PDA

View Full Version : Cat question (re: pregnancy)

gouligann
09-27-2011, 07:57 AM
We had a young, semi-wild, stray cat show up around our place a while back and she appeared pregnant. We put food out on our deck for her every day and she would sneak up to eat it, and dash off when she saw us. Ends up, she was pregnant and has 4 kittens hidden in our garage. (OMG, they are cute! one looks Siamese)

Long story short, she slowly got used to us and is a sweetheart.

The kittens are about 3 weeks old now and we are wondering if a cat can get pregnant again while still nursing?We want to wait until the kittens are weaned in another couple of weeks, take them to the HS, and then get the mother spayed since we plan on keeping her. Could she already be pregnant again, even if she's still nursing? (please say no LOL)

kitca
09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
when i got my dog peisha this winter she had 10 puppies and there were 4 older puppies with her. the vet did say there is something called a lactating heat and apparently it could be possible (for a dog anyway) but not common. it turns out the older pups were not hers, but at first it was thought they may be.

i dont suppose there is anything you can do anyway if she is pregnant again. lets just hope not!!! im so glad to hear you are keeping the mom.

gouligann
09-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks Kitca, we had a cat years ago and really didn't want another cat, but she has decided that she belongs to us :)

Hmm, So she might, or might not be pregnant. Oh joy! Does anyone know if a vet will spay her, even if she is? I know it sounds cruel, but what we don't need is even more kittens looking for homes.

Mimi
09-27-2011, 08:50 AM
The Vets spay cats that are pregnant. It is not unusual for that to be done.

gouligann
09-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Well, after checking quite a few cat forums and web pages, I guess she very well could be pregnant again :(( They most certainly can get pregnant while still nursing kittens.

I'm going to call the vet's office, and have them advise me what to do.

Larimar
09-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Well, after checking quite a few cat forums and web pages, I guess she very well could be pregnant again :(( They most certainly can get pregnant while still nursing kittens.

I'm going to call the vet's office, and have them advise me what to do.
yuppers not only can they get pregnant while nursing they can get pregnant while pregnant. That's why one litter can have multiple fathers.

TNT
09-27-2011, 06:53 PM
yuppers not only can they get pregnant while nursing they can get pregnant while pregnant. That's why one litter can have multiple fathers.

same goes for the human variety, i know a girl who had twind with 2 diff dads, one premee one overdue. sick :X

Joy.D
09-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Yes a cat can get pregnant while nursing .... Yes a vet can abort the fetuses as long as they are not too far along. i think most vets say 3 weeks max. usually there is additional cost involved.