PDA

View Full Version : Street name change

Karen-Annie
09-05-2011, 04:09 PM
It's not that I haven't noticed this before......but it didn't bother overly much so never asked the question. However, on this boring Monday, it has become stuck in my brain and the only way the thought is going to get booted from my noggin is to ask the question and hopefully get an answer.

When did Black Dirt Road become Black Road? It was always Black Dirt Road for as long as I can remember and I'm not even sure when the switch was made.

Anybody got the answer??

Anapeg
09-05-2011, 04:15 PM
When they paved and began heavy use of the street would be my guess.

steve
09-05-2011, 05:26 PM
grew up in that area some 50 yrs its always been black road ,as long as i remember.....dirt was a nickname i imagine before it was paved.

IMHO
09-05-2011, 05:34 PM
It was black DIRT road for years.

Tutones
09-05-2011, 06:32 PM
http://www.saultstar.com/Calendar/Info.aspx?c=46860&calsel=8%2F28%2F2010

According to this and many other references on the web it is STILL Black Dirt Road, except for on the street sign.

H.E. Pennypacker
09-05-2011, 08:10 PM
It has not been black dirt road for at least 20 years

nightingale
09-05-2011, 09:16 PM
It is my understanding that Black Dirt Road changed it's name to Black Road after it was paved.....that's what I was told at some point.....

bohd
09-06-2011, 05:04 AM
well it should be BLACK PAVED ROAD then lol
It is my understanding that Black Dirt Road changed it's name to Black Road after it was paved.....that's what I was told at some point.....

Karen-Annie
09-06-2011, 12:37 PM
After I started this thread, I googled Black Dirt Road......and that just confused things more. Results for both Black Dirt Road and Black Road popped up. Tried googling "old maps" this morning but by page 4 of the results all I could find was listing for maps at the library and museum but no actual maps. Of everything I found that convinced me that Black Dirt Road WAS the name was a document from the Board of Education concerning the particulars for Ben R. McMullin school. The document is from 2003 but the contents are from the 1950's when the school was built. In describing the location, Black Dirt Road is the term used.....and since this was an "official" document, I would think that the correct street name would be used.

But I think I'm going to have to pay a visit to the library and look up some maps!

IMHO
09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I have lived here for many years and grew up with that road always known as BLACK DIRT ROAD. Maybe the city couldn't fit all the letters on their wonderful blue street signs.

09-06-2011, 07:14 PM
The official city portal calls is "Black Rd.". Just because something is known as a certain name, doesn't mean that's what it is. I know a lot of people that still call KFC, JJ's.

IMHO
09-06-2011, 08:04 PM
The hill on Second Line, when I was young... was always known as NEFFS HILL. Ask any young person that lives out that way...they never heard of the name.

Great Northern at Northern Ave...where the METRO store is...that corner was known back then as HUCKSONS CORNER.

Names really do change over time.

Anapeg
09-06-2011, 08:18 PM
The official city portal calls is "Black Rd.". Just because something is known as a certain name, doesn't mean that's what it is. I know a lot of people that still call KFC, JJ's.

I don't believe this to be the case here. The name denoted what was in point of fact a "black dirt road" in the early days. They used the smelly, oily liqueur from the paper mill to keep the dust down and the dirt was in fact black from the application. Driving north south on Black Dirt each intersection ie; third line, Second Line etc. was higher than BDR and if hit fast enough with a 62 Dodge Polara you could get "air". Impressed the hell out of the ladies and George at Inter City Spring.

Barry Morris
09-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I have lived here for many years and grew up with that road always known as BLACK DIRT ROAD. Maybe the city couldn't fit all the letters on their wonderful blue street signs.

Considering all the signs, they probably saved a thousand bucks!!!

09-07-2011, 12:14 AM
I don't believe this to be the case here. The name denoted what was in point of fact a "black dirt road" in the early days. They used the smelly, oily liqueur from the paper mill to keep the dust down and the dirt was in fact black from the application. Driving north south on Black Dirt each intersection ie; third line, Second Line etc. was higher than BDR and if hit fast enough with a 62 Dodge Polara you could get "air". Impressed the hell out of the ladies and George at Inter City Spring.

My post was a response to someone saying it was still Black Dirt Rd.... I knew it was back in the day, but not now :)

Anapeg
09-07-2011, 07:27 AM
My post was a response to someone saying it was still Black Dirt Rd.... I knew it was back in the day, but not now :)

Was there not some blurb in the news as to the city dropping "dirt" from the name? Very recently I mean, like in the last couple months.

gouligann
09-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Black Dirt Road to those of us who grew up knowing it as that, and it will always remain that.

Black Road to whoever wants to call it what the road sign says.

Ok, can any older people out there ever remember street signs calling it Black DIRT Rd?

Anapeg
09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Black Dirt Road to those of us who grew up knowing it as that, and it will always remain that.

Black Road to whoever wants to call it what the road sign says.

Ok, can any older people out there ever remember street signs calling it Black DIRT Rd?

Did the signage at McNabb not make that distinction in the sixties and seventies? I don't recall any signs beyond that, not even at the "highway".

autum1
09-07-2011, 06:36 PM
The hill on Second Line, when I was young... was always known as NEFFS HILL. Ask any young person that lives out that way...they never heard of the name.

Great Northern at Northern Ave...where the METRO store is...that corner was known back then as HUCKSONS CORNER.

Names really do change over time.

Where is Thayer's Acres?, Fin Hill, Korah, Steelton, Bayview, Tarentorus, 1st Line, Ferry St., Kirby's Corner?

Anapeg
09-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Where is Thayer's Acres?, Fin Hill, Korah, Steelton, Bayview, Tarentorus, 1st Line, Ferry St., Kirby's Corner?

Thayers is where the scouts camp just past the Rod and Gun Club.
Finn Hill is where the kids toboggan in the winter.
Korah is our west end Goulais west.
Bay-view is by the old # 4 gate.
Ferry Street is lower Brock where the ferry docked prior to the bridge.
Kirby's Corner is out the old North Highway.

Bill Nash
09-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Where is Carlton Street? Few will know without cheating, .....

b&aMom
09-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Kirby's Corner is in Goulais, 552 E., where the bridge crosses the river at Bellevue Valley Rd. Finn Hill is at McNabb and Black Dirt Rd.

ssmarie
09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Where is Carlton Street? Few will know without cheating, .....

I believe it is near the underpass by Sherbourne - around where the car place is I think