PDA

View Full Version : dog bites child

98sierra
09-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Anyone hear about the child that was bit today at the Humane Society.
My wife was just leaving and she said, it looked like a pit bull or bulldog bit a child around 2 years of age.
The mom was pulling one way and the dog had the child by the ankle and was pulling.
I hope everything is OK.

Peety
09-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow, poor child,

Larimar
09-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Strange. I was just there before it closed and saw a mother with a child in the cat section. they were just fine.
I pet the American Bulldog and he was a happy young thing. Wagging his whole entire body in joy and sloberring all over my hands. He was beautiful and sooo freindly. There were no other bull dogs there. For those who are unfamiliar with this breed...imagine a taller version of the English Bulldog.

I'm not claiming nothing happened, but that dog was really friendly. Maybe it was playing..in either case.. I wouldn't suggest any parent let their toddler willy nilly stick their hands or feet in a stray dogs cage. I did pet him (as an adult lol) and he was busy givin me his back to rub while his whole body wagged lol. I really wished I could take him home!

Seeing as how playful he was and happy, I wouldn't be surprised if a parent wasn't watching their child that the dog might think a sleeve or shoe entering a cage was a good tug o war material. I doubt it was vicious intent though.

bluekrissyspikes
09-07-2011, 11:48 PM
ah... they have one of those bull dogs there. i want it. what colour is it? i wish i wasnt sooo far away.

Larimar
09-07-2011, 11:54 PM
It was mostly white with some brown. I tried to find a photo but it doesn't do him justice. His cheeks were MUCH bigger and slobbery than what I can google lol.

HDV
09-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Was the dogs name Ducky?
If you scroll down near the end there are 2 pics of a bull dog.

http://hosting.soonet.ca/humanesociety/DogsAdopted11/DogsAdJulAugSep11/DogsGalleryAug11.htm

Looks like a beautiful dog. But even if a dog seems nice and friendly, they can turn. You never know with a strange dog.
My parents adopted a golden retriever from the HS when we were kids. He was friendly so we thought. After about 2 weeks of having him, we soon learned he was a vicious dog. He would attack any male with blond hair, or tall that came into the house. Final straw was when he attacked my sister who was 3 at the time, bit her in the face and she needed stitches. After that he was brought back to the HS and i believe they put him down. I think he was abused by a blonde male. The H.S found him outside goulais river.
So im just sayin, that becuase he was allowing you to pet him and seemed all happy and friendly, sometimes thats just nt the case :( sad. Hope the child is ok.

TNT
09-08-2011, 11:50 AM
OF COURSE IT WAS A PITBULL! lol How did the dog get the childs ankle?? It's on the other side of a galvanized steal mesh gate?? I dunno what mom was occupied with while her 2 yr old wiggled his shoe through a small hole, but.........Don't bring small children to the HS if you can't 100% focus on keeping that babies fingers (or shoes lol) out of the cages. Animals under stress are unpredictable, good thing it was an ankle. had it been a finger, may have been a hell of alot worse.

TNT
09-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Was the dogs name Ducky?
If you scroll down near the end there are 2 pics of a bull dog.

http://hosting.soonet.ca/humanesociety/DogsAdopted11/DogsAdJulAugSep11/DogsGalleryAug11.htm

Looks like a beautiful dog. But even if a dog seems nice and friendly, they can turn. You never know with a strange dog.
My parents adopted a golden retriever from the HS when we were kids. He was friendly so we thought. After about 2 weeks of having him, we soon learned he was a vicious dog. He would attack any male with blond hair, or tall that came into the house. Final straw was when he attacked my sister who was 3 at the time, bit her in the face and she needed stitches. After that he was brought back to the HS and i believe they put him down. I think he was abused by a blonde male. The H.S found him outside goulais river.
So im just sayin, that becuase he was allowing you to pet him and seemed all happy and friendly, sometimes thats just nt the case :( sad. Hope the child is ok.

WOW HDV check out the eyes on the dog on the VERY bottom, "peeky" all black with eyes so blue they look fake! How cool!

HDV
09-08-2011, 12:03 PM
I know, beautiful dog. :) My sister in law was going down there last night to adopt chopper

Larimar
09-08-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure that's an updated page because it says August.

http://hosting.soonet.ca/humanesociety/dogs.htm updated but not the dog in question there.

He was friendly and showed no sign of agression. He was excitable though and I know dogs and even cats who bite and tug when playing. He may not have liked children, who knows. It would be ashame if a good dog is put to sleep bc someone was negligent. That dog is suitable for someone and some lifestyle and it would suck if someone just watched as their kids pet the dogs (or kicked at them) when the sign says not to...

Peety
09-08-2011, 12:10 PM
WOW HDV check out the eyes on the dog on the VERY bottom, "peeky" all black with eyes so blue they look fake! How cool!

Frankie is adorable!

tippikitty
09-08-2011, 12:18 PM
My pretty girl has those eyes as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/tippikitty/th_019.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v630/tippikitty/?action=view&current=019.jpg)

Chester Field
09-08-2011, 12:21 PM
beautiful dog, tippi

tippikitty
09-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks...the pic is a little big tho. I'll try and fix it.

HDV
09-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure that's an updated page because it says August.

http://hosting.soonet.ca/humanesociety/dogs.htm updated but not the dog in question there.

He was friendly and showed no sign of agression. He was excitable though and I know dogs and even cats who bite and tug when playing. He may not have liked children, who knows. It would be ashame if a good dog is put to sleep bc someone was negligent. That dog is suitable for someone and some lifestyle and it would suck if someone just watched as their kids pet the dogs (or kicked at them) when the sign says not to...

