PDA

View Full Version : The 12 Worst Reasons for not Spaying or Neutering a Pet

tablehigh
09-26-2011, 12:19 AM
The 12 Worst Reasons for not Spaying or Neutering a Pet
Please donít be one of the people that is hurting all of us, especially the animals, by allowing your cat or dog to go unspayed or unneutered. If your pet is not "fixed," that is the problem. Don't get a cat/kitten, dog/puppy unless you are ready to make the appointment for spaying or neutering. If you have a pet, DO IT NOW. All pets should be spayed/neutered by 4 months of age & can be safely done as young as 8 weeks. NO - it is not healthier for an animal to go through its first heat before altering. NO - it is not better for an animal to have one litter. And NO - we will never run out of pets!

1. Just one litter and then we'll have Fluffy spayed.
---Studies show that virtually the entire pet overpopulation problem stems from the "just one litter" mentality. There are millions of homeless kittens, puppies, dogs & cats. Itís an overwhelming problem that continues to get bigger one animal at a time. Every 6.5 seconds a dog or cat is killed because they donít have a home Ė thatís an estimated 5,000,000 dogs and cats every year. One litter certainly does makes a difference!

2. We always find "good" homes for the puppies.
---Are your "good" homes going to be equally, or possibly, more irresponsible than you (e.g. not spaying/neutering the dog/cat & letting it outside--thinking of the dog/cat as a disposable pet)? And what about all those puppies/dogs,
kittens/cats) already in shelters waiting for good homes? Every litter born to your pet costs shelter animals their LIVES!

3. I want my children to witness the miracle of birth.
---Are you then going to take your children to the pound to watch those innocent puppies or kittens be killed so they can witness the tragedy of death? Sixty-five percent of animals that end up in shelters in this country are euthanized. Kids should be taught about pet overpopulation & not encouraged to contribute to the problem. There are other ways for parents to explain about the wonders of birth without creating more unwanted animals.

4. My pet is so cute & unique; there should be more of him/her.
---Animal shelters are filled to the brim with cute & unique dogs & cats--most with only a few days left to live.

5. It's not natural.
---There hasn't been anything "natural" about pets since domestication & developing of breeds 1000ís of years ago.

6. I just couldn't look my pet in the eye if I had him castrated.
---Get realÖYou're anthropomorphizing (i.e. giving your dog/cat human feelings).

7. A female dog or cat should have at least one litter for health reasons.
---Actually, even allowing a dog or cat to go into her first heat increases her risk of getting mammary cancer later in life. This argument is indefensible medically and ethically.

8. Spaying or neutering my pet will make him/her fat and lazy.
--- Overfeeding and under-exercising a pet makes him fat & lazy. Animals that have been spayed or neutered do not require as much food, so simply cut back on the amount you are feeding & remember to play with & exercise your pet.

9. Fixing my pet will change his/her personality.
---The main influence on a petís personality is the kindness & care with which it is raised.

10. The Animal Shelter will find them a good home.
---Animal Shelters do their best, but over 5,000,000 animals die every year because a good home could not be found.

11. My pet is a purebred & I want to breed her to make money.
---Even well-known breeders are lucky if they break even on their litters. The cost of raising quality litters -- including stud fees, vaccinations & other health care costs, & feeding a quality food -- consumes most of the "profit". Just because your pet has papers doesnít mean it is a good idea. Do you have a 5-generation pedigree for the animal? Does your pet have a minimum of 8 titles? Did you know that it is estimated that 25 - 30% of animals in shelters are purebreds?

12. It costs too much to have my pet spayed or neutered.
---The cost of spaying or neutering a pet is much less than the costs of even basic care for 1 year. Besides, there are many programs available to help with low-cost or no-cost services. Contact your local Humane Society, look on the internet, or ask around for more info, BUT DO IT NOW!

Bill Nash
09-26-2011, 02:39 AM
#13, .... I could buy 3 cases of beer with that money, ....

I Wonder Why
09-26-2011, 11:33 AM
I would really like to know what this guy is handy at

kitca
09-26-2011, 12:04 PM
its that #6 that is the hardest one to get men to understand!!! i know a guy right now who wont get his male done for that one reason. and there is no talking to him or convincing him. he is a great pet owner otherwise. but we just cant get past that one with him.

Larimar
09-26-2011, 12:10 PM
for #3 a person could also always foster a homeless pregnant dog or cat. Plenty of them going around.

Mimi
09-27-2011, 09:53 AM
I never thought I would be agreeing with him, but I don't think Handyman's post is that far off. I do believe people would rather spend their money on other stuff than spend it on their pets spay job.