PDA

View Full Version : Tipping question

Saultgirl
09-20-2011, 08:09 AM
If you order take-out from a restaurant, do you leave a tip? I picked up some food the other day, and when I was paying by debit I couldn't figure out how to *not* leave a tip (and I was too embarassed to ask) so I left a couple of bucks.... but then I was wondering if it's common for people to leave a tip for this? If I got the food delivered I would tip the driver, and if I ate in the restaurant I would tip the waitress, but if I go and get it myself??

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 08:14 AM
I would never be embarrassed to ask when it is my money involved. That being said, a tip is for performance, not simply showing up for work. NO, I will/would never tip a take out person unless they where offering a special service over and above the job at hand.

Tutones
09-20-2011, 08:15 AM
I don't. Would you expect to leave a tip at a drive through?

My biggest pet peeve are convenience stores with 'tip jars' at the counter. Why should I tip someone for doing the job they are already paid to do? I can see it in restaurant where they are usually paid less than minimum wage but not in a store where they are already being paid $10 + just to work a cash register.

Huggy85
09-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Tip is for service provided by the wait staff. You weren't waited upon. You used the same debit machine used by eat in customers so you were presented the tipping option.

No tip when you pick up food IMO.

IMHO
09-20-2011, 09:24 AM
It has happened to me and I simply ask the cashier HOW TO bypass the tip portion. No problem...they complied without hesitation. WHat galls me is when I put a certain amount of money on the table...the waitress comes to pick it up and says"Would you like change?" It is up to me to say no change. There is the presumption of a tip. Many times I want the change back so I can then leave a tip in the denomination I choose.

verotik66
09-20-2011, 09:49 AM
i do throw a bit of a tip on take out

SIMBA
09-20-2011, 10:40 AM
I prefer to leave the tip on the table. It sorta makes it personal rather than almost forced. I don't like the question on the debit machine. It might as well say "don't forget the tip idiot"...lol

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 10:53 AM
A tip should be warranted not expected. A tip is a reward for going above and beyond not performing as expected. Asking me to leave a tip is not unlike a singer demanding a standing ovation. Only if I think it warranted.

SIMBA
09-20-2011, 11:15 AM
I agree.

lynys
09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Unfortunately, we live in an era where people do not carry cash. So, it's on the machine as a question.

Tipping on take out is not right IMO. For starters, the cooks make more money than waitstaff, and two, the waitstaff has to pay a portion of their tips to the cooks. Not at all fair if people tip based on the service they receive.

BFLPE
09-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Not fair to tip based on the service? What do you base it on then?

lynys
09-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I mean it's not fair for servers to have to pay the cooks a portion of their money, because they are being tipped based on the service they provide, not the cooking.

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 11:38 AM
I mean it's not fair for servers to have to pay the cooks a portion of their money, because they are being tipped based on the service they provide, not the cooking.

Especially in a scarfing establishment such as Rotten Ronnie's that allows NO deviation on their recipes.

BFLPE
09-20-2011, 11:41 AM
I mean it's not fair for servers to have to pay the cooks a portion of their money, because they are being tipped based on the service they provide, not the cooking.Yep, agree with you.

opinionated
09-20-2011, 11:47 AM

I disagree to a point. While you're right that cooks make more money - I do believe that they deserve a portion of tips for FOOD (not liquor). Usually this "tipout" is very small to begin with, but I still think deserved. Servers are tipped based on the service they provide for the most part, but the quality of the food and the speed of preparation also play a big part. Also, the busier the restaurant is, the busier the kitchen is. The small tipout they receive is motivation to keep quality and quantity up.

Including the kitchen in tips is intended to make them more motivated, which in theory equals more tips out on the floor.

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 11:58 AM
The small tipout they receive is motivation to keep quality and quantity up. Including the kitchen in tips is intended to make them more motivated, which in theory equals more tips out on the floor.

I would have thought getting a pay cheque would be motivation enough as they are more often than not payed a premium based on seats filled and money through the till? Wait staff receive minimum rage and all the condescension they can handle. The tip is to reward a job poorly rewarded by management one of which the cook/chef should not be.

opinionated
09-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I would have thought getting a pay cheque would be motivation enough as they are more often than not payed a premium based on seats filled and money through the till? Wait staff receive minimum rage and all the condescension they can handle. The tip is to reward a job poorly rewarded by management one of which the cook/chef should not be.

A paycheque SHOULD be enough motivation, yes. And considering that most tipout is 1 or 2% of tips, it probably is. I just think that tipout is good because it includes the kitchen staff in the outcome of the entire operation. Higher tips are usually connected with the quality of the food, along with the service provided by the server. And besides, a decent server at an average restaurant routinely earns over $20/hr when you include tips - more than the kitchen staff (unless you're talking about high-end or chefs).

