PDA

View Full Version : $438+tax to put a cat to sleep!

Lance1
10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
:omg:

My Girlfriend called here vet to put here very sick cat down and because she had not been there in the last 6 month they gave her the first time "stranger rate".

I guess its across the river or maybe the drop box at the Humane society be for paying that.

icecapp
10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I am under the impression that if you call the local humane society and explain to them the situation, they may put it to sleep for her, I would call and find out..

I worked in a vets office yrs ago, and thats seems very crazy to me, although the price of things have changed......

Please just do not drop it off at the shelter, I would call first see what they say about uthinization(sp) first..

438 dollars for litterly 5 dollars maybe in supplys, 20 in the drug possible.. and 2 mins of there time is unbelievable.

zoo crew
10-18-2011, 05:35 PM
I don't know which vet you deal with but last time I had to go through this I believe it was in the $150 dollar range. As icecapp said maybe try the Humane Society and see if there able to help you out. I wish you the best.

kitca
10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
call across the river and check out their prices.

A*lil*Loopy
10-18-2011, 07:12 PM
That must be a huge cat because most times they need to know the weight so they can calculate the amount they need to do the job.
That's about how much it cost to have my large dog put down and sent away for cremation. What about the cost of treating the sick cat instead of putting it down?

PrairieDog43
10-19-2011, 03:14 PM
I gotta agree with kitca. You won't be sorry for dealing with the vets across the river. For $438 on this side, they must have provided a jar of vaseline to lube up your ass and you will need it. For over there, I put my dog down and cremated her and I got the ashes back for $150.

On this side, they are all about $$$. They screw with your wallet right off the bat, and it will continue until after your pet dies. Too much !!

A*lil*Loopy
10-19-2011, 03:44 PM
I neglected to say that Harry was 120 lbs and his vet was Canadian. It cost me less than $500 for euthanasia and cremation.
I would think that since this vet is her vet and her cat has been there on a regular basis, that they hold the records so the "stranger rate" would not apply. 6 months is not usually a problem for not seeing the vet. (or did I misunderstand?)
Sounds like something is amiss, or maybe you've got the vet that everyone complains about. If you would be so kind, I would love to receive a message as to who this vet is.

Dragonfly
10-19-2011, 04:38 PM
they must have provided a jar of vaseline to lube up your ass and you will need it.

bahahaha this is the best yet to describe these vets.

everywoman
10-22-2011, 10:46 PM
I don't understand the 6 month part. Most pets only go to the vet once, maybe twice a yr. You're being penalized for that?? Anyhoo, I hope the situation gets resolved for much less money. I'm sorry about the kitty :(

dOg LoVeR
10-26-2011, 12:39 AM
Sad for your girlfriend losing her kitty. :(

I had my 120 lb furbaby euthanized, cremated & brought his ashes home to be with us. Our cost was half that at a vet across the river. They were very nice. They allowed me all the time I needed with my boy both before and after & offered comforting words to both of us during. Their efforts in making a difficult a little easier were much appreciated. Their caring was worth double, but our cost was half.

MagicFingers
10-28-2011, 09:05 AM
We paid 265$ across the river for our cat and that was also to cremate and a container for her remains. I know on our side it is much more expensive.

kitca
10-28-2011, 10:00 AM
oh gosh, at our vet across it took us an hour almost, the crying and all that. they were fantastic, gave us kleenex, hugs, even sent a sympathy card. i cant remember the price, but it was well under $100, i think it was even under $50. but we are regular customers. when my friend wanted to get her cat put to sleep there and they had never seen it they said they would need to see the cat first, that they wouldnt just put a healthy cat to sleep.