PDA

View Full Version : furnaces: when to replace

kitca
09-26-2011, 11:00 AM
our furnace is 20-22 or so years old. our insurance is making us get a maintenance contract or a new furnace. so, i was wondering about the efficiency of the new ones and if it would pay off to get a new one. we have gas forced air and we havent had any problems that i can remember with our furnace, its just not new anymore. i would love to hear some educated thoughts on this. thanks.

italiandomino
09-26-2011, 12:02 PM
our furnace was 28 years old before we had to replace it, i would keep it until it breaks down, but it doesnt hurt to talk to a sales person about costs and efficiency .. our old one was 77% efficient .. our new one is around 93 - 95% ... huge difference .. and saves alot on heating as well. So if you consider the cost and how much more it costs to heat your home, and you can make an educated answer on what is best for you and your family . I have noticed a huge difference in what we saved now then before. so even if your furnace lasts another 6 years .. you could also save alot of money in those 6 years by getting a new one. If you need a name of a good sales person, let me know.

Anapeg
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
25 years old and no contract? Play Russian roulette much? Your furnace NEW was in the vicinity of 75 % efficient. As it ages it's efficiency drops due to wear and tear, soot build up, thinning of metal surfaces etc. Newer models range as high efficiency wise as 95 to 98 % efficient. If you can afford to through 20% or more of your heating dollar out the chimney stay your course, if not replace.

kitca
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
thanks. can they actually break it down for you? like, could ours be tested or something to see how efficent it is? then break down the difference in paying more for heating vs the cost of buying and installing a new one. i would be interested in knowing.....

i kinda go with ntp, that if its not broke dont fix it. but if there is a big diffenece that it would pay for itself over time and we would eventually have to get a new one anyway.... ....

and itaniandomino, i dont know anyone so if you know someone good, sure.

Anapeg
09-26-2011, 12:29 PM
A good REPUTABLE sales person should be able to give you some working numbers as to efficiency. Simple math HEAT for year - $3000.00
Minus 30 % efficiency - $900.00
I have no vested interest here but even assuming your furnace/air conditioner set you back $10,000.00 in 9 to 10 years it has saved you money, saved the environment and so on. You really don't want to wait until it is broken to start shopping for a replacement do you. In that case you are not in the drivers seat, going before it breaks you are in charge.

kitca
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
very good advise anapeg. i know you know your stuff. i guess i didnt/dont understand all the different implications of the efficiency thing. (and its funny because we are very 'green') but the actual furnace isnt something i really considered. i called one place and the person was very nice and helpful. she said that i could get a maintenance contract and when the guy finishes cleaning it he can do an efficiency test and if we buy a new one we will be credited the cost of the maintenance agreement. oh, and just a ballpark average cost would probably be about $4500.

Anapeg
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
$4893 and change is what ours cost but additions and higher efficiency's drive the price up. Our new furnace at 95 % was good enough for the girls I go with. As for being nice, most are on commission so butter will not melt in their mouths. Tread lightly and carry a big stick. Get a minimum of 3 to 5 quotes. Arbitrarily toss the highest and lowest and work with what is left.

crazymamma
09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
ours was 20 years old started cumbustimg to the point that I didn't want to live here until I got a new one. Bought one from supperior bills went from 160 to under 80 in a month...what a difference. We got a Bryant furnace...works great even has a turbo feature on it.

steve
09-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Big thing with a furnace(gas),the vent motor,and the heat exchanger,have someone come in and look at heat exchanger,they develop small cracks through the years and therefore are a source of co.Never mind all the bells and whistles on the new furnaces they drive the cost up all you want is a reliable heat source,when the temperature in the house drops below your set point it comes on and heats it up to 2 degrees past your point.

kitca
09-26-2011, 03:38 PM
yes, we have 2 of them. i have called several places to get quotes and then i will get it cleaned and tested for efficiency and decide whether or not to do it this year.

MagicFingers
09-26-2011, 03:39 PM
You also don't want to really wait till it breaks. Who knows when it will break and say it breaksin Feb its cold and you couldbe without heat for days and days. That happened to us in Feb and we were without heat for 4 days. Had to live in our bedroom with a spaceheater.

MagicFingers
09-26-2011, 04:47 PM
NTP that isn't necessarily true. Needless to say with the old furnace we had to wait 4days for it to be replaced and we didn't have use of the old when during that time. However with thenew furnace and central air we do have service plan and insurance on it last summer something happened to the central air and despite having the insurance we still had to wait 2 days. If everyone is out on calls there will still be a wait for it.

SIMBA
09-26-2011, 06:04 PM
NTP that isn't necessarily true. Needless to say with the old furnace we had to wait 4days for it to be replaced and we didn't have use of the old when during that time. However with thenew furnace and central air we do have service plan and insurance on it last summer something happened to the central air and despite having the insurance we still had to wait 2 days. If everyone is out on calls there will still be a wait for it.

A lot of that depends on your service provider. I had Reliance and had that issue last Winter. I switched to Superior Home Comfort (Reliance's contractor) and got immediate response times. When you call Reliance, your call goes to a call center and then dispatched by a fax. With Superior Home Comfort, it's local.

IMHO
09-26-2011, 08:07 PM
WOW..we have 2 furnaces(2 different heating system) and one of them is 34 years old.I was told 12 years ago that I might get another 2 years out of it. I guess its time !!!!

Super Gram
09-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Our gas furnace is from Hendersons. . The guy comes and checks it out and tells us it's ok. Hendersons furnaces are the best.

cybolynx
09-29-2011, 09:15 AM
dont wait ... i was living in a place that never serviced or checked the furnace .. well for 3 years we were extreamly tired cranky and not thinking straight .. the furnace had a hole in it and was blowing exhaust into the ducting .. and since we were home most of the time we never smelt it .. like you got used to the smell do to being exposed all the time .. the gas company ran up one side of our landlord and down the other ... no carbon detector no maintenance checks ... and told her change it now or she would have a huge fine for non compliance ... and get the most efficient furnace you can get .. just means it uses less gas to convert to heat ..