PDA

View Full Version : saw this on the news today

italiandomino
09-01-2011, 08:28 PM
I was sitting down watching the news today and saw a group of Natives that are walking across canada, I didnt really hear much about this before tonight, apparently they are walking to get justice for around 4200 women that have gone missing or murdered.

I do think this is a very noble thing, dont get me wrong, but what I have seen is when Natives do something like this, they are only focusing on other native women. I dont get this. I was looking at a friends FB the other day and I think it was in Toronto there was a protest called Sl*twalk, and they were pretty well represting all women, all ethnic groups, pretty well anyone that has booobies, possibly even me lol.

I find it very odd though that natives seem to only speak for themselves, and will only speak out when it is about them, not about everyone else, i am very sure that there are more then 4200 women that have gone missing, murdered, assaulted etc.

just thought I would put this up for some good discussion. Soonet has been pretty boring lately.

official soonet pu$$ycat
09-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Very weak attempt at stirring things up.

official soonet pu$$ycat
09-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Lets talk about bestiality among the elderly.

Larimar
09-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I don't know much about it, but I remember hearing in a Criminology class that Natives have been jailed for a looong time for a behaviour/crime that a person of white ethnicity would walk away with a slap on the wrist. So I wonder if that also applies to how much focus they put on the Native victim when trying to solve a crime. Maybe it just got "lost".
Most supressed groups focus on themselves and I think they have a right to in order to gain attention for their cause.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

official soonet pu$$ycat
09-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Alright who can come up with the most vile topic without getting banned

official soonet pu$$ycat
09-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I don't know much about it, but I remember hearing in a Criminology class that Natives have been jailed for a looong time for a behaviour/crime that a person of white ethnicity would walk away with a slap on the wrist. So I wonder if that also applies to how much focus they put on the Native victim when trying to solve a crime. Maybe it just got "lost".
Most supressed groups focus on themselves and I think they have a right to in order to gain attention for their cause.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

She's right.

Dragonfly
09-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Honestly, I have looked into this before but I have to say I think what they are doing is great. These women went missing and no one tried to help from what I understand. One of my college teachers is involved in this (no she is not native) and I dont remember much of the details but it is quite tragic. I just needed to point out that many people who are not native are also being active on this topic ( I know that is not what you are talking about) and I dont think the natives should stop speaking out when no one wants to help them. How else are they to get justice without being loud? (again I know you are talking on a broader spectrum)

TNT
09-02-2011, 02:26 PM
DEF off topic...but I was at walmart last week and somone got run over in the parking lot!!! Holy school shopping frenzy!!

Peety
09-02-2011, 02:33 PM
DEF off topic...but I was at walmart last week and somone got run over in the parking lot!!! Holy school shopping frenzy!!

That is why I shop early.

hobo
09-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Code white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUeu8Yp0MXg

hobo
09-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Code adam = lost child
code white = accident
code black = weather condition
code red = fire
code blue = bomb
code green = hostage

Karen-Annie
09-02-2011, 02:59 PM
It is a sad fact that the disappearance of a native woman has not been treated with the same response from police, etc. as it would for a "white" woman. When my daughter took native issues in her law and justice degree program, this issue was one that was addressed. It isn't a pretty picture.

italiandomino
09-02-2011, 06:19 PM
But why exclude the "white women", does that make it seem better for them ? "hey they dont care about native women so why should we care about white women". Sounds kinda silly to me. Either speak for all, or dont speak at all. That is kinda how I see it.

Not sure how this was a weak attempt at stirring up stuff, this was meant to have a good conversation about. Kinda see now why soonet went down the pooper, everyone wants to be a treehugging bleeding heart and afraid to speak what is on their minds. I bet if more ppl discussed what is really on their minds Soonet might pick up some.

Karen-Annie
09-02-2011, 06:29 PM
I think you might be confusing 2 somewhat separate issues. The essential issue they are trying to address is not violence against women per se but the lack of response and effort by law enforcement when a native woman goes missing compared to when a white women goes missing.

Dragonfly
09-02-2011, 08:04 PM
ya, they are not downgrading the deaths of white women they are just shining light on the fact that the deaths of these native women have gone relatively un-investigated and it hits close to home. The women in town who shine light on this issue are called Womyn 4 Social Justice and they are definitely not all native and look at all races and the violent acts against them ( I do realize they are not the same people you speak of). It is more the point that there needs to be some changes in regards to this particular matter.

italiandomino
09-03-2011, 12:41 AM
ya, they are not downgrading the deaths of white women they are just shining light on the fact that the deaths of these native women have gone relatively un-investigated and it hits close to home. The women in town who shine light on this issue are called Womyn 4 Social Justice and they are definitely not all native and look at all races and the violent acts against them ( I do realize they are not the same people you speak of). It is more the point that there needs to be some changes in regards to this particular matter.

all the pictures they wanted to share were all native women, if they want to speak up for all women, then do that, dont pick and choose which ones they want to fight for and which ones they dont just by what colour their skin is.

