09-29-2011, 12:51 PM
what an ugly building

As opposed to what’s there now…

ByrdDawg
09-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Wonder who will get the penthouse ?

IMHO
09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Lets hope they have some conos that we can afford.

Craig Huckerby
09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't mind it, but doing the math, it's $1.5 million....

CANVIK
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Penthouses are more than likely already sold. "Financing is already in place".......the little people will be filling in the height of the building for the people fronting the cash to get a better view. Seems to me there is a lot of interest coming from India in this project.

MaO3
09-29-2011, 02:06 PM
I think the building is cool looking and am glad to see something moving FORWARD in this city.

gouligann
09-29-2011, 02:11 PM
I think the building is cool looking and am glad to see something moving FORWARD in this city.

Me too, and if there is a lot of interest from India, then there might be further interest in other industries, which might create more jobs in the Sault. This could really mean good things for the Sault in many ways.

Lance1
09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
If there right about the smaller condo going for $300,000 they may take awhile to fill. This is not souther Ontario, if your younger you can get a larger nicer house with a yard for that without condo fees and elevators to deal with.
How many retire seniors will sell there house to put every penny into a apartment, and thats what a condo is ,a apartment you own.

Craig Huckerby
09-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Condos in the Sault now, go for that much or pretty close.

CANVIK
09-29-2011, 04:30 PM
They plan on selling most of these minimum $300 grand units as vacation homes for the rich overseas. Same clients CN looks to for the majority of sales on the train tours. They have to spend their money somewhere........here sounds good to me:)

Lance1
09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Pretty pricy for apartment style living, Like I said, they say, starting at 300K ,that is the small 1000 square footer facing Queen not the river.

300k still buys a much nicer house in this town.

icemantbi
09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
If they are smart, they should put a restaurant/Bar on the top floor, kind of like they have in the CN tower.

Karen-Annie
09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm glad we'll see some unique architecture in place of decrepit buildings. But what the Soo needs far more than pricey condos is affordable accommodation. So many former apartment buildings that were (just) affordable for so many have been converted to condos out of those same people's price range. And as those apartments disappeared, the remaining ones started raising their rents because of the market and because they could. Can you imagine what would have happened if there were no rent control laws in Ont.? For the record, I'm a home owner but I have great sympathy for people who are desperate for clean, safe and affordable accomodations for them and their families.

Anapeg
09-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Poetic justice at it's finest. A cork screw building on the site of a former brewery? How apropos.

Super Gram
09-29-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm glad we'll see some unique architecture in place of decrepit buildings. But what the Soo needs far more than pricey condos is affordable accommodation. So many former apartment buildings that were (just) affordable for so many have been converted to condos out of those same people's price range. And as those apartments disappeared, the remaining ones started raising their rents because of the market and because they could. Can you imagine what would have happened if there were no rent control laws in Ont.? For the record, I'm a home owner but I have great sympathy for people who are desperate for clean, safe and affordable accomodations for them and their families.

They are not building these condos for people in the Sault. They want them to be get-aways for people in Europe. As the Sault Star said....."we like to get away from the cold...........these people want to get away from the heat

steve
09-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Geared to income.........not mine..........

H.E. Pennypacker
09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
35% in fact is estimated only to be available to locals.

09-29-2011, 07:51 PM
If you don't work hard to make a living, why should others accommodate you? You are basically saying "I didn't get a good paying job, so I want the municipal government to build me something I can afford".

We need more jobs. Development = Jobs. Development = More Development = More Jobs.

If you don't like what you are living in now. Buy something new. If you can't afford it, then meh, get over it or go back to school.

Karen-Annie
09-30-2011, 09:50 AM
If you don't work hard to make a living, why should others accommodate you? You are basically saying "I didn't get a good paying job, so I want the municipal government to build me something I can afford".

We need more jobs. Development = Jobs. Development = More Development = More Jobs.

If you don't like what you are living in now. Buy something new. If you can't afford it, then meh, get over it or go back to school.

First of all, nobody (at least not me) is asking the municipal government to build me something. Second of all, I HAD a really well-paying job, as did BobToe. And while we have decent sized pensions they are covering less and less. Between energy costs for house and vehicle, HST on a LOT more essential stuff despite what David O. and Dalton say, plus inflation.....you get the picture. In talking to friends who are still working in those well-paying jobs, they too are feeling the pinch especially with the cost of post-secondary schooling today.

Every city needs a mix of housing. and while our prices aren't close to TO, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver,etc. ,clean, safe affordable housing is a smaller and smaller chunk of the mix in the Soo.

09-30-2011, 06:05 PM
First of all, nobody (at least not me) is asking the municipal government to build me something. Second of all, I HAD a really well-paying job, as did BobToe. And while we have decent sized pensions they are covering less and less. Between energy costs for house and vehicle, HST on a LOT more essential stuff despite what David O. and Dalton say, plus inflation.....you get the picture. In talking to friends who are still working in those well-paying jobs, they too are feeling the pinch especially with the cost of post-secondary schooling today.

Every city needs a mix of housing. and while our prices aren't close to TO, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver,etc. ,clean, safe affordable housing is a smaller and smaller chunk of the mix in the Soo.

Thanks for the reply. *hugs*.

My comment was for IMHO, when they posted that they should build condo's that everyone can afford. Or the comments on local2.ca that they should build more affordable housing.

Well, In my honest opinion - if you can't afford something you can either save, get a better job, or don't buy it. I don't expect people to build a cheaper version so I can afford it.

Anapeg
09-30-2011, 06:25 PM
I can't locate a bloody thing but was there not some legislation passed some time back regarding geared to income units. It was worded something like any building the governments Federal, Provincial, or Municipal had anything to to with from financing on down had to have a percentage of units for geared to income?

Huggy85
09-30-2011, 08:48 PM
I don't expect people to build a cheaper version so I can afford it.

I like that.

And eventually these expensive places coming to market will ultimately raise the value of my home/investment as it becomes comparatively more affordable..

10-02-2011, 12:37 AM
I can't locate a bloody thing but was there not some legislation passed some time back regarding geared to income units. It was worded something like any building the governments Federal, Provincial, or Municipal had anything to to with from financing on down had to have a percentage of units for geared to income?

These are privately funded condo's. Wouldn't apply anyway.