PDA

View Full Version : Cats in the wild??

Anapeg
08-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Yesterday myself and some family members where skidding logs back to camp for fire wood and saw a large black cat. It ran at one hell of a rate and was agile to boot. It looked and gave the impression it was young, I want to say kitten but............
It was about two and a half feet long in body, I did not take notice of the tail but it was about the same length. It's weight I would estimate around 25-30 pounds. It was black. Not a single discernible marking.

Now, as I have said I would be adamant in stating it was a kitten say 3 to 4 months old. My granddaughter had said earlier in the day she saw a big black cat on an adjoining trail and it sat watching us. She says it looks just like our cats except it was shiny black and much bigger. Like a dog, her words not mine. She is eleven and not given to flights of fancy.

Any ideas what I am sharing my little piece of Heaven with?

Anapeg
08-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Forgot to add, no one else in area for twenty mile radius, deep secluded bush area, lots of game of varying sizes. No prints to date. No vocalizations that I know of to date. Well known area for bear but this was not of that family. We are supposedly the third to sight this "thing" in the Montreal River Highlands.

hobo
08-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Could be an alien's pet scouting out for dumb people to abduct. Don't be following it into the woods saying here kitty kitty.

It could be a cross fox. I lived in the north and over time saw a few almost pure black foxes.

victorianheart
08-28-2011, 11:03 AM
There are cougars in this area.

victorianheart
08-28-2011, 11:07 AM
http://www.thestar.com/article/510710

Bill Nash
08-28-2011, 11:12 AM
We too, are in a remote rural area, only one neighbour for over a mile and they don't have a cat. We had a ferrel cat in our yard that my wife eventually coaxed into coming to our door for food. It got to the point where it entered our house to eat, but still very skittish. It was impossible to house train, and tore the window screens to shreds some days, so we kept it outside as much as possible. It would actually come to the door every morning looking for food,.... then one day, it didn't show up, .... guess some critter got it.

hobo
08-28-2011, 11:18 AM
another possibility is a fisher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-rDumZ77lE

bluekrissyspikes
08-28-2011, 11:24 AM
apparently we have cougars around here and it's not that uncommon for some of them to be all black. i googled around and foung alot of sightings of wild black cougars in ontario. most are down south farther but i don't think it's that much of a stretch that they could come up this way.

i have also seen a large black wild cat about 15 years ago north of here.

Anapeg
08-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I googled until my eyes crossed and still have no conclusion. The general consensus to this point among family and friends, Cougar (Mountain Lion, Panther, Puma, Catamount) all one and the same. As for Cougars I had no idea they had an all black model.

hobo
08-28-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't intend to be argumentative but the "black cougar" is a misnomer so far. Most of the sightings in N/S America have probably been panthers, margays, ocelots, bobcats or jaguarundis and no black cougar has been verified by the scientific community.

Anapeg
08-28-2011, 11:46 AM
This is all I've found but I am by no means "in the know". Like I said earlier, I had no idea there was a black model.

A black panther is typically a melanistic color variant of any of several species of larger cat. Wild black panthers in Latin America are black jaguars (Panthera onca), in Asia and Africa they are black leopards (Panthera pardus), and in North America they may be black jaguars or possibly black cougars (Puma concolor – although this has not been proven to have a black variant), or smaller cats.[1][2]
Black panthers are also reported as cryptids in areas such as the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia, and if these do exist, their species is not known. Captive black panthers may be black jaguars, or more commonly black leopards. Black panthers have sometimes been regarded as forming different species from their normally-colored relatives.[citation needed]
The name "panther" is often limited to the black variants of the species, but also commonly refers to those that are normally-colored (tawny or spotted), or to white color variants: white panthers.

Anapeg
08-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Now THIS is real close to what blurred across the road ahead of us yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdxye0_W200&feature=related

Size, colour, moment, shape everything. I think I would be comfortable saying this is what I saw. My grand daughter is adamant she saw one bigger than our dog.

RWGR
08-28-2011, 12:03 PM

Yes, there are. Ran into one last night.

She sure likes martinis.

Larimar
08-28-2011, 01:28 PM
There are cougars but not very common. If you can get a photograph of the paw print I can probably help you out.

Anapeg
08-28-2011, 01:44 PM
There are cougars but not very common. If you can get a photograph of the paw print I can probably help you out.

PM to you? I think? Let me know, please?

Larimar
08-28-2011, 01:57 PM
thanks. wrote back.

Bill Nash
08-28-2011, 03:01 PM

Regardless what Bwana's credentials are, you are not going to discern a cougar from several other large local cats from a photo of a paw print. You are best to contact one of the local trappers to get your best lead.

Larimar
08-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Regardless what Bwana's credentials are, you are not going to discern a cougar from several other large local cats from a photo of a paw print. You are best to contact one of the local trappers to get your best lead.
If I want to offer help or contacts that's my choice. If Anapeg can benefit from that that is their choice.

Bill Nash
08-28-2011, 05:22 PM
If I want to offer help or contacts that's my choice. If Anapeg can benefit from that that is their choice.

You are soooo easy, .... lol, ... just foolin' with you, .... take life a little easier, .... Have a good day. ;)

yoda
08-28-2011, 06:00 PM
I saw a black cougar last July at Heyden, crossing the highway with another tan coloured cougar. They were both adults. I started a thread at that time and someone said that they had talked to a few loggers from the area and that in fact the cats had been spotted around the Goulais area. I saw a cougar with two little one's about 10 yr's ago at the bottom of the Mile Hill.

bluekrissyspikes
08-28-2011, 06:43 PM
hmmm... so three of us have seen this large black cat species that apparently doesn't exist. interesting. anipeg, maybe look at some cougar pictures and think of what they would look like if they are black. they have the same body type and facial features as the large cat in the link you put up for the most part and are known to be in the area where jaguares are not.

