PDA

View Full Version : Old Fishing Story

hobo
11-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Found this article in an old (1886) forest and stream book on the internet. Page 168- large trout article. http://books.google.ca/books?id=ifshAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA168&lpg=PA168&dq=green+worms+sault&source=bl&ots=TvzBYZCxJp&sig=EaSEhy-7Oz_X_rweHail9kdGQ7E&hl=en&ei=M1y4Tt72Bqri0QHIssHSBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

I am nor sure if the Sault Ste Mary referred to in this article is Sault Ste Marie but it's probable. If it is it has to be one of the earlirest sport fishing stories for the Sault on record - sort of.

Editor Forest and Stream:

Mr. Green, of the city of New York, caught at Sault Ste. Mary, on the 20th day of June, 1845, a speckled trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) that weighed on a pair of balances, used in a store, just twelve pounds. It caused considerable excitement at the time. Old resident fishermen of the Sault declared that it weighed a little over two pounds more than the largest that ever before was caught to their knowledge. This was the only fish Green caught that day. He started back to New York with his monster. I was with him when he caught the trout. It was taken near the Canada shore just at the foot of the falls, in a whirlpool caused by the obstruction of a large rock.

As