PDA

View Full Version : Clicker training

sereenie
08-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Has anyone used this on there dogs , What is this device like does it really help with behavour and training. Please give me your input about this /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

TPK
08-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I know people that have used it. It seems to work well along with treats for good behavor. Just use a juice bottle lid and save yourself some money.

DogsRule
08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Clicker training was taken from dolphin training. It works alot with contacts, and is considered a positive training method, since they get nothing but food. For a fearful dog, this would be a good way to start them out, or for a pup.

Many professionals however question clicker training and ask "is the dog TRUELY educated with strictly clicker training?" If a squirrel runs by, how can you guarantee your dog will stick around for what they will think is a stupid click and treat? Squirrels are way more fun! You should also use their kibble as treats as opposed to additional treats, or you will make your dog fat and unhealthy.

It goes about 50/50 in the training/behavior world. 50% love it and 50% hate it.

Personally, I prefer to do trial and error with my dogs, I keep up the positivity and the fun, and I see results in a VERY short time frame. Take baby steps, correct and reward. If the dog has a problem, take a step back. But that's just how I like to work, then I know the dog is doing it and is thinking about it.

IMO, if it works for you, then all the power to you.