PDA

View Full Version : Why Adopt A Shelter Pet

Bill Nash
09-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Ever get the feeling nobody wants these flea-bitten, garbage diggin', shedding, spraying pieces of wasted flesh. Why do you continue to flog this board with trying to sell them, .....?

Larimar
09-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I want them.

Because every day people are calling themselves "breeders" and scamming people who don't know what an ethical breeder is or does. "designer" dogs hit the market and we've got mutts being sold at top dollar while those "breeders" lie to the buyers.

If people want a pet adopting one allows the person to save a life while not supporting these unethical breeders who just want their money. Would you rather people adopt a mix from a shelter or buy a Shih-Poo for 500 dollars?

Does it really matter that you dislike animals? Would yous seriously rather people buy from scammers than the Humane Society? At least their doing good work.

Any advertsing the shelters can do is good.

Bill Nash
09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
I want them.

Because every day people are calling themselves "breeders" and scamming people who don't know what an ethical breeder is or does. "designer" dogs hit the market and we've got mutts being sold at top dollar while those "breeders" lie to the buyers.

If people want a pet adopting one allows the person to save a life while not supporting these unethical breeders who just want their money. Would you rather people adopt a mix from a shelter or buy a Shih-Poo for 500 dollars?

Does it really matter that you dislike animals? Would yous seriously rather people buy from scammers than the Humane Society? At least their doing good work.

Any advertsing the shelters can do is good.

I would rather the people in the know expose these so-called scammers and put an end to the business that way.

In general, people either discard pets, or let them run away (to become breeders), or let them disrupt the life of some poor unsuspecting driver that hits them. Recycling unwanted pets only helps perpetuate the cycle and produces more unwanted pets. Responsibly, shelters should be doing the pets and society a favour and limit the number of animals available to just what the market demands. Do we keep every car on the road because it still runs, ... do we keep every computer online because it still boots up, .... do we keep every tree and flower because it continues to grow, .....why keep an animal around that nobody wants?

You and your friends can't personally take in every available animal, and if you do, ..... do you keep them until they die a natural death, .... how can you? You should let natural selection take its course and quit tipping the apple cart,....

Larimar
09-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Sorry, but I think of animals as life forms. Life. Living beings.
They aren't cars.
The Humane society doesn't perpetuate anything as they have a spay and neuter policy and often do it themselves. They stop the cycle. I think it's very low of you to try and pull down something that is working as best they can to save lives after idiots dispose of them like they are used cars (which they are not). I have no idea what you're talking about-There's no natural selection with pets. Natural is gone a long time ago.

Go to sootoday classifieds and find all the breeders scamming people and target them instead. I'm sure you can find some humour in people saying their dogs are labradoodles and hypoallergenic.

http://gizmodo.com/5819965/hypoallergenic-dogs-dont-exist -Hypoallergenic dog myth
http://www.vetinfo.com/hypoallergenic-dogs-myths-facts.html

I'm sure there are better ways to waste your time with sarcasm-and help.

A*lil*Loopy
09-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Part of me agrees with you Handyman. It would be great if we could advertise that "Kathy Smoe" or "Don Froe" is mass producing dogs for sale just for profit and you shouldn't attend their residence because you will feel the overwhelming need to rescue these little creatures. It would be a fantastic way to end their gains and creating unwanted animals. Unfortunately things like that aren't mentionable for legal reasons I presume.
I'm guilty of adopting rather than buying these days. I've just adopted 2 little lab mix puppies that some scumbag dumped on the side of the highway. It will cost me a small fortune in vet bills as there were broken bones as well.
But this is my choice, as we all have one. Those of us who are encouraging adopting rather than buying "designer dogs" are just trying to point out the need without screaming about the irresponsible, money hungry, couldn't give a rats' arse later kind of people.

