PDA

View Full Version : Those small camping 1lb propane bottles should be band.

Lance1
09-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Just came from our favourite camping spot up by Wawa, I must of counted over 100 of those un-reusable green 1lb propane cylinders thrown in the bush.

I think they should band them them or make them refillable if they want to sell them. The steel container is worth more then the small amount of propane they hold I would think.:confused2:

I guess thats why they make them green in colour so when you toss them in the bush they will not stand out as much?

Anapeg
09-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Start the petition to instigate the ban and I will sign. Don't be pissed with the manufacturer though for not making them refillable. It is you fellow campers who don't wish to transport the empty's out to have them refilled that are the problem. Try finding one of those little buggers with a machine heavy enough to rupture one and watch the excitement begin. Scary as hell. Even when MT they have enough pressure to unsettle ones nerves when unintentionally popped.

hobo
09-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Coleman tried to come up with a recycle method but it didn't go over so well.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/recycle/cylinder_dis.asp

Sault Ste Marie specialty waste site will take propane cyclinders.

http://www.city.sault-ste-marie.on.ca/Article_Page.aspx?ID=340&deptid=1

mothwoman
09-21-2011, 10:25 AM
I will sign it too! I love to see things get banned.

gouligann
09-21-2011, 10:34 AM
The lake where we camp at also has them heaved into the bush by lazy dumbasses every year. I guess people are too cheap or don't know that you can buy an attachment for regular sized (20lbs?) gas bottles that attach to those small BBQ's that are handy and compact for camping.

I will also sign a petition to ban them.

Anapeg
09-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Simple solution? Numerical tracking. When found the numbers go back to the original purchaser and fines, stiff fines could be levied. Regardless if the original buyer was the litterer or not, **** runs down hill and should I be fined for someone else's littering, trust me I will correct the problem.

Lance1
09-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I seen a nice portable 5lb propane bottle at Canadian tire, I just have to buy the attachment hose. The regular 20lb bottle is a little to big to carry on our ATV camping trips.

Cheaper as well, I can refill that 5lb tank for $5

5 of those green 1lb bottles would cost over $20.

Peety
09-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Whenever I see these or any other garbage in the bush, I pick it up.
I always carry a heavy trash bag or two in my pickup for this reason.
People need to gain a little respect for our beautiful outdoors.

Now what will the bears play with??

Lance1
09-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Whenever I see these or any other garbage in the bush, I pick it up.
I always carry a heavy trash bag or two in my pickup for this reason.
People need to gain a little respect for our beautiful outdoors.

The 100+ bottles we seen trashed was in a ATV only access camp spot, you would need a entire pickup truck for the amount of bottles we seen and no 4wd truck is getting down that goat trail.

SSMP
09-21-2011, 12:40 PM
I always go by the saying "If you can pack it in, you can pack it out."
I like Anapeg's idea, track them back to the owner, or ban them.

Misschix
09-22-2011, 12:26 AM
lol i rely on those green propane cans to keep light my heater up and keep me warm or warm my tent up when im cold....those people who do not use them responsibly screw it up for the rest of us....I tell you went camping a few weeks ago and i was so happy to have my propane to warm my damp tent up as this is the first year i didnt get sick....

Bluesky
09-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Simple solution? Numerical tracking. When found the numbers go back to the original purchaser and fines, stiff fines could be levied. Regardless if the original buyer was the litterer or not, **** runs down hill and should I be fined for someone else's littering, trust me I will correct the problem.

Hmm, the govt totally screwed up the gun registry. Maybe they could do a propane bottle registry. Good idea in theory. But PLEASE don't ask the govt to do this. ;)

kitca
09-22-2011, 08:36 AM
well said chixy, i agree. we use them too. we have a 5lber, but use those in the tent heater and whatnot. i hate seeing campers be so disgusting! i dont understand it. why go out there to such a natural beautiful area just to mess it up? pack it in and pack it out!!!

that said, i see so many of the crown land areas becoming dumps. i was sick to my stomach at hibbert bay. that is one of the most beautiful spots imaginable and there was garbage and those horrible toilet boxes just sitting right out by the beach. that is the quickest way to get the whole area ______ ( i cant think of the work, when they shut it down and build the big ditch and sand pile in all the entrances).

