PDA

View Full Version : goulais river by canoe

kitca
08-14-2011, 03:08 PM
has anyone here canoed much in the goulais? how far up? is there a road to get into goulais lake?

Bill Nash
08-15-2011, 08:39 AM
I have canoed the Goulais before. You can drive far up the Whitman Dam road (past the falls) to a point where the river is actually quite narrow (for the Goulais) and a bridge crosses it. I put my canoe in there and paddled for quite a few miles before I had to pull it out. That was in the spring when the water was higher. This time of year there may be quite a few rocks showing, and you will be pushing your canoe as much as paddling it. There are also a few big rapids that will dump you over if you don't stop and portage around them,.... unless you want a thrill ride.

Make sure you go with two vehicles, .... one where you plan to get out, and one to take you to the start, .... otherwise, its a long walk back.

kitca
08-15-2011, 01:38 PM
no, no thrill rides!!! i know of a couple spots at the damn and at the chutes or falls or whatever you see from the side of the road at about mile 18 or so on the whitman road. how far up is it to the bridge that crosses. ive never been farther than those falls i think. thanks!!

millerw
09-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I've have paddled most of the Goulais from mile 18 out to highway 17. For a nice ride put in at Searchmont and paddle out to 552. No rapids, no portages, no big surprises, just a nice cruise with good scenery. From 552 to 17 the river slows a to a crawl and twists around tighter than a snake and very boring. However as mentioned this time of year the water level is usually extremely low.
A nice alternative might be the Missisagi from the bRanger Lake rd down as far as you desire. Good scenery, decent camp sites, but it (as most rivers) runs very low this time of year. Rocky Island Lake is also a good place to explore.