I do think that it is more humane to euthanize an unwanted animal than keeping it caged for months on end with no quality of life. I also feel that it should be mandatory to fix (by lobotomy) or severe monetary fines and jail time, all those who are irresponsible back yard breeders. Just sayin.

chantelle7
09-15-2011, 09:34 AM
I agree with the fact that people should stop buying the so called "designer dogs" for hundreds of dollars when they are just glorified mutts.

Bill Nash
09-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Larimar in bold: .....Sorry, but I think of animals as life forms. Life. Living beings.
They aren't cars.

So are mosquitoes and houseflys, but you think nothing of getting rid of them if they are a nuisence or over-populated. Once a domestic animal is no longer wanted, its purpose on earth is done, ..... do it a favour, ....

The Humane society doesn't perpetuate anything as they have a spay and neuter policy and often do it themselves. They stop the cycle. I think it's very low of you to try and pull down something that is working as best they can to save lives after idiots dispose of them like they are used cars (which they are not).

You say often and not always, ... that is important in my statement. Their policy is to make the buyers of animals from them spay and neuter, but they do not sell every animal, nor do they spay or neuter every animal. Just let one little doggie sperm out of the bag and WHAM!, .... instant muttville. It is only a subjective observation that you think I am "low" to think such things, ..... call every one else this as well, as you can see some do partially agree with me. The Humane Society's goal is not to work to save these animals, it is there mandate. Their goal is to justify their existance to save the jobs of those working there. The days of every little boy and girls wanting a puppy or kitty are long gone, .... they have been replaced with computers and Play Stations, .... hence, they are as disposible as used cars.

I have no idea what you're talking about-There's no natural selection with pets. Natural is gone a long time ago.

Oh, so now Darwin was a myth as well, .... news flash to the science world! They are only pets when they are in the home of an owner. When left to their own devices, nature takes over, .... sorry for the revelation. BTW, .... for someone who has so much sympathy for these animals, don't you agree that "ownership" of a living thing is wrong, .... how would you feel if someone "owned" you?

Go to sootoday classifieds and find all the breeders scamming people and target them instead. I'm sure you can find some humour in people saying their dogs are labradoodles and hypoallergenic.

HELLO, ... I thought it was you who wanted these bandits stopped, .... I could care less about them, .... hey, its a job! To them, their dogs are Labradoodles, in the same way your dogs seem to have some hiiden human trait that makes them on par with us and we should bend over backwards to save them, .... stop wasting our time with phylosophical nonsense.

I'm sure there are better ways to waste your time with sarcasm-and help.

Once again, .... sarcasm is a purely subjective viewpoint, .... I am dead serious. Waste of time, ..... I'm only typing at a keyboard, you're the one volunteering your time to these pseudo-good causes, .... who's really wasteing their time?

BTW, I never started this thread, but originally was commenting on another thread. I guess the Mods in their wisdom decided to move my comments and make it into a separate thread, ... no problem, just wanted to make this clear.

MagicFingers
09-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Handyman I don't agree with you but so be it. I can respect how you think regardless how I feel. But for someone who doesn't like animals you are in the PET SECTION....what do you care what is posted or how often. It would be like me going over to the computer section and telling people they are wasting their time and money.....it doesn't matter to me, it doesn't interest me so I don't visit that section.

There are some people me included that are animal lovers and will continue to work towards bettering the lives of the animals in our community. Yes for me I would do almost anything for my pet. In fact I did, I spent 500$ just last week and still had to have her euthanized as that was the only other HUMANE option left. I could have done what you said and let nature takes it course but then she would have suffered and I wouldn't want that for her.

As for the Humane Society justifying their jobs....GOOD FOR THEM.... with employment rates as low as they are do we really have to complain about various orgaanizations that justify their jobs.

Bill Nash
09-15-2011, 07:28 PM
A fool and their money are soon parted, .....

Bill Nash
09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
But for someone who doesn't like animals you are in the PET SECTION....what do you care what is posted or how often. It would be like me going over to the computer section and telling people they are wasting their time and money.....it doesn't matter to me, it doesn't interest me so I don't visit that section.