I understand completely what you mean, BUT in a way it is a good thing it happened there where it could be dealt with right away instead of some family adopting it and then it killing their toddler or child or whatever. You know what I mean? No dog should bite no matter what. I ve been around dogs that a child can grab it, pull it do whatever to it and it just lays there and takes it..lol thats what a dog should do, not attack.
I dunno, its a sad situation either way. I feel bad for the dog if it has to be put down.

tippikitty
09-08-2011, 12:52 PM
NOT so pretty...lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/tippikitty/141-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/tippikitty/144.jpg

Larimar
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I understand completely what you mean, BUT in a way it is a good thing it happened there where it could be dealt with right away instead of some family adopting it and then it killing their toddler or child or whatever. You know what I mean? No dog should bite no matter what. I ve been around dogs that a child can grab it, pull it do whatever to it and it just lays there and takes it..lol thats what a dog should do, not attack.
I dunno, its a sad situation either way. I feel bad for the dog if it has to be put down.I just have a hard time believing that dog attacked anyone. I don't know it to be the truth. And neither did the first poster really..Keep in mind this isn't a pit bull bred to fight, this is a bull dog bred to work on farms and be social. They make good family pets, just as the mastiff and boxer do :)

HDV
09-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I ..Keep in mind this isn't a pit bull bred to fight, this is a bull dog bred to work on farms and be social :)

Not all pit bulls are fighting dogs. I had a pit bull for 15 years ( sadly he had to be put down 2 years ago cause he had cancer) and he was the most gentle sweet loving dog you would ever meet. People have this thing where they automatically think every pit bull is evil. Its all in how the dog is raised, any dogs can be evil. In the 4 times i was bit by a dog, they were ALL German Sheppards..lol

NOT saying YOU said pit bulls are evil, Im just sayin'. Your comment about pit bulls is what made me think this..lol

HDV
09-08-2011, 03:11 PM
anyways, we got off topic, I hope the kid is ok.

Larimar
09-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Not all pit bulls are fighting dogs. I had a pit bull for 15 years ( sadly he had to be put down 2 years ago cause he had cancer) and he was the most gentle sweet loving dog you would ever meet. People have this thing where they automatically think every pit bull is evil. Its all in how the dog is raised, any dogs can be evil. In the 4 times i was bit by a dog, they were ALL German Sheppards..lol

NOT saying YOU said pit bulls are evil, Im just sayin'. Your comment about pit bulls is what made me think this..lol

I love pitbulls and spent a lot of my free time helping/rescuing them into new homes-Even agressive ones would become submissive around me. I worked well with that breed. So nope, definitely not considering pitbulls evil, just the people who bred them to fight in the first place. My discussion was mainly about the reason pitbulls were designed vs a bulldog. People get them mixed up and they are two different breeds with seperate needs and traits. I wasn't saying, today pitties are bred for any one purpose, but that in history they did have a purpose in being bred and that's why I can understand why some folks are hesitant about them and quick to point fingers. So my point was just that this isn't even a breed of dog with that kind of reputation..and I doubt anything happened..I'd love to hear the real story .jmho

Craig Huckerby
09-08-2011, 04:20 PM
The pit bull ban / law in this province should be repelled. There's no justification for such a ban.

98sierra
09-08-2011, 04:44 PM
the ambulance was called and the lady working at the humane society had a hard time to release the dogs jaw from the child's leg. this was in the parking lot, not sure if they adopted a dog or it was their dog to begin with.

98sierra
09-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Craig aren't you a news guy, can you not find out some info and do a story on this.

Larimar
09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
I'd like to know which dog this was.

Larimar
09-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Craig aren't you a news guy, can you not find out some info and do a story on this.

My fear is the human mind exagerrates things and that this will cause more fear mongering about pitbulls and other similar breeds.

98sierra
09-08-2011, 04:59 PM
it was the white dog that was inside and my wife said it was friendly inside

Larimar
09-08-2011, 05:04 PM
What ashame. Had the staff not known the dogs temperament outside? The volunteers take each dog out for walks. Seems odd that this would happen. I do wonder the story.

Craig Huckerby
09-08-2011, 05:53 PM

I was talking with the humane society today about the incident. Not sure if it's a news worthy story. From my understanding the lady and child was warned that it is a big dog and they said it was okay. These things are bound to happen when you have stressed out dogs , they get excited and sometimes do things that are seen to be aggressive when it's more about the dog being excited, nervous and totally stressed out. In fact I took pictures of that very dog for a story prior to this incident happening and the dog was just a sweetheart and a big one at that.

Larimar
09-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I was talking with the humane society today about the incident. Not sure if it's a news worthy story. From my understanding the lady and child was warned that it is a big dog and they said it was okay. These things are bound to happen when you have stressed out dogs , they get excited and sometimes do things that are seen to be aggressive when it's more about the dog being excited, nervous and totally stressed out. In fact I took pictures of that very dog for a story prior to this incident happening and the dog was just a sweetheart and a big one at that.

When I brought my dog home for the first time she would pull at my bluejeans at the bottom and shake it and play. She thought it was fun. I thought it was "oh no my pants!" lol I can see a huge dog being out of a cage for the first time , getting really excited and people confusing play "bites" as agressive. Had the dog reall wanted to bite I'm sure it was capable of drawing blood and hospitalizing the child. It was big enough to do that.

TNT
09-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Poor kid, I can't imagine the feeling that mother had when her child was grabbed. Wether it be the dogs fault or her fault or nobodys fault. That feeling of helplessness...........that you cant stop the hurt. :( I hope the lil one is okay

lynys
09-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I've been bit a couple times by dogs as a child and that has not detered me from them. One of my bites, there was concern of the dog having rabies, and we sat at the hospital waiting to find out if I had to have rabies shots... yeah, hasn't scarred me.

Too bad the dog got so excited like that. Hope the little one is ok.