PDA

View Full Version : Judges and prosecuters do something to help our downtown. Vehicle Break Ins Rampant.

northern nomad
08-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Vehicle break ins are rampant throughout our city and its time the judicial system and the city do something to stop this.
The police catch them and then they get let out again and again.

Check this out....... http://sootoday.com/content/police/city/index.asp

Mischief

The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service responded to fifteen reports of vehicles being “keyed” or having windows smashed. The incidents were reported throughout the city.

A residence in the 100 block of Euclid Ave had several window damaged.

The window of the coin laundromat in the Station Mall was damaged.

Theft

The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service received fourteen reports of vehicles damaged and contents stolen.

Items stolen were wallets, cash, cell phones, computers and medication.

Copper wire was stolen from a construction site in the 600 block of North St.

Three bicycles were reported stolen over the weekend.

This fellow is allegedly a repeat offender.... google his name........

http://sootoday.com/content/police/city/index.asp

Yesterday morning members of the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service arrested a 22-year-old male for attempt theft, possession of house breaking tools and breach of probation. It is alleged that the accused was attempting to break into vehicles in the Bay St and Brock St. area. When arrested by police it is further alleged that the accused had a screwdriver concealed in his sock. At the time of these offences the accused was on probation. Troy Bozowskyi, age 22, of 772 Wellington St. E apt # 1 is charged with one count of attempt theft, one count of possession of house breaking tools and one count of breach of probation.

If guilty Its time the judicial system sends a clear message to criminals doing this crime to our citizens and visitors as well damaging our city and the downtown core's reputation.

hobo
08-23-2011, 07:09 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7834207390&v=wall&viewas=0

Perhaps counselling will help.

northern nomad
08-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Perhaps counselling for two years and a day out town will help.

hobo
08-23-2011, 07:33 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of special counseling ....now if Canada's Lady Justice was half as "bad" as she looks there might be some proper justice for the victims.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyin_bayman/2368293839/

SIMBA
08-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Do like they do in the middle eastern countries, cut their damn fingers off.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
08-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Too swift. Finger gets cut off and it's done. Cut them off one by one, one slice at a time...

official soonet pu$$ycat
08-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Too swift. Finger gets cut off and it's done. Cut them off one by one, one slice at a time...

Also Swift

http://www.tiptoptens.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Taylor-Swift.jpg

victorianheart
08-24-2011, 01:29 AM
See the list of items stolen from these vehicles -------------- stop leaving stuff in your vehicle, it won't get broken into if there is nothing left in it !

Onlygodknowswhy
08-24-2011, 01:36 AM
This Troy guy lives very close to me. He is probably the one causing the problems in our area. The day before my wedding my auto window faulted about 1/4 of the way down, woke up the day of the wedding and the stereo was gone. So the amount of time he goes away seems to be a car break in free month...then all of a sudden its back...then it stops. Oh well just sad we have 20somethings acting like they are something special...Look at me I break into cars repeatedly and get sent to jail every 2 weeks but it's not my fault...its societies fault.

autum1
08-24-2011, 06:33 AM
Do you really think it will change? We need laws like the the US. I frequently travel there, Traverse City, and there is practically no petty theft. Why? they do not fool around with the people that do it.

northern nomad
08-24-2011, 06:38 AM
See the list of items stolen from these vehicles -------------- stop leaving stuff in your vehicle, it won't get broken into if there is nothing left in it !

I agree leaving things visible is an issue.
However many break ins are related to getting cash for drugs, even 5 to 10 dollars. They dont want cell phones and gps units are a dime a dozen and not pawnable.

You can look in anyones home or business and see something of value, that doesnt give you the right to break in and take it.

Many people from out of town and business people cannot remove everything from their vehicles when they park especially when downtown in the evening or during the day. A vehicle is often an extension of the home and business.

The issue I have is that the judges here need to use the maximum sentence the law allows to put these criminals away, especially if repeat offenders. A month in jail is nothing. The other option is put a GPS tracking ankle bracelet on mischief and thieving criminals for their entire probation period. That has to be cheaper then police investigating 14 vehicle break ins alone over one weekend. We the taxpayer pay the cost for the police, the damage to vehicles and the loss of material goods and increasing insurance costs.

A repeat offender in this situation should be shown no compassion. They should also be mandatory drug tox testing and if positive then the sentance doubled and rehab considered.

Karen-Annie
08-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Reading all the various charges on the police beat and whose names are attached to them is a lesson in frustration and futility. While the judge has some discretion in sentencing, the laws have gone so far in protecting criminals rights at the expense of victim's and society's rights it is a joke.

Breaches of probation, release orders,etc. should mean no bail, and the maximum penalty for the original offence automatic. Repeated breaches means increased jail time. Judges should be more willing to say "no" to plea deals they think are too lenient. Stop concurrent sentences on multiple charges...make them all consecutive. Repeat offenders also should need to serve their whole sentence, none of this virtually automatic release after 2/3 of the sentence is served.

If the cops can have periodic RIDE checks, I see no reason why they can't have periodic patrols in unmarked cars, especially in the high incidence areas. And people who live in the area need to be more vigilent and to not hesitate to call police if they see someone suspicious. And call Crime Stoppers if you know something.

I can't imagine being a cop and seeing the same people over and over and OVER......only to have them back on the street in a blink. An exercise in frustration.

Anapeg
08-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Do like they do in the middle eastern countries, cut their damn fingers off.

This was already done in our fair city and it was not well received. Mind they removed more than the fingers but the premise was sound.

Peety
09-14-2011, 11:54 AM
NTP. buy the kid a new bike.lol
His mom should have kicked his ass a little harder.

Chester Field
09-14-2011, 12:04 PM
We go too easy on crime because it costs too much to put people in jail. Probation only costs the next victim, whereas incarceration costs all taxpayers.

Plus we get world brownie points for having a lower incarceration rate.

Seriously though, petty crime is ridiculous in this town. bring it up with the police and they will more likely than not tell you to lobby your city councillor to give them more money for more cops.

Anapeg
09-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Pssttt! PSSTTT! Wanna buy a slightly used paint ball gun,........cheap? To be used for pest control only and never ever point it at an unsuspecting human in the dead of night strolling through your back yard. Seriousness aside though we initiated our own neighbourhood watch and our crime rate dropped completely. Police sometimes need a hand as well. They cannot be everywhere at once.

Chester Field
09-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Freezing the paintballs will also help leave identifying marks too :)

autum1
09-14-2011, 03:43 PM
ouch!

dancingqueen
09-16-2011, 12:39 AM

Just like how we seem to look at rape... let's blame the victims!

Soonet-china
09-16-2011, 04:55 AM
Dq is comparing rape to theft again, oh god !

dancingqueen
09-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Dq is comparing rape to theft again, oh god !

again?
And it's not the actions I'm comparing, it's the attitude...