PDA

View Full Version : Now we know where the money for the new PUC buiding is coming from

miller25
09-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Did everyone get their letter from the PUC yesterday in the mail??? Now I know where the money is coming from to build this new building.You will pay 10.7 cents in peak hours..summer 11am-5pm..winter 7am-11am and 5pm-7pm.. 8.9cents summer 7am-11am and 5pm-7pm...winter 11am-5am... and 5.9 cents the rest of the hours..So when you are up and living,pumping gas,stores open,watch tv, laundry,etc you are paying double..guess we have to all start living from 7pm-7am just to make ends meet..great job councils..screw the tax payers again and raise our taxes while your at it..

Craig Huckerby
09-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Did everyone get their letter from the PUC yesterday in the mail??? Now I know where the money is coming from to build this new building.You will pay 10.7 cents in peak hours..summer 11am-5pm..winter 7am-11am and 5pm-7pm.. 8.9cents summer 7am-11am and 5pm-7pm...winter 11am-5am... and 5.9 cents the rest of the hours..So when you are up and living,pumping gas,stores open,watch tv, laundry,etc you are paying double..guess we have to all start living from 7pm-7am just to make ends meet..great job councils..screw the tax payers again and raise our taxes while your at it..

That has nothing to do with council. The money you pay for the new building will come from a $6 surcharge on your bill for up to 26 years. What you describe comes from the Ontario Power Board.

miller25
09-23-2011, 04:54 PM
what is the reason for paying double on peak hours which is supper time or when people get home from work and turn on the lights,tv.etc...Day cares run durning the day and they double their power from 11am-5pm....ya sure does make sense

Tutones
09-23-2011, 05:24 PM
The whole point is to encourage people to use LESS power during this time (ie. don't do none essential things like vacumn or wash laundry until later in the day).

Personally, I dont' see the sudden need to DOUBLE our power costs to do this - Wouldn't it make more sense to just offer a lower incentive for off peak and just 'marginally' increase peak hour consumption. Someone is making a whole lot of money off this deal! Residential sources have little influence over on peak usage - it's office buildings, factories and other daytime commercial/educational operations that create the 'peak' in demand during the day but unfortunately, we are the ones 'sucking it up'.

Tutones
09-23-2011, 05:25 PM
what is the reason for paying double on peak hours which is supper time or when people get home from work and turn on the lights,tv.etc...Day cares run durning the day and they double their power from 11am-5pm....ya sure does make sense

Time to buy candles and a gas stove!

blueeyedgirl
09-23-2011, 07:11 PM
I called when I got the letter because we have electric heat. Its not like I can just turn my heat off during peak time in the middle of winter. So I called to ask if there was something in place for us in Northern Ontario who heat using electric heat. They said nope that so far when my heat kicks on during peak time I will be paying during that time. He then looked at my usage from last year and said based on what we used last year we are looking at paying about double for our heating. I can't wait to bend over this winter and take it up the @ss :(

Reckidecky
09-23-2011, 08:59 PM
A bit off topic... but what really pisses me off is all the perpetual gloating and bragging that come from politicians about all the projects that 100's of millions of dollars are spent on...as if they were doing us a favor, good job spending our tax dollars...NOT. Far from happy about all the spending personally...but hey, their creating jobs right (and more tax payers) Sounds as if their making sure their taking care of themselves first if you ask me! @$#% Higher cost of living goes along well with the heavy tax burden...guess is my point.

b&aMom
09-23-2011, 09:56 PM
I have to wonder if this is not only to reduce peak usage, but to help pay for their contacts with the Green suppliers. Aren't they paying out about 80 cents a kwh to the solar producers? How is that paid for when we pay 5 or 6 cents a kwh? Don't know what the US pays when they buy from us, but I bet it's not 80 cents.

KDawg
09-23-2011, 11:33 PM
The whole point is to encourage people to use LESS power during this time (ie. don't do none essential things like vacumn or wash laundry until later in the day).

Personally, I dont' see the sudden need to DOUBLE our power costs to do this - Wouldn't it make more sense to just offer a lower incentive for off peak and just 'marginally' increase peak hour consumption. Someone is making a whole lot of money off this deal! Residential sources have little influence over on peak usage - it's office buildings, factories and other daytime commercial/educational operations that create the 'peak' in demand during the day but unfortunately, we are the ones 'sucking it up'.
The whole point is for the PUC to increase their revenues. This whole "being green and using less electricity" argument is a farce...they didn't have tyhe balls to just raise our rates.

