PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

Dragonfly
08-02-2011, 08:16 PM
My cat fell out the window a few days ago and got a "gash" for lack of a better word in his side, its not overly large and never bled or anything, it was just a break in the skin. A few minutes ago I noticed that it was now bleeding and deeper than it was before and he wont let me touch it. I am unable to get him into someone until Thursday. What if anything can I do for him until then? He may need stitches, or it could just look worse than it is, I really don't know. I just don't want him to get infected in the time it takes for me to get him in. Can I put polysporin on it or something for him? He doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain, he's playing and such but I am just worried. Suggestions? I am losing my mind over here...

Please no mean comments, we are getting him to the vet in more or less one day. I just want something to help him for now....

everywoman
08-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Minor Scrapes and Cuts

Regardless of how your cat was cut, you should begin treating a minor cut immediately. Begin by rinsing the area thoroughly with clean water. If you have witch hazel on hand use it to clean the wound. If you don't have witch hazel, hydrogen peroxide will clean the area; however, it may sting your cat so be prepared for a reaction. If the site continues bleeding, apply pressure to the spot for five minutes with a clean rag. Once the bleeding has been controlled, trim any fur from the area to avoid infections. If the bleeding still continues, contact your vet for further treatment.

Read more: Home Remedies for Cat Injuries | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_5931947_home-remedies-cat-injuries.html#ixzz1TvCOBNaj

TNT
08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
My cat fell out the window a few days ago and got a "gash" for lack of a better word in his side, its not overly large and never bled or anything, it was just a break in the skin. A few minutes ago I noticed that it was now bleeding and deeper than it was before and he wont let me touch it. I am unable to get him into someone until Thursday. What if anything can I do for him until then? He may need stitches, or it could just look worse than it is, I really don't know. I just don't want him to get infected in the time it takes for me to get him in. Can I put polysporin on it or something for him? He doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain, he's playing and such but I am just worried. Suggestions? I am losing my mind over here...

Please no mean comments, we are getting him to the vet in more or less one day. I just want something to help him for now....

First of all...CALM :) Get somthing called "natures aid" from greenhawk (yes I know its an equine store but we use this stuff on our kids) Its a natural,anti bacterial, anti fungal, gel.....we use it for everything...and MAN DOES IT WORK!
throw some of that on there, and wrap it cats are horrific I know but ya wanna keep that nasty tongue outta there!
Our girl Tink had a SHELF of a wound 3 yrs ago...we still have no idea how (looked like a knife swipe and there was nothing we could find) Could have used a stitch or two(didn't know until after 4 days), but we wrapped and treated it....nothin but an addition of her already grey hair! :) I also had antibiotics tho, I keep a bit on hand at all times for ugly wounds.!
Seriously....if this s**t don't work, call me bluff! As I said we use it for the kids too! Its AWESOME! $12.95 for 6 oz...but a little goes a looooong way!
Best of luck, keep us up-dated! :(

Dragonfly
08-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Where is that store? I have never heard of it..thanks ladies! I am going to wait a bit and then try to wash it off. He's a little but mad at me but he's inching closer lol

magic mushroom
08-02-2011, 09:03 PM
i use peroxide mixed with warm water. usually do half and half. or 3/4 peroxide, 1/4 warm water.

TNT
08-02-2011, 09:04 PM
"greenhawk" on the corner of of Moody and 2nd line....I HIGHLY suggest you use some in the mean timebefore you're able to get to a vet! If theres any infection it will start to battle it immediatly! you know i wouldnt do ya wrong ;)

Dragonfly
08-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks again, I am about to try it out. Let you know in the AM how it worked out for my little buddy.

Dragonfly
08-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Magic, do you usually trim the hair back? Everything I have been reading says to do it....

magic mushroom
08-02-2011, 11:36 PM
yes trim the hair. my one cat plucked the hair out herself around her wound. made it easy for me to pour the peroxide and water on it. i usually did it at least 4 times a day, it healed nicely.

Dragonfly
08-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Hm, ok thanks! I treated it with peroxide water last night, I am not going to try to do anything until this evening when my other half gets home. He is a huge cat and I can't hold him down and apply the mixture without getting mangled or hurting him further, but we will trim the hair tonight when he gets home. It doesnt look quite so bad today though, its not bleeding anymore. Lets hope it stays that way.

Joy.D
08-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Pet Valu sells an all natural antibiotic ointment called Dr. Maggie Ointment. The stuff is amazing! I use it on both animals and humans. it has an anti itch and tastes bad so they don't lick their wound as much.

I wouldn't fuss with the wound much, you will only be stressing your catand they heals slower when they are stressed. Peroxide is good but remember that it kills skin cells and may scar worse. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't show signs of infection like swelling, redness, heat and smell. Ointment once or twice a day is good. Cats are pretty good at taking care of themselves.

Dragonfly
08-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks Joy, maybe I will pick some of that stuff up today.