I guess that is why they spelt it womyn, to seperate the ones that can spell to the ones that cant.

yoda
09-03-2011, 12:55 AM
would you speak up on behalf of a native women that was missing? or would you think to yourself that ...Oh, she probably placed herself in a situation that she shouldn't have, oh well.

Oscar_Leroy
09-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Honestly, I think these Natives are doing a great thing. They are finding a peaceful way to send a message and raise awareness. A lot of people just don't care or are not interested to hear about the problems faced specifically by the aboriginal community, which makes it even more important to stand up for this specific group of women. Just my opinion.

NewCasa
09-03-2011, 02:34 AM
Honestly, I think these Natives are doing a great thing. They are finding a peaceful way to send a message and raise awareness. A lot of people just don't care or are not interested to hear about the problems faced specifically by the aboriginal community, which makes it even more important to stand up for this specific group of women. Just my opinion.

The problems on reserves are very difficult. Throwing money at them just isn't the answer. But it's very hard to know what really is the answer or what would help.

yoda
09-03-2011, 09:20 AM
I don't think that what they are doing is wrong, someone has to speak up

Dragonfly
09-03-2011, 09:56 AM
all the pictures they wanted to share were all native women, if they want to speak up for all women, then do that, dont pick and choose which ones they want to fight for and which ones they dont just by what colour their skin is.

I guess that is why they spelt it womyn, to seperate the ones that can spell to the ones that cant.

They are speaking about a social issue within a social issue. The point is that the women they speak of are being ignored and the have a common trait - being native. To put into perspective when someone does a run for breast cancer does it mean they are partial to the breast and dont give a rats arse about any other kind of cancer? Seriously climb out of your box and look at it from a different angle.

Also, maybe before you slam someone else's intelligence you should look into what you are talking about. The spelling of "womyn" was very intentional. This group is comprised of "feminists" and/or women that have been abused by men or treated wrong on a social level because of being a woman, or would like to stand up on behalf of wronged women (such as the murdered native women)among other things. Spelling it this way takes the "men" out of the spelling and gives them an identity outside of men by replacing it with "myn" so that it sounds the same. ( I am not agreeing with or disagreeing with them nor do I have an opinion so leave it be)

italiandomino
09-03-2011, 11:30 AM
would you speak up on behalf of a native women that was missing? or would you think to yourself that ...Oh, she probably placed herself in a situation that she shouldn't have, oh well.

If I speak for something, I will speak for all.

Karen-Annie
09-03-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm trying to figure out why you insist on ignoring the difference between advocating about violence against/disappearance of women and advocating against the lack of response by officialdom to violence against/disappearance of native women.

Dragonfly
09-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm trying to figure out why you insist on ignoring the difference between advocating about violence against/disappearance of women and advocating against the lack of response by officialdom to violence against/disappearance of native women.

Because he wants a reason to gripe about natives regardless of how unfounded his issues are.

italiandomino
09-03-2011, 01:47 PM
you watch CSI alot eh ?

gouligann
09-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I wasn't aware about the native women missing and not much being done to investigate. That is disgusting.

Reminds me of when all those hookers went missing on the west coast and how many died before they finally discovered the truth about the pig farmer. It's as if hookers or natives aren't as important as any other Canadian woman.

BFLPE
09-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I was sitting down watching the news today and saw a group of Natives that are walking across canada, I didnt really hear much about this before tonight, apparently they are walking to get justice for around 4200 women that have gone missing or murdered.

I find it very odd though that natives seem to only speak for themselves, and will only speak out when it is about them, not about everyone else, i am very sure that there are more then 4200 women that have gone missing, murdered, assaulted etc.

Maybe I'm reading challenged but it seems they are speaking for all missing and murdered women, though they are emphasizing that a disproportionate amount of the total 4200 are native.

The walkers are promoting a National Missing and Murdered Women’s Symposium for October 2011 and are calling for public inquiry to look into cases of missing and murdered women across Canada during their walk to Parliament Hill. They said their walks would continue until justice is served.

