PDA

View Full Version : dogs eating grass

kitca
10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
i know that dogs and cats need to eat grass, but lately i think my dogs are cows! have you noticed your dogs eating more grass than usual? some others i have run into have noticed the same thing. i wonder if they know winter is coming and they need to stock up on their greens?

Larimar
10-03-2011, 09:58 PM
i know that dogs and cats need to eat grass, but lately i think my dogs are cows! have you noticed your dogs eating more grass than usual? some others i have run into have noticed the same thing. i wonder if they know winter is coming and they need to stock up on their greens?

I think it's normal but can be a sign that the dog lacks nutrition. Check your food bags ingredients and if the first ingrediant is not meat (corn or something similar) I would recommend gradually changing over to a brand that puts meat as th etopd ingrediant-whatever is listed first is majority of the nutrition and dogs need the meat as the most to be healthy. The vege foods are more like what fast foods are to us-junk food. I'm not sure if that will be the prob and solution but switching usually saves people vet bills in the long run.

shy1
10-04-2011, 07:17 AM
my 2 pups sit there and eat grass all day and my older dog eats it only when she has an upset stomach, the pups are on taste of the wild which is suppose to be a high quality food,

kitca
10-04-2011, 09:15 AM
nope, its just the last week or so they have been eating more than usual.

they arent on high quality food,but they are staying right where they are. we tried so many - and yes, the good organic grain free - we tried several, but they had such bad runs, nope, they both like the stuff theyre on now, they have nice small firm poop, they dont fart, theyre healthy. (and yes, tryng different ones it had to be slow and ease them into it and i know how to switch foods, but to no avail, runs!)

TNT
10-04-2011, 10:23 AM
mine "graze" all day also. always have. They are in immaculate health they just like to eat grass?? lol maybe it tastes better this time of year kitca? haha

Larimar
10-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Oh just to clarify I definitely wasn't suggesting organic foods.Just to read ingredients on even the normal brands. Some have chicken first and then grains and others start with grains and end with chicken. Just wante dto clarify I didn't mean in any way organic ^_^

But I agree, grass eating is normal. When it's abnormal for a person's dogs- (bc we all know our own dog's behaviour best-) then look into nutrition, boredom, stomach upsets etc.

A*lil*Loopy
10-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I've noticed my little cows too. Could be that the cooler weather has caused it to taste sweeter.....like it does for apples?
I didn't think much of it until I noticed this thread, and yes, there seems to be an increase.

kitca
10-05-2011, 05:16 PM
hmmm, just looking outside, maybe they are embarrassed because we havent mowed the grass in a month or so and are trying to keep it down for us, lol.