I didn't say I didn't like animals, .... I have no use for them, .... there is a difference. I can understand the occasional owner of a pet needing that pet and loving that pet as if it were human, .... some people have no friends, its a substitute. What I can't stomach, is the people who think that every flippin' dog and cat needs to be saved and have a home, .... just get rid of them, obviously nobody wants them, .... is that too hard to see?

My kids had pets, and I showed no ill will towards them (the pets). My neighbours also had pets, .... and never fed or sheltered them. Where did their pets end up, .... on the side of the road, either starving or hit by a car. I know there are two sides to the coin, but don't feed me rubbish how we should endear every animal as if it was our kids, .... just ain't gonna' happen, .....

BTW, .... last I looked, any forum was open to anybody to post in, .... don't like my posts, .... don't read 'em.

MagicFingers
09-15-2011, 10:36 PM
BTW, .... last I looked, any forum was open to anybody to post in, .... don't like my posts, .... don't read 'em.

Same goes for you ....don't shiat on people who are posting in a section that you don't give a damn about.....If you don't like what is posted in this section then don't come here.

Craig Huckerby
09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Handyman, Humans are life forms too and are you saying that if I think your life isn't useful anymore I should just get rid of you like I would a mosquito?

everywoman
09-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Ever get the feeling nobody wants these flea-bitten, garbage diggin', shedding, spraying pieces of wasted flesh. Why do you continue to flog this board with trying to sell them, .....?

I think the simplest answer would be this: anyone who wants a pet from whatever the source may be, does not feel that pets are what you have described. They want to enhance their lives and the animal's lives with what they would hope to be a mutually satisfying "relationship".

Knowing this, the humane society or TAAG etc, continue to advertise, in the hopes that people are looking to adopt these lovable creatures.

I dunno. Just my thoughts.

Bill Nash
09-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Handyman, Humans are life forms too and are you saying that if I think your life is useful anymore I should just get rid of you like I would a mosquito?

Well Pardner, .... in the olden days, that coulda' bin done. Unfortunately (for your mindset group), we now have laws and courts who pursue those people. When animals (other than humans) start to rule the world, I'll stand up and listen, ....

Craig Huckerby
09-16-2011, 07:14 AM
we have laws to protect animals, albeit weak laws .... the laws governing animal welfare in this country need a huge overhaul. Notice I say animal and not insects . To me there is a big difference between the two.

TNT
09-16-2011, 06:57 PM
same goes for you ....don't shiat on people who are posting in a section that you don't give a damn about.....if you don't like what is posted in this section then don't come here.

amen!!!!

Craig Huckerby
09-18-2011, 09:25 AM
"I didn't say I didn't like animals, .... I have no use for them, .... there is a difference. " - Handyman. Sorry to say, but I imagine there's a lot of people that have no use for you either. So where does that leave us? You're an animal, no use, people don't care about you - Time to put Handyman down :)

tablehigh
09-20-2011, 03:13 AM
"I didn't say I didn't like animals, .... I have no use for them, .... there is a difference. " - Handyman. Sorry to say, but I imagine there's a lot of people that have no use for you either. So where does that leave us? You're an animal, no use, people don't care about you - Time to put Handyman down :)

Well said Craig..

kitca
09-20-2011, 05:21 PM
handyman, youre just bored and trying to stir up sh*t. ;)

Larimar
09-20-2011, 07:36 PM
I just adopted a kitty cat :)

kitca
09-20-2011, 09:08 PM
yeah!!!!! good for you! woohoo

Joy.D
09-21-2011, 12:00 AM
I just adopted a kitty cat :)

Congrats!!!! I am sure you will give the kitty a good loving forever home.
Did you adopt from The Humane Society or TAAG?

Larimar
09-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Thank you. We got her from the human society. We'd looked into both places but this one just seemed to fit with us. :)I posted a picture of the two my boyfriend and I adopted (one last May) on the Humane Society facebook page.

