PDA

View Full Version : Anybody's huskies swim?

HuskyWillow
07-30-2011, 05:03 PM
My dog absolutely loves going to camp with us, and half the time we have to hose her down before we can bring her back cause she gets all dirty and muddy, but she WILL NOT go anywhere near the water. I've tried to bring... I mean drag her into the water but she kicks around and walks back. She knows how to swim just won't do it willingly. Does anyone out there have a husky that actually likes to swim?

Larimar
07-31-2011, 11:04 AM
I'd imagine that the are all sorts of personalities of huskies who would, though I think it understandable that they wouldn't. Most water dogs have acoat built for swimming and I think swimming in a huskies double fur coat would be a bit like us jumping in th elake with our snowsuit :p Just uncomfy.

If your dog instead of discmfort or just the unwillingness to swim (if it's a fear based hate of water) there are behavioural techniques that can be asserted for her. Throwing them in would be one of the most useless, as it places the water and you at a situation to distrust. Try positive reinforcement, something she realy loves-like a treat or a certain toy, and take it one step at a time rewarding each step no matter how small.