the comments about the poor fox kit i thought some of you may be interested in reading about this wildlife sanctuary near parry sound. i have never been there myself but have spoken with them on several occasions and what wonderful people they are! here is a link to one of their newsletters on line if anyone wants to read about orphaned or injured wildlife rehab.

http://www.aspenvalleywildlifesanctuary.com/webimages/inthenews/AVWS_Winter_2010_4pp_newsletterLR.pdf

sadly, we dont have one in the soo or area. i have heard there might be one near sudbury but im not sure.

Joy.D
07-25-2011, 03:12 PM
I checked out the website. It is an amazing thing they do for the wildlife. I agree that it is sad that we dont have anything like it in the soo area.

Craig Huckerby
07-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Karen Johns has always had the dream of creating a wildlife rehab here in the Sault . She would be amazing at running a place like that since she more or less does it now with smaller creatures.

kitca
07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
i know. karen is fantastic. mnr can be very strict. to be an official rehab you must take a course or their course. there is no money to be made in it, but if karen could get someone to do the fundraising and she could do the animals to get it started. i guess the first bit of fundraising would be the course fee. im not sure how much it is or how long it takes.

i know karen and others do this needed service, but i am so afraid of mnr coming down on them.

MagicFingers
07-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Actually got me thinking that perhaps Spruce Haven zoo could team up with Karen and they could work together and make SPruce Haven the wild life sanctuary...they already have the space and animals that need a sanctuary not a cage. And I am sure Spruce Haven has the best of intentions but it just isn't working for the animals. But perhaps they could make it work TOGETHER.

TNT
07-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Actually got me thinking that perhaps Spruce Haven zoo could team up with Karen and they could work together and make SPruce Haven the wild life sanctuary...they already have the space and animals that need a sanctuary not a cage. And I am sure Spruce Haven has the best of intentions but it just isn't working for the animals. But perhaps they could make it work TOGETHER.

This would be wonderful, I however believe the "non-profit" bit would have them opting out!! I paid $48 for 20 mins of heartbreak....shame.

MagicFingers
07-26-2011, 08:52 PM
well perhaps they charge as much as they do because it what they NEED to charge. But maybe if it was done correctly they wouldn't need to charge as much and they could still make a living. I don't know its a dream...I think all animals deserve to live in a setting as close as possible to their natural habitat. I feel the gov should have minimum standards and if they already do they need to change them as SPruce Haven I don't think are meeting minimum standards or what should be minimum standards.

TNT
07-27-2011, 03:05 PM
well perhaps they charge as much as they do because it what they NEED to charge. But maybe if it was done correctly they wouldn't need to charge as much and they could still make a living. I don't know its a dream...I think all animals deserve to live in a setting as close as possible to their natural habitat. I feel the gov should have minimum standards and if they already do they need to change them as SPruce Haven I don't think are meeting minimum standards or what should be minimum standards.

I agree, funny thing is.....google them, read all thier advertisments.....LOTS of BS about coming to see thier "smiling" faces! You find me ONE happy critter there.....and I'll build the fences myself. I was also slightly apalled at their "boarding facilties" They are all grown in with weeds and plants, and are about the same size as my closet. They were most definately in use. I pray that place gets a complete overhaul and SOON. I appreciate IF they are doing the best they can. But somtimes its up to us to realize that somtimes "all you can" simply isn't good enough. They need help.

A*lil*Loopy
07-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I always think about doing something like that but I'm too busy with work. I help out where I can and in a few more years will be able to do something a bit more wildlife supportive once I have a bigger barn, etc. MNR is strict for good reason but sometimes they just don't have to know.
Karen is awesome and would be great for heading up something for wildlife rehab.
I haven't been to SH for many years and can't bring myself to go as I've heard how difficult it can be for some to see. (yes, I understand costs are high and funds can be low)

MagicFingers
07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
TNT I agree sometimes all you can is not enough. At some point they need to realize that is no life for the animal. This might sound harsh but I would rather see an animal put down if they are unable to get the PROPER care. Sometimes there is just no other choice and I would rather an animal not live in misery.

kitca
07-29-2011, 07:14 PM
there is an organization called zoocheck http://www.zoocheck.com/about.html

i would be interested in meeting up and seeing about helping the situation.