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Excellent point, perhaps a chef tip jar at the till? When I tip a server I tip for them, not the chef, caretaker, doorman etc. Not to be smart but I have been known to ask to speak with the chef and our meeting has left us both smiling. I chose whom I wish to reward and I will go out of my way to show my appreciation as well as to be sure they know if I am displeased as well.

lynys
09-20-2011, 12:32 PM
A paycheque SHOULD be enough motivation, yes. And considering that most tipout is 1 or 2% of tips, it probably is. I just think that tipout is good because it includes the kitchen staff in the outcome of the entire operation. Higher tips are usually connected with the quality of the food, along with the service provided by the server. And besides, a decent server at an average restaurant routinely earns over $20/hr when you include tips - more than the kitchen staff (unless you're talking about high-end or chefs).

Usually 10-15% of tips actually.

BFLPE
09-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Years ago I made great tips as a cook where the servers didn't have to give us anything. Just like a guaranteed tip is no motivation to a server I don't see how a set rate is any motivation for the kitchen, bussers, bartenders, hostesses etc.

nightingale
09-20-2011, 02:36 PM
A looooong time ago I used to work as a server in a couple of different restaurants, one diner-type, and one high end. We never had to give any tips to anyone. Made awesome tips too!

BrAt
09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I always tip take out. Who do you think gets the order together for you? It's not like they just stand there. They take the order, pass it on to the kitchen and then gather it for pick up. If all of this is done in a pleasant manner, why don't they deserve a tip?

Miles From Nowhere
09-20-2011, 04:12 PM
There is a pizza place I frequent here that has the tip option on the debit. It is programmed to press no for tip. I think if your debit machine does not allow you to opt out of the tip, it was programmed that way. That said, while we're discussing tips, there is something that really bothers me...maybe others have come across this. There is a nice sit down restaurant outside of Sudbury and the food is great and the wait staff are fantastic. I always tip between 20-30%. The first time I paid my bill with debit, I proceeded to enter a generous tip amount, THEN I was presented with the 50 cent interac fee confirmation. It was only 50 cents but I thought as a matter of principle, the fee confirmation should precede entering the tip. In fact, since the bill was over $70, they could have done away with that damn fee altogether.

dancingqueen
09-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I used to work as a dish pig in one of our fine establishments. Places that divy up a portion of the tips also divy it up to the rest of the support staff. As CJ mentioned, the support staff all help make the meal what it was and are reason why there is any tipping at all.

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 04:41 PM
I always tip take out. Who do you think gets the order together for you? It's not like they just stand there. They take the order, pass it on to the kitchen and then gather it for pick up. If all of this is done in a pleasant manner, why don't they deserve a tip?

Tips are to recognize your going above and beyond not what you do for every one as part of your job.

Tutones
09-20-2011, 04:45 PM
A tip should be warranted not expected. A tip is a reward for going above and beyond not performing as expected. Asking me to leave a tip is not unlike a singer demanding a standing ovation. Only if I think it warranted.

I disagree with this only because our government has determined that servers can be paid below minimum wage since they receive tips for their service. If a server performed as expected 100% of the time (ie. did their job) and didn't receive a tip they would starve on the wage that they receive pre-tip. The reason servers are paid less? Because they receive tips. Tip them less but don't not tip them unless they are actually bad at their job.

dancingqueen
09-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I disagree with this only because our government has determined that servers can be paid below minimum wage since they receive tips for their service. If a server performed as expected 100% of the time (ie. did their job) and didn't receive a tip they would starve on the wage that they receive pre-tip. The reason servers are paid less? Because they receive tips. Tip them less but don't not tip them unless they are actually bad at their job.

And this really bugs me. The Gov't and the restraunt managers put the onus on us to make up for their wages.

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 04:49 PM
There is a pizza place I frequent here that has the tip option on the debit. It is programmed to press no for tip. I think if your debit machine does not allow you to opt out of the tip, it was programmed that way. That said, while we're discussing tips, there is something that really bothers me...maybe others have come across this. There is a nice sit down restaurant outside of Sudbury and the food is great and the wait staff are fantastic. I always tip between 20-30%. The first time I paid my bill with debit, I proceeded to enter a generous tip amount, THEN I was presented with the 50 cent interac fee confirmation. It was only 50 cents but I thought as a matter of principle, the fee confirmation should precede entering the tip. In fact, since the bill was over $70, they could have done away with that damn fee altogether.