Anapeg
09-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Hmm, the govt totally screwed up the gun registry. Maybe they could do a propane bottle registry. Good idea in theory. But PLEASE don't ask the govt to do this. ;)

Manufacturer stamps a unique number on every cylinder during manufacture. The said number is recorded at time of sale. Cylinder located in bush area? Number traced back to purchaser and charges laid.

Anapeg
09-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Don't think they could make that one stick!

They could say they sold them in a yard sale.

Still their responsibility or a registry to change ownership over the net. You decide to never camp again take the empty's to the scrap yard. Our environment is ultimately OUR responsibility and if we don't step up and take ownership it will not last. It has to stop and it will never happen voluntarily. My camp is two hours north and we find chesterfields and engine blocks out there. We gated and put signage. Someone else must be the recipient of the "goodies" now.

BFLPE
09-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Oh god, I'd need a PAC to buy propane.

Anapeg
09-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Oh god, I'd need a PAC to buy propane.

I don't have a need for them but I do none the less have to deal with the empty's other's leave behind. So if this is what it takes I am down with that.

bluekrissyspikes
09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
the best solution, imo, would be to charge a couple bucks more for them and then have a refund when you take them back.

Anapeg
09-22-2011, 12:00 PM
the best solution, imo, would be to charge a couple bucks more for them and then have a refund when you take them back.
It would have to be substantial enough to give people pause but yes it would work.

miller25
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Those little bottles are refillable.I do it all the time.You just have to buy the adapter $20.00 and freeze the little bottles then place 20lber upside down and fill away..A lot cheaper that way.Been doing this for over 10 years.

Anapeg
09-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Those little bottles are refillable.I do it all the time.You just have to buy the adapter $20.00 and freeze the little bottles then place 20lber upside down and fill away..A lot cheaper that way.Been doing this for over 10 years.

Doncha just hate it when someone comes in and blows a perfectly good thread outa the water with friggin' common sense? Jeeze!

Tutones
09-22-2011, 04:18 PM
I think the idiots dumping them in the bush should be 'banned' or rather, flogged. Pretty ignorant if you ask me. Nothing wrong with the cylinders. They can be turned in to traders metal for $ if they cannot be recycled.

AmdWolfman
09-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Hard to believe you counted over 100 cylinders, must be terrible fishing if everyone goes there and alot of people go each year.

Anapeg
09-23-2011, 09:16 AM
One would surmise the collection took a few years not but a single summer, but then that's me.

miller25
09-23-2011, 02:30 PM
leave the valve open for 3 min. done

Anapeg
09-23-2011, 03:57 PM
How did you come to this conclusion, by weighing a new one and then adjusting the time?

Then you need divide by 7/8's to compensate for heat transfer and coolness of the smaller bottle. Very scientific. If they are like me, try it and if it doesn't kill you maintain that course.

will
09-23-2011, 04:16 PM
um hate to say it and im not always a great speelr on line, but its spelled banned

Huggy85
09-23-2011, 04:19 PM
um hate to say it and im not always a great speelr on line, but its spelled banned

Sheesh. And all along I thought this thread was about a potential new musical group called the "Propane Bottles".

(little nit picky, eh will?)

Anapeg
09-24-2011, 08:08 AM
20 pounder would be a b itch to hike around with wouldn't it? Bungy cords to hold it on your pack sack, or just drag it along behind ya.

kitca
09-24-2011, 11:00 AM
They are already talking about blocking off vehicle access there.
where did you hear that? id love to know more. it is such a beautiful area and i was disgusted with what people can do.