PDA

View Full Version : Ferrel Cats

Craig Huckerby
10-16-2011, 10:35 AM
I watched a documentary on Global last night on the huge problem of Ferrel cats in a city of Toronto and other cities across Canada - man what an endless problem. Makes me appreciate the Animal Assistance Group locally even more. The doc told stories of how people just drop their cats off on the side of the road and take off, or abandon them on the front step when the family moves away leaving the cats to defend for themselves. What a sad story and we only have ourselves to blame. Calgary does it right though, the animal license fees goes directly to a spay and neuter clinic there to help the problem of over population in that city and it's working!!

TNT
10-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Sad eh, ive seen those programs too. unbelievable how they adapt to survive like wild cats. The winters are sooo cold.

kitca
10-16-2011, 12:56 PM
yes, it is so sad to think that people feel they are disposable! they are domesticated and it is so hard for them. and thank you for appreciating taag even more. they work so hard. cheryl has been out so many times all hours of the night trapping scared stray cats and giving them the 2nd chance they so deserve. and to see those scared cats blossom and trust and become loving and happy... ...

there is a community of ferals behind home depot and a lady who lives behind there does alot also to help. sometimes i think she just spays/neuters and releases them back if they are too feral to be adopted, but she will also fix them and work to get them adopted.

magic mushroom
10-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Excellent program.
i wish all the irresponsible pet owners would watch and get educated about neutering their cats. it would make a world of difference.

Bill Nash
10-17-2011, 08:30 AM
My wife took in a ferrel cat a few years ago. We live in the middle of no where, and couldn't figure out how this cat got into our yard. It was living under our shed in the winter, and would eat scraps from our compost pile and all the mice and moles it could find, .... but it wouldn't leave. Finally one winter, my wife started feeding it table scraps at our back door, and it became tame enough that it let her started to let her pet it. She was able to coax it into the house to eat, but it always wanted back outside immediately. She looked after it for about three months, but I think because it got friendly with her, it let its guard down and the coyotes got it, ....

kitca
10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
because you were/are in the middle of nowhere maybe someone dumped the cat. people do that, just throw them out the window in country areas. that was nice of your wife. the coyotes are getting lots of cats.

SooPets
10-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Toronto has a very organized approach and are tracking the colonies to help manage them. It's just great information on solutions:
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1069871--controlling-the-cat-colonies

Bill Nash
10-18-2011, 12:49 AM
because you were/are in the middle of nowhere maybe someone dumped the cat. people do that, just throw them out the window in country areas. that was nice of your wife. the coyotes are getting lots of cats.

Hey, .... it was nice of me too, .... I own half the house you know, ......;)