Williams said about 75 per cent of the 4,200 women missing or murdered nationally are Aboriginal women.
http://www.wawataynews.ca/archive/all/2011/8/18/walk4justice-continues-seek-change_21766

Bill Nash
09-04-2011, 12:36 PM

This is the spelling and grammar monitor jumping in, .... when I make a spelling or grammatical error and it is pointed out to me (yes, I do make those errors occasionally), I usually try to correct them, .... even if I have to delete the thread to correct an error in the title (which you can't edit). In this case, it is very ironic that you would misspell a word like "spelled" and make it into a non-existing word like "spelt" to criticize someone's spelling.

I know, we've been through this before with you, .... you type fast, don't give a $hit, what difference does correct spelling make, etc, .... blah, blah, blah. As pointed out before, ....if you want your posts to have some credibility, make an effort, .... otherwise, why should we give you posts any value, .....that's all.

Scoff
09-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Unfortunately when you're a minority crying for equality you are not really looking to be equal with others. You want to be in higher standing in order to look down on everyone else who had been looking down on you.

True story.

Scoff
09-06-2011, 01:29 PM
This is the spelling and grammar monitor jumping in, .... when I make a spelling or grammatical error and it is pointed out to me (yes, I do make those errors occasionally), I usually try to correct them, .... even if I have to delete the thread to correct an error in the title (which you can't edit). In this case, it is very ironic that you would misspell a word like "spelled" and make it into a non-existing word like "spelt" to criticize someone's spelling.

I know, we've been through this before with you, .... you type fast, don't give a $hit, what difference does correct spelling make, etc, .... blah, blah, blah. As pointed out before, ....if you want your posts to have some credibility, make an effort, .... otherwise, why should we give you posts any value, .....that's all.

Watch it Handyman ... "Spelt" is actually accepted in UK. You'll see it in numerous media outlets from London etc.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/spelt

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt

Some Daily Mail Articles:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356632/Man-killed-friend-row-mis-spelt-text-message.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-413454/Dunces-Eamonns-spelt-wrong-spelling-DVD.html

I however don't use it, but it is still acceptable.

Koss
09-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I was sitting down reading the news last month and saw a group of Italian Canadians that were holding a festival, I didnt really hear much about this before, apparently they want to celebrate their culture and have as many people come out to enjoy their Italian Heritage..

I do think this is a very noble thing, dont get me wrong, but what I have seen is when Italian Canadians do something like this, they are only focusing on their own culture. I dont get this. I was looking at a friends FB the other day and it seems to me that there are many different cultures that people come from and they should also be highlighted to show others their traditions, food and celebrations.

I find it very odd though that Italian Canadians seem to only speak for themselves, and will only celebrate their culture when it is about them, not about everyone else, i am very sure that there are more then one culture/heritage in Sault Ste. Marie.

just thought I would put this up for some good discussion. Soonet has been pretty boring lately.

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3228398

Karen-Annie
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
LOL! Good one, Koss!

Dragonfly
09-06-2011, 03:04 PM
LOL! Good one, Koss!

hahaha I agree

italiandomino
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
I was sitting down reading the news last month and saw a group of Italian Canadians that were holding a festival, I didnt really hear much about this before, apparently they want to celebrate their culture and have as many people come out to enjoy their Italian Heritage..

I do think this is a very noble thing, dont get me wrong, but what I have seen is when Italian Canadians do something like this, they are only focusing on their own culture. I dont get this. I was looking at a friends FB the other day and it seems to me that there are many different cultures that people come from and they should also be highlighted to show others their traditions, food and celebrations.

I find it very odd though that Italian Canadians seem to only speak for themselves, and will only celebrate their culture when it is about them, not about everyone else, i am very sure that there are more then one culture/heritage in Sault Ste. Marie.

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3228398

like natives have their pow wows ??

Celebrating ones culture is a little different then crying "poor me, noone cares about us Natives" ??

Italians are proud, while natives are looking for pitty. pretty well sums it up. dont ya think.

italiandomino
09-06-2011, 04:38 PM

they day i want your acceptance, will be the day I will hang myself.
but being a proud italian, I have alot to look forward to :)

Koss
09-06-2011, 05:05 PM
like natives have their pow wows ??

Celebrating ones culture is a little different then crying "poor me, noone cares about us Natives" ??

Italians are proud, while natives are looking for pitty. pretty well sums it up. dont ya think.

No - you look pathetic and quite bigoted.

italiandomino
09-06-2011, 05:25 PM
No - you look pathetic and quite bigoted.

yes, proud italians usually are called that lol .. sorry you dont have anything to be proud about :)

Koss
09-06-2011, 05:29 PM
:) :)