PDA

View Full Version : Home heating oil from US side?

opinionated
09-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Is there a significant price difference, like there is with gas prices? Would it be worth it to bring some home, and where do you even find it over there?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this....if its worth while.

Anapeg
09-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Years back when I was involved with middle distalites there was a difference but now???

There was a difference in the flash point as the Americans did not switch to a winter grade of fuel. They burn #2 fuel year round. In Northern Ontario home heating oil is swapped out in the late fall for stove oil to avoid a condition called clouding or waxing(trucks). You can overcome this with fuel conditioner or a small dose of gasoline. A lot of times it is advisable to use conditioner even in Canadian grades if your storage tank is outside.
Delivery may pose a problem but if enough where interested I am sure and agent would jump at the chance. The last of anything like that was the coal company in Sault Mich. which supplied Abitibi Paper now St. Mary's with many loads a day of #2 coal back in the 60's. Bringing it over on your own would be a pisser. If it is your primary heat source you must burn at least 600 to 700 litre's per month so traipsing back and forth with 20 litre cans would be pointless and counter productive with the cost of gas for your vehicle and bridge tolls.
I can fully appreciate trying to deflect costs by any manner possible but short of a high efficiency furnace and controlling heat movement in your home you are restricted. to-day you have to look close at any changes to be sure you are not wasting money, kind of like using dollar bills for chinking in a log home.

verotik66
09-27-2011, 10:41 AM
good idea might be worth looking into!

opinionated
09-27-2011, 11:52 AM
I just ask because I'm over there every day anyways - wouldn't hurt bringing back a 5 gallon can once and awhile if it's cheaper. Thing is I don't even know where to look. Not too many gas stations have home heating oil on the pump (like Wardlaw's on the Canada side).

Anapeg
09-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Look for an out laying store as they are more apt to have it. Even may get a small bulk reseller who can help you. Make sure any middle distalites are in a sanctioned yellow container for crossing back and watch where you sit them 'cause that smell will haunt you for some time.

ezcomm911
09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Isn't it the same thing as 'coloured' diesel fuel?

Barry Morris
09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Now, if a guy had dual tanks, and did a little plumbing....

blueboy
09-27-2011, 05:45 PM
The duty will kill you

verotik66
09-28-2011, 12:16 AM
dual tanks and no duty! home heating oil is prtty close to #2 diesel isn't it.

opinionated
09-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Yeah....diesel, dyed (coloured diesel), "heating" oil...all essentially the same makeup and all will work.

ezcomm911
09-29-2011, 02:14 PM
We regularly use colored fuel - we just wait until they start putting 'winter fuel' on the market, bring our 5 gal fuel cans and fill up one a pay (or there abouts). Of course, my oil is mainly for the hot water heater and we only use our furnace as a back up, so we generally only use a tank a year. But I KNOW it's cheaper than having home heating fuel delivered. But...if you have a maintenance agreement with an oil company, you can't do the above. They get all bent out of shape about it! :)