And the TOU billing it's conveniently not in effect until AFTER the election.

steve
09-24-2011, 01:52 PM
It is your liberal government!!!!!!!all the cash orazzetti(sp) is throwing around didnt just pop out of the air.The provincial government making deals like the one with toshiba i think that pays toshiba 83 cents a kilowatt hour,why do we think all these stupid mirror farms have turned up?..forget green power we need more nuclear power.

MagicFingers
09-24-2011, 02:28 PM
A bit off topic... but what really pisses me off is all the perpetual gloating and bragging that come from politicians about all the projects that 100's of millions of dollars are spent on...as if they were doing us a favor, good job spending our tax dollars...NOT. Far from happy about all the spending personally...but hey, their creating jobs right (and more tax payers) Sounds as if their making sure their taking care of themselves first if you ask me! @$#% Higher cost of living goes along well with the heavy tax burden...guess is my point.

To go even more off topic. not sure if anyone else has experienced this...however they have added yet another tax that wasn't there in 2007...since 2007 you now pay HST on funeral services. ALL funeral services are taxable. That was never the case before. Like food it was a necessity not like you had a choice to die or not and you don't have a choice regardless if you have a viewing or not there are expenses when you die. ALL of them are taxed now. We were shocked when we paid for my Grandmothers funeral and saw the tx amount. It is down right shamefulthat our government is taking even more from everyone (mostly elderly) at time of death.

Anapeg
09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
It is your liberal government!!!!!!!all the cash orazzetti(sp) is throwing around didnt just pop out of the air.The provincial government making deals like the one with toshiba i think that pays toshiba 83 cents a kilowatt hour,why do we think all these stupid mirror farms have turned up?..forget green power we need more nuclear power.

Which government was it that sold off OUR publicly owned electric supply again?

Reckidecky
09-24-2011, 05:18 PM
To go even more off topic. not sure if anyone else has experienced this...however they have added yet another tax that wasn't there in 2007...since 2007 you now pay HST on funeral services. ALL funeral services are taxable. That was never the case before. Like food it was a necessity not like you had a choice to die or not and you don't have a choice regardless if you have a viewing or not there are expenses when you die. ALL of them are taxed now. We were shocked when we paid for my Grandmothers funeral and saw the tx amount. It is down right shamefulthat our government is taking even more from everyone (mostly elderly) at time of death.

Disgraceful!

Lizzard_n_Bubba_13
09-24-2011, 05:40 PM
I am thinking that this is where Direct Energy may come in to play depending in their prices....because with them it doesnt matter what time...apparently their price stays the same regardless of the time of day....something to look into maybe....i know i am going to

Tutones
09-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Direct Energy's current contract rate is 6.99 cents per kilowatt hour PLUS an additional charge of 2.82 cents per kilowatt hour (global adjustment fee). Works out to 9.81 cents per kilowatt hour total.

Personally, I think I'll take my chances with the PUC rates.

icemantbi
09-25-2011, 06:06 PM
If you have electric heat, you are better off going to gas, because thet hike is.going to be a killer tbis winter.

yoda
09-25-2011, 09:29 PM
when you're a renter you really don't have much choice. Electricity is going to be going up even more than this in the up-coming years

Shawn
09-25-2011, 10:24 PM
You also have to remember too that the PUC charges for you to be with a reseller, so add another $50 to your monthly bill so the 9 cents just went up... The one thing I don't like is they are fitting everyone into a 9-5 work day... what about those who work nights, now they get milked for working outside of a standard day.

Peety
09-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Time of use is a good idea, but the rates could be more reasonable..

I'll bet solar panel and windmill sales will be on the rise now.

It would take you 7-10 years to pay of solar panels.

Peety
09-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Don't try and do math before you're fully awake! ;)

Be nice now. I have a friend who explained it to me.It will take them that long to pay back the loan.

lynys
09-26-2011, 11:23 AM

Funerals are not a necessity!!!!

Scoff
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm ok with the new pricing ... it seems the only time I will be home using electricity is in off-peak hours.

Yep, I'm ok with it.

CANDY_74
09-26-2011, 04:18 PM
guess we have to all start living from 7pm-7am just to make ends meet..

Here at our house for the last 3 months Ive been getting everyone into a routine of stuff so that when the TOU comes in they're already on track with it.

We've been doing our laundry just on weekends usually and if it has to be done during the week then its not done til after 7pm, and the dishwasher isn't started until 9pm at night...and we never eat supper til 6/630pm anyways.....

I'm just glad that we don't have electric heat here.....

blueeyedgirl
09-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Going to look into gas heat and weigh the pro's and cons. With what PUC told me to heat my house this winter with the TOU in place we won't be able to afford to live here for very long lol

Koss
09-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I am thinking that this is where Direct Energy may come in to play depending in their prices....because with them it doesnt matter what time...apparently their price stays the same regardless of the time of day....something to look into maybe....i know i am going to

You had better look very closely before making that decision as people having been paying more through them then directly to the utility providers for years. And good luck getting out of that contract if you need to.