Anapeg
08-28-2011, 07:08 PM
hmmm... so three of us have seen this large black cat species that apparently doesn't exist. interesting. anipeg, maybe look at some cougar pictures and think of what they would look like if they are black. they have the same body type and facial features as the large cat in the link you put up for the most part and are known to be in the area where jaguares are not.

I did and was surprised to find it is indeed likely a cougar. If they are about they sure are reclusive critters for so few sightings.

Larimar
08-28-2011, 07:10 PM

They exist. Not many around the sault so if there is a mated pair it would be a big deal. Black ones are thought to be from pets escaped but they exist.

hobo
08-28-2011, 07:46 PM
http://www.strangeark.com/blog/labels/black%20panther.html black "cougar "sightings

http://www.jaguarnetwork.org/pdf/205.pdf the last page shows puma, jaguar, dog track comparison.

http://www.ontariopuma.ca/ Ontario puma foundation

bluekrissyspikes
08-28-2011, 09:08 PM
They exist. Not many around the sault so if there is a mated pair it would be a big deal. Black ones are thought to be from pets escaped but they exist.

they may be from escaped pets that have bred with local populations. their territories are pretty huge, and they travel. they also try to avoid contact with people so they probably don't come anywhere near town. i think there are alot more sightings that go unreported so they don't go 'on the record'. i never reported the one i saw. got a good look at it though, and then it was gone.

MaO3
08-28-2011, 09:48 PM
They are see in the Heyden area on a fairly regular basis. We've not seen one personally but our next door neighbour saw one in a tree in our yard a few years back... We heard it but didn't see it, we also had a friend whos niece saw one not too far away. Neither was black mind you.

mboy67
08-28-2011, 11:49 PM
I have spotted 4 large wild Black cats in the last 20 years.

Larimar
08-29-2011, 07:07 AM
A lot of times people will get confused over other wild cats and mix them up with cougars too. But seeing a black and beige/tan one would be a good sign of them I think. Only of course, they wouldn't be together for long-just during mating season.

Anapeg
08-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Only of course, they wouldn't be together for long-just during mating season.

Now here is a bit of information human males could benefit by.

Larimar
08-29-2011, 12:31 PM
LOL

Correct :P

bluekrissyspikes
08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
beleive it or not it would make the females life easier too. (: one less 'kid' getting in the way

RWGR
08-29-2011, 12:52 PM
http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Story/?id=181634&cID=1

A*lil*Loopy
08-31-2011, 07:36 PM
I remember speaking to a gentleman who used to work on the train. He said that they were used to seeing a pair of cougars up north on their route. One was black and the other was so light it could be seen as white in the right lighting.
He did tell me that he would never disclose where they were seen because they were such a rare thing that he didn't want anyone bothering them. It is of course possible that there would be large black cats in the area, the trouble would be convincing any sort of government run agency that they exist.

After a cougar in Desbarats area being seen almost weekly, a relative called the MNR and reported it. They told her it was impossible as they didn't exist in our area. When she said fine, she was going to have to shoot it, they told her she wasn't allowed to since it was a protected species. (But still denied the existence) That was about 10 years ago, she was worried about it getting one of her horses. I'm glad they recognize now that they are indeed in our neck of the woods.
Good luck getting a picture if you can, we'd love to see it.

Larimar
08-31-2011, 11:46 PM
There was an article published in most major Ontario newspapers within the last year about the
MNR collecting data over the last 7(I think) preceding years in which they gathered about 40 proof positive signs of cougars in Ontario. So various people have known about the existence of cougars for a while, it's been a matter of compiling data to actually draw conclusion. Most articles you find talk about three possibilities. Evidence of cougars comes from 1. released/escaped animals. 2. There is an actual breeding population of cougars in Ontario made up of escaped/released animals and possibly some animals moving in from the west. 3. there are still remnants of the original eastern cougar population (that was thought extirpated) remaining in Ontario. There are also some genetic issues that have been debated.

The answers to these questions could have an effect on the protected status of cougars, so a great deal of information is needed before any conclusions are drawn on the origin of the Ontario cougars, which means nobody is really interested in saying too much until they are certain.

Sightings and even photographs are generally not considered evidence (beyond circumstantial) of cougars as generally most people having sightings are not experts. And photographs can be doctored. Often tracks or hair found at possible cougar sightings belong to bobcats or even coyotes and wolves. Generally only tracks, scat, hair and DNA are considered proof positive evidence of cougars, and only DNA can give any sign of origin.

So gathering data is slow going and that's why you get responses such as the above "they're not here but don't hurt them if they are".

But any sightings should be reported as it gives researches a good idea of where to be looking for evidence. :)

Soonet-china
09-01-2011, 03:42 AM

Are they hot ?

J B
09-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Are they hot?

You really should smash your computer and find a new hobby!!

dancingqueen
09-01-2011, 07:28 AM
Now THIS is real close to what blurred across the road ahead of us yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdxye0_W200&feature=related

Size, colour, moment, shape everything. I think I would be comfortable saying this is what I saw. My grand daughter is adamant she saw one bigger than our dog.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGSQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Sooooooo cute!

Anapeg
09-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Wicked handsome animal, right?

dancingqueen
09-01-2011, 07:45 AM
er... *ahem*
Yes, a fine specimen indeed.

Anapeg
09-01-2011, 07:50 AM
er... *ahem*
Yes, a fine specimen indeed.