PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know??

KelBear
08-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Anyone know how much they charge to get a cat out of the human society, I think that my cat might be there.. He got out before the weekend and didn't come home.. I looked on the "stray" list and it looks like he may be there. He is neutered... Just want to be prepared for the cost. thanks

GRUMPY
08-13-2007, 10:40 AM
use the phone and call them

kitca
08-13-2007, 10:49 AM
i think 16 if they are fixed, 150 if not

KelBear
ya.. I would.. but they aren't open.. thanks for your input.. I will when they are.. I just thought someone might know.

KelBear
Is that per day Kitca??

kitca
08-13-2007, 10:54 AM
oh gee, i dont know, 16 per day, maybe? best to give them a call, i think they open around 11 or 12. hey kel, when do you leave?

tippikitty
08-13-2007, 11:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kitca</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 150 if not </div></div>

OMG are you kidding me??? No wonder there are so many unaltered stray cats that get put up for adoption.
Obviously if the person doesn't have the money to fix their cat they sure don't have that kind of money to get it out of jail.

Wow it doesn't even cost that much to fix a cat. I don't get it.

KelBear
08-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Well I called.. and it's $57 for the first day and $7 for everyday there after, and if the cat isn't fixed it's $150 for the first day. Now I know why cats are abandoned at the shelter.

tippikitty
08-13-2007, 01:38 PM
No kidding! That's bad! I wonder why they charge so much.

magic mushroom
08-13-2007, 01:54 PM
is he out on the adoption floor or still in the stray room?

KelBear
08-13-2007, 09:43 PM
He is at home now.. but he was in the stray room

kitca
08-13-2007, 10:50 PM
wow, 57 for a cat? i wonder why so much? i understand why they want folks to spay and neuter and why the cost for an unaltered pet is so high.

Babzz
08-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Good question? What do they do if you do not have the cash to pick him up??

tippikitty
08-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Kill them!

kitca
08-14-2007, 11:52 AM
i can understand high prices for non altered pets. you dont want that pet out there making dozens of babies that will either keep reproducing or end up at the shelter and need to be killed. it is horrible how many innocent dogs,cats,puppies,kittens are killed just because there isnt enough homes for them. i think at the shelter you get half your money back if you get them altered within 30 days. it is all sad no matter what, any pet having to be killed just because there is no room or no home for it to go to. however, i would rather see it being killed humanely than living in cruel, neglectful horrible conditions, or breeding and breeding and furthering the overpopulation problem.

KelBear
08-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Well my boy let the cat out by accident today.. hope he comes home.. can't afford to get him out of jail again... not at that price..

Babzz
08-16-2007, 11:31 PM
/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

KelBear
08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
He came home.. . THANK GOD!!! Man it is so hard keeping him in...

GoldDogs
08-21-2007, 01:37 PM
If you can't afford a pet and the responsibilities that come with it, don't get one. If there is no intention of breeding Spay and Neuter your pet. I agree with the higher charges. It will encourage pet owners to have their pet fixed. I hate when people say they can't afford it to have them fixed. If you can't afford that, how can your afford the vet bills the food... the toys?! If you love your pet enough you'll come up with the money. It works almost the same way it does with kids.

EyelashExtensions
08-21-2007, 05:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yorkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can't afford a pet and the responsibilities that come with it, don't get one. If there is no intention of breeding Spay and Neuter your pet. I agree with the higher charges. It will encourage pet owners to have their pet fixed. I hate when people say they can't afford it to have them fixed. If you can't afford that, how can your afford the vet bills the food... the toys?! If you love your pet enough you'll come up with the money. It works almost the same way it does with kids. </div></div>

If someone has no intention of spay/neuter their pet they sure as heck aren't going to pay $150 to get it out. Isn't it less expensive to adopt? How that makes sense I don't know. If only we lived in a perfect world. Families with teens and children running in and out, cats/dogs trying to escape to the great outdoors, accidents happen but it shouldn't cost $150 especially with a humane society that euthanasias animals. JMO

kitca
08-21-2007, 05:58 PM
lizzardskills, this is just my opinion, but i think they would rather euthanize that one cat or dog that is unaltered than let the people take it back again to reproduce and have to euthanize dozens of kittens. i know, the irresponsible people will just let that one go and get another one from the free pages.

i had a really frustrating time with one of my dogs, she was a stray and far too ill to be spayed at first. somehow she broke off her chain and got away and we had that 150. (which is wierd for her because she does NOT like to stay outside, allways wants to be inside) bill to get her back. i was quite upset because i thot there were important circumstances for her not being spayed at the time.

i dont know the answer for pet overpopulation, but it really is a crisis. (yes, the answer being for every animal to be altered) but how to enforce it?

EyelashExtensions
08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
I completely agree kitca except the whole $150 fee. I would think they would work with people to get the animals fixed instead of charging them $150 outright that just sounds ridiculous to me. Their methods of enforcing and programs just aren't working the way they should be. It just doesn't make sense to charge so much when you can adopt for cheaper. Someone could wait a few days and go in and get their animal back for less.

tippikitty
08-21-2007, 11:48 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lizzardskills</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Someone could wait a few days and go in and get their animal back for less. </div></div>

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I realize that there has to be a line drawn somewhere but wish that has to be a better way.

hp2
08-22-2007, 08:04 AM
I dunno to me!! accidents happen, and our city charges arm and leg for things!! even to adopt a dog is rediculous!!! but yet you here things all the time of why it should be the way it is, they had a ferret up there thats still up on the website, NOW, I can see cat and dog getting lost but a ferret!!! MY FERRETS are out of the cage most of the time, if they go outside they go on a leesh or in my arms, when I called about this little guy she told me he returned home cause he had gotton out!! and crawled up someones legs!! I DO NOT understand, IF amego and molly are out there harness are checked all the time!! I dont know what they charge for a ferret, but 99% of them are spayed or neutered and the chances around here of getting one prego again are slim

MagicFingers
08-22-2007, 10:27 AM
I agree with you Lizzard! Adoption fees $30.00 adoption fee + spay/neuter deposit of $40.00 on Male Kittens. And if you go across the river it is way cheap to get your animal fixed. looks like to me it is cheaper then bailing your animal out of jail.

orchid
08-22-2007, 06:22 PM
the humane society's service fee's have gone up so drastically because there are too many negligent pet owners running loose in this city. it is ones own choice not to have their pet spayed/neutered therefore it's ones own choice to pay higher service fees... would you rather your beloved pet wander the streets and have to deal with traffic, predators and psychos? do your best to keep them in the house, use a tie out and supervise outdoor activities, and make sure everyone in the house is aware of the animals location when going in and out. if your pet does go missing do what i did....call and file a report ASAP.

orchid
08-22-2007, 06:24 PM
it doesn't work that way.