Mimi
09-21-2011, 08:07 AM
She is adorable!

Joy.D
09-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Thank you for adopting a shelter pet!!!!!

Larimar
09-21-2011, 06:37 PM
She's such a doll. and the two cats are getting along well.

Larimar
09-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Hah. I made a funny. Sorta to myself lol.
Named the kitten Echo

From Buffy creator's Doll House show with Eliza Dushku. Her name/doll's name is Echo.

So..she's a doll.kinda goes with the show and name :p

good show btw :)

gouligann
09-22-2011, 03:31 PM

MY OH MY, how you generalize about all the "pieces of wasted flesh" waiting for a loving home?

To make yourself less ignorant on the subject, go ask as many people as you can if they feel that way about their adopted pets from the HS, and then come back to this forum. I think you'll find yourself rescinding your statement.

Yes, of course there are many animals that never get a home, but most of the ones who do, are wonderful, loyal, loving pets and their owners wouldn't part with them or trade them for the world. Not everyone can afford the price of, or even WANT a purebred pet. The HS is a perfect alternative.

chantelle7
09-23-2011, 09:07 AM
We adopted our dog Lucy from the Humane Society back in Feb of 2005. She has been a wonderful addition to our family, she has grown up with our kids since they were babies and she is very loyal and protective of them. I am glad I chose to adopt a shelter animal, I wouldn't trade her for the world.

MagicFingers
09-23-2011, 10:48 AM
When I was little my dad adopted a little beagal from the HS for christmas for us. She lived until she was 14 I grew up with her and she was my first pet. Then when I was an adult I got "MY" first cat from HS. I took her sight unseen. Called the HS told them what I was looking for they told me they had nothing like that but that they had an 8 year old (older than i wanted) that came from an elderly lady and she was loveable and nice but not adjusting well to the cage and since no one wants older cats she was slotted for euthanasia at 1pm this is now 11am so I told them no I would take her but couldn't get there until 5 I gave them my credit card and went at 5 to get her. She lived till she was 13 had lung tumors but she was an amazing loving little girl. Then I got a kitten from HS who just recently died at the age of 13 and the other one i got from HS died at age 12 from seizures. But all of them brought me joy, comfort, kept me company when I was lonely cheered me up when I was sad, and I wouldn't trade one minute I have had with them. My next baby will likely come from TAAG I wanted a kitten but now leaning towards a 1-2 year old not sure, I am of the belief that the animal chooses us. I will keep myself open and I am sure we will figure it out, when we meet the baby we are supposed to have I will know it.

Larimar
09-23-2011, 11:24 AM
When I was little my dad adopted a little beagal from the HS for christmas for us. She lived until she was 14 I grew up with her and she was my first pet. Then when I was an adult I got "MY" first cat from HS. I took her sight unseen. Called the HS told them what I was looking for they told me they had nothing like that but that they had an 8 year old (older than i wanted) that came from an elderly lady and she was loveable and nice but not adjusting well to the cage and since no one wants older cats she was slotted for euthanasia at 1pm this is now 11am so I told them no I would take her but couldn't get there until 5 I gave them my credit card and went at 5 to get her. She lived till she was 13 had lung tumors but she was an amazing loving little girl. Then I got a kitten from HS who just recently died at the age of 13 and the other one i got from HS died at age 12 from seizures. But all of them brought me joy, comfort, kept me company when I was lonely cheered me up when I was sad, and I wouldn't trade one minute I have had with them. My next baby will likely come from TAAG I wanted a kitten but now leaning towards a 1-2 year old not sure, I am of the belief that the animal chooses us. I will keep myself open and I am sure we will figure it out, when we meet the baby we are supposed to have I will know it.

I'm happy you were able to rescue the cat before her euthanasia time frame. Your pets are very lucky to have you.

They do bring so much joy and companionship.