Last trip to Toronto we went to our "spot" for a supper with my son in law, daughter and one rug rat and another couple. The bill is typically three figures, but I think, worth it. This time around, same thing, AFTER the tip a $1.50 transaction fee. On a 700 dollar check? I don't think so. When I pointed out to management the error of their ways we received a token of their appreciation at our patronage. I will return for my freeby and not darken their door again.

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 04:53 PM

Here we will disagree. I tip for service above and beyond not mediocre service. Offer me a wine you appreciate, a bit of direction at items NOT on the special that sort of thing and Bob's your uncle. Tip a bit less for a job done solely because you need a paycheck, not going to happen.

BrAt
09-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Well, I suppose that's where we differ. I don't tip people just for "extras" they may do. I tip for good service and this doesn't always only include sitting down at a restaurant. If the person getting my order ready for take-out gives me good service, I give them a tip in return. If the delivery driver gives me good service, I give him a tip etc. etc. People tip different amounts and obviously for different reasons.

So, my answer to the OPs original question would be to use your own discretion and tip when you see fit. :)

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Well, I suppose that's where we differ. I don't tip people just for "extras" they may do. I tip for good service and this doesn't always only include sitting down at a restaurant. If the person getting my order ready for take-out gives me good service, I give them a tip in return. If the delivery driver gives me good service, I give him a tip etc. etc. People tip different amounts and obviously for different reasons.

So, my answer to the OPs original question would be to use your own discretion and tip when you see fit. :)

*('_')* LIKE* ('_')*

In the inimitable words of J.G. Wentworth "It is your money spend it how you want!".

icemantbi
09-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Interesting topic, since I tried delivery work last night. I couldnt believe some didnt give any tip at all! I mean, I drove your food to your house, using my car and my gas. I would tip at least $4, which a few people did (and I appreciated them btw). But at the end of the day, I made 12 deliveries and about $50 for a 10 hour shift, so $5 an hour. No thanks!

icecapp
09-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I don't. Would you expect to leave a tip at a drive through?

My biggest pet peeve are convenience stores with 'tip jars' at the counter. Why should I tip someone for doing the job they are already paid to do? I can see it in restaurant where they are usually paid less than minimum wage but not in a store where they are already being paid $10 + just to work a cash register.

You know I used to think exactly like you... UNTILL.. I decided to take a position in a convenience store/gas bar...

THE BS a convenience store clerk has to deal with Is just that BULL ****.. There is so much more then one would think, to me for all the bs of lottery and Cigarette(sp) sales you have to deal with, with what you can and cant do.. and trust me proper training is not provided...... other then reading Many and many manuals, and being tested when you do not even know, and could face Fines, bigger then somes yearly salarys, A convenience store clerk should make a hell of alot more then 10+ per hr.. IMO

I actually really changed my way of thinking, I feel very sorry for stuff they have to put with..

katnfranca
09-20-2011, 07:32 PM
we actually had a waitress who refused to wait on us because we never left her a tip,the other waitresses at this place, we always tip them,but her no,terrible service from her so whenever we walked into the place she always refused to wait on us.

everywoman
09-20-2011, 07:33 PM
What about tipping delivery people, if the establishment charges for delivery??

Saultgirl
09-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Wow, I was a bit shocked to see all the replies!! So does anyone know how to opt out of the tip on the debit machine, since there was no obvious way to do it? I was totally too embarassed to ask.

lynys
09-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Don't be embarassed to ask. Simply ask them how to pass by the tip option. The server or counter person has no qualms abotu telling you.

BrAt
09-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Wow, I was a bit shocked to see all the replies!! So does anyone know how to opt out of the tip on the debit machine, since there was no obvious way to do it? I was totally too embarassed to ask.

All of the machines I have seen says "TIP Yes or No". I have yet to see one without the option.

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 09:20 PM
All of the machines I have seen says "TIP Yes or No". I have yet to see one without the option.

You are, of course right but hey, this pissed away an afternoon. You say potato I say, gimme a beer.

Saultgirl
09-20-2011, 10:21 PM

The options were TIP - 15% or OTHER ... I pressed "other" and it gave me different percentage options or specify an amount, at which point I punched "specify" and put in $2 and went ahead. I guess I could have entered $0?

Anapeg
09-20-2011, 11:18 PM
The options were TIP - 15% or OTHER ... I pressed "other" and it gave me different percentage options or specify an amount, at which point I punched "specify" and put in $2 and went ahead. I guess I could have entered $0?

$0.00 might work?

gouligann
09-21-2011, 10:39 AM
The only take out place that I tip at is at the Timmie's window and I will only give a quarter or so.