Look, the fact is we are all using more electricity these days and there is a cost for that. I don't see the harm in trying ot motivate people away from peak hours. I'm at work at that time anyway.

09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Do your calculations people.

I for one, am going to be saving money. All my laundry is done after the kids are in bed, 7-8pm anyway. I run the dishwasher just before we go to bed. I turn my electric heat down to minimum when we are all away during the day. Most of my activity is after 7pm anyway. 7pm-7am is a cheaper rate than it is now.

I will pay less for my heat in the winter, less for my dishwasher, less for my washer and dryer and less for lights! That saves more money than what my fridge and few electronics consume when i'm not home.

blueeyedgirl
09-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Do your calculations people.

I for one, am going to be saving money. All my laundry is done after the kids are in bed, 7-8pm anyway. I run the dishwasher just before we go to bed. I turn my electric heat down to minimum when we are all away during the day. Most of my activity is after 7pm anyway. 7pm-7am is a cheaper rate than it is now.

I will pay less for my heat in the winter, less for my dishwasher, less for my washer and dryer and less for lights! That saves more money than what my fridge and few electronics consume when i'm not home.

We do the same thing during the day when no one is home and at night as well but according to the guy at PUC when he did the math we will be paying almost double what we normally would and we burn with wood too. I hope the guy is just an idiot and can't do math!

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
09-28-2011, 09:28 PM
We will save coin until PUC decides that everyone and their cousin is using more electricity during the off peak times and then these off peak times turn into peak times and we are all screwed. Sounds messed but I wouldn't put it past them!!

Anapeg
09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
We will save coin until PUC decides that everyone and their cousin is using more electricity during the off peak times and then these off peak times turn into peak times and we are all screwed. Sounds messed but I wouldn't put it past them!!

Exactly. Peak period is a phrase not a specific time. Peak period is when the most electricity is consumed. Change the time for peak usage then change your definition of the times to be penalized. Have you ever participated in the shell game? Sit and be amazed.

09-28-2011, 10:14 PM
We all can't forget that we live in the Sault. OEB controls, well, Ontario!!!! Cities like Ottawa and GTA consume way more than we can imagine during the day. We work off a grid.

We can't be narrow minded when it comes to the Sault, like most of you tend to be. If everyone can shift their personal usage to the night time, then the demand should lessen during the day.

This time of use billing, if done properly, PUC can stand to lose money. They still have to pay OEB, and a lot of money at that.

Daytime will always be peak, that is when the most demand is.

KDawg
09-28-2011, 10:27 PM
We all can't forget that we live in the Sault. OEB controls, well, Ontario!!!! Cities like Ottawa and GTA consume way more than we can imagine during the day. We work off a grid.

We can't be narrow minded when it comes to the Sault, like most of you tend to be. If everyone can shift their personal usage to the night time, then the demand should lessen during the day.

This time of use billing, if done properly, PUC can stand to lose money. They still have to pay OEB, and a lot of money at that.

Daytime will always be peak, that is when the most demand is.
Not a chance.

Duke
09-28-2011, 10:49 PM
The whole energy rates / PUC thing is a rather difficult thing to understand, perhaps more complicated than cell phone plans. You can thank the Harris PC Government for this (even if todayís PCís are blaming the Liberals). I work with the PUC and offer the following facts;

1. PUCís revenue doesnít come from the energy rate, as a result, it doesnít make any (financial) difference whether the customer pays the time-of-use rate, the fixed Regulated Price Plan rate or signs with a retailer, itís all the same to PUC.

2. The Ontario Energy Board sets the energy rates for the entire Province and it is possible that the time of use rates will be adjusted to obtain the reduction in demand that the Province wants to see, the PUC has no control or say in energy rates.

3. The impact of the transition to TOU prices depends entirely on the individual load profile and is very difficult to predict but is likely to be in the range of a few dollars either way. Having said this, it is very unlikely that someoneís bill would double based on TOU rates. For example if you use 1000 kWh a month, based on the fixed rate during summer (see OEB website) you would pay $72.40 for the energy (not considering the other charges that remain the same). If you used ALL the 1000 kWh at the high rate of 10.7 cents and NONE at the lower rates you would pay $107 for the energy. A significant increase but not double.

4. Most retailer contracts are for around 9.9 cents per kWh regardless of the time, it gives you the benefit of a fixed rate but itís like paying the high rate all the time.