PDA

View Full Version : A fish question

MagicFingers
10-02-2011, 08:32 PM
So I had to empty my 55 gallon tank today so I could relocate it. Anyways I was emptying the ater and catching the fish and putting them in containers just until i relocate the tank.... SO I have this one shark it is silver with dark speckles and like long whiskers not sure what kind it is. I caught him in the net but then couldn't get him out. Seems his fin got caught through one onf the holes in the net. So it was a long time trying to get him free. I finally had to get the scissors out cut a hole in the net so I could get him free. Problem is that there is still a piece of net stuck on his fin. I didn't want to cut his fin. OH and yeah we got him transfered to another container and I held him while hubby tried to cut more of the net off made sure his head stayed in the water but all of a sudden we heard what sounded like growling. I looked at hubby and he looked at me and we both know it came from teh shark. Never thought they could make noise like that. SO to the fish experts out there. |If the fin gets cut can it heal. Obviously I don't want to purposely cut him but not sure if I can get all the net off. What else should i do?

Larimar
10-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Salt water or fresh?
I would leave it. i don't believe fins grow back. I'd take the chances with it falling off or being pushed out like our skin would do with a shard of glass when stuck in the skin. If you cut the fin and it disables them or prevents them from swimming they are as good as dead. I would Keep them seperated so other fish do not pick at it and so that the net doesn't change the water chemicals and kill the rest of the fish.

MagicFingers
10-02-2011, 09:25 PM
this is a pretty big shark/fish, fresh water. It is now ust a tiny tiny piece as we were able to cut most off without getting to close to the fin. It doesn't appear to bother him and his swimming at all, but was worried that if he grows much more that it would just get tighter and then hurt his fin more. the other fish I have wouldn't bother him he is much bigger than the rest and the tiny pieceof net isn't impeding him.

Larimar
10-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Are there signs of stresS? If not I wouldn't worry too much then. If I were you I'd surf out a salt water msg board where experts are in abundance. I always found it helpful for my fresh water fish problems when I went to communities who had solutions and ideas to it as it was their kinda prof hobby..experts i guess lol.

MagicFingers
10-03-2011, 08:09 AM
other than growling at us, which surprised us it doesn't appear to be stressed.

kattty
10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
If it's just a peice of net caught in the barb...are you sure it's not some type of cat-fish?

Either way, I've had fish..that I've accidently netted instead of grabbing with other things..get peices of net stuck on them.I've cut around it and the fish is fine.
As long as the majority of the net, as you mentioned..it's a very small peice..I wouldn't worry about it:)

It happens to all of us lol..and like the others mentioned..keep an eye out for possible injuries, from either other fish or it getting caught up on something.:)

MagicFingers
10-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I looked it up and it looks like a columbian shark which upon further reading says it is a relative to a type of cat fish so I guess we are both right.

kattty
10-03-2011, 03:34 PM
beautiful fish...hope all goes well:)

HDV
10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Just to let you know, fins do grow back if they do get cut. We rescued a fish from a friend who had other fishes eating him. He was being bullied and another fish was biting him and pieces of his fins were eaten off and he has grown back all of his tail and the fin that was eaten off. And it took about a month for it all to grow back.
Im not saying cut the sharks fin, but you asked if they grow back. I dont know if ALL fish grow back their fins but this one did :)

Larimar
10-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I think you may be right. It seems that only really badly damaged ones won't. I wouldn't suggest cutting either regardless, as that sounds rather painful?