Mimi
08-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I have used Hibitane liquid soap from the Vet for sores/wounds on my cats. You may be able to buy some at a drug store. It keeps the wounds clean while they are healing. Apparently they make an antibacterial ointment for pets too.

TNT
08-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Hope your kitty's feeling better, I still can't believe it fell out a window, cats are so...well.....agile! LOL

Dragonfly
08-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Well we normally have screens in the window and my kids knocked it off and I dont know why he fell out but he certainly did and are in a two storey house :( he seems alright though

A*lil*Loopy
08-03-2011, 11:59 AM
For wrapping pets, you can pick up VetWrap. You can buy it at Greenhawk also. It does have latex in it so allergies beware. However, it does adhere to itself but you can't wrap too tightly. It's like a disposable tensor bandage and it's usually under $5 for a roll. It comes in handy to keep in your pet medicine cabinet.

Dragonfly
08-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Well it looks pretty good and hes not bugging it at all, so I think we may actually be in the clear. I am just making sure it stays this way now.

magic mushroom
08-03-2011, 05:06 PM
can you pour while he is relaxing, kind of catch him off guard. even if you miss it is better to get some on it then nothing, even without cutting the hair.
yeah it is hard to pour on them they don't like wet. i made sure the water was hot to mix with peroxide (because the peroxide is cool)
cats are amazing at healing themselves, survivial instincts probably.

Dragonfly
08-03-2011, 07:15 PM
I snuck up on him yesterday. The problem is when we got him he was very abused. We have had him since about Christmas and he is still very nervous at times so sneaking up on him is hard to do because he is hyper aware.

magic mushroom
08-03-2011, 07:59 PM
i know that for sure, with them being abused previously. sad .

Dragonfly
08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
He seems to be doing much better. From what I can see the "hole" that was there is pretty much closed up if not all closed up. Its a little red but I think thats just irritation and not infection at this point. I am going to keep an eye and see what happens! I was going to take him today but he seems just fine.

magic mushroom
08-04-2011, 07:50 AM
that is good to hear, just watch if it abcesses.

Dragonfly
08-04-2011, 08:40 AM
I have been monitoring him almost hourly lol. Every time he gets in my general vicinity I take a peek. I have another cat too that play fights with him all the time etc. so I need to watch and make sure he doesn't undo the healing that has happened.

magic mushroom
08-04-2011, 09:13 AM
:thumbs_up::smile:

HDV
08-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Well we normally have screens in the window and my kids knocked it off and I dont know why he fell out but he certainly did and are in a two storey house :( he seems alright though

I got chills when I read the kids knocked the screens off a 2nd story window.. My cousins 2 yr old 2 weeks ago fell out her 2nd story window because she was not watchign him as close and she should of been. Thank god he was not killed, he fell onto a car then hit the ground, The car SAVED his life, He walked away with a couple scrapes to his face..

How is the kitty today? Hope he gets better.

Also, I know cats have dirty mouths, but i also heard that they have healing agents in their saliva. So with them licking it would it not help heal?? I dont know, i just heard this, dont know if there is any truth to it.

I guess cats dont land on their feet all the time..lol. Least mine does not half the time he jumps off stuff..lol

Dragonfly
08-04-2011, 11:14 AM
I got chills when I read the kids knocked the screens off a 2nd story window.. My cousins 2 yr old 2 weeks ago fell out her 2nd story window because she was not watchign him as close and she should of been. Thank god he was not killed, he fell onto a car then hit the ground, The car SAVED his life, He walked away with a couple scrapes to his face..

Also, I know cats have dirty mouths, but i also heard that they have healing agents in their saliva. So with them licking it would it not help heal?? I dont know, i just heard this, dont know if there is any truth to it.

I guess cats dont land on their feet all the time..lol. Least mine does not half the time he jumps off stuff..lol

Ya, I know. As much as I hate to have it happen to my cat, if it HAD to happen I'm glad it wasn't the kids. He did land on his feet, but the tree hit him first lol

HDV
08-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Oufff, thats musta hurt.

magic mushroom
08-04-2011, 11:24 AM
hvd, yes cats have healing agents in their saliva, another survival attribute.

TNT
08-04-2011, 12:28 PM

OMG!!!!! Thats the scariest thing EVER! I would have had a heart attack! Makes me wanna buy a bungalow :(

lk_wicked
08-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Not sure I would use witch hazel on any open wounds. It will burn like a son of a gun. Its the equivalent of pouring rubbing alcohol on something. It is used as an astringent for oily skin among other things.

Glad to hear your cat is doing ok let us know what the vet says.

magic mushroom
08-07-2011, 02:29 AM
Dragonfly, how is your kitty doing?

Dragonfly
08-07-2011, 09:02 AM
He seems to be healing beautifully thank goodness. Thanks for the concern everyone!

kitca
08-07-2011, 12:56 PM
good news