PDA

View Full Version : Driving School

Dragonfly
09-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I have been trying to get my g2 for some time now but I do not have anyone to take me to learn how to drive (legally). So I have decided that I am tired of waiting but I dont have 800 dollars to blow on the course so I would pay for private lessons at 60 each. However, speaking to them today they spoke about a pretty large amount saved off of your insurance if you do the full driving school, up to 1000 a year. Anyone go through the course or have kids that did that can vouch for the huge savings on your insurance?? Obviously you do not need to give me a real amount but rather just an opinion of whether it was worth the money (and time as I have a brutal schedule this semester at the college, which is the main reason I am opting for private classes)

MaO3
09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
how much you save is dependant on many things DF - but taking Drivers Ed - give you upon completion the equviallant of 3 years experince on your insurance. So yep it saves you a lot....

Dragonfly
09-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Frig, I was afraid of that haha. Driving school just really does not like to coincide with my school schedule (and the one that does is 800) lol I was hoping it wasnt that big of a difference and I could get away guilt free doing private lessons lol

Barry Morris
09-12-2011, 07:58 PM
In my experience, the driver school costs are just about the same as the saving.

Except for the driving back and forth, and the time, and the fact that driver's ed kids have more accidents. But I guess you aren't a teenager.

Dragonfly
09-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Oh yes, I think I remember some kind of argument about the higher rates of accidents on this board before I wont go there haha

Hans
09-12-2011, 08:34 PM
I just schooled myself, got my G1 and 3 days later my G2.

Dragonfly
09-12-2011, 10:05 PM
I just schooled myself, got my G1 and 3 days later my G2.

haha yes...well...-cough-..lets just say I am not the self taught kinda gal haha I am pretty sure the bug defectors on my car are actually people reflectors..just saying

Amaranth
09-13-2011, 01:56 AM
My boyfriend made a bunch of calls for me the other day to find out if there would be much of a difference for me with insurance if I go to driving school. According to him, there would be. Driving school is going to cost me about $750 so I didn't want to do that. I am terrible at math so he explained it all to me, how much I would save, etc lol. It is worth it... I had thought he just didn't want to teach me to drive himself but apparently he wants me to save money lol.

IMHO
09-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Driving Schools do serve a useful purpose. Students are given all the "facts" regarding safety and the latest information for motorists. Many parents do not want to and/or do not feel qualified to teach driving to their kids. I am aware of studies that show driving school "grads" have more collisions than those not going to Driving School. At least the students were shown what to do and if they choose not to follow that advise AFTER they get their license that is not the fault of the D Schools. It also seems that all local driving schools are doing very well so i can conclude that many find their service a good idea. Lets not forget that many older people utilize driving schools as well.

TPK
09-13-2011, 10:54 AM
My husband just did driving school a couple of years back and we've already easily made our money back plus some. The amount we paid for driving school was saved on our insurance in the first year. Now, keep in mind that's insurance for both of us on one car. I've been driving for over 16 years and he's a new driver, but this was with him as the main driver of the car. So, honesty, I say IF you're going to drive anyway, put out the extra cash upfront and save in the long run.

Dragonfly
09-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks everyone, I am going to see if I can scrounge up the money to do it. Doing regular classes is 100$ cheaper but it is not going to work with my schedule so I have to go with a customized schedule which is 100 more but worth it if they will work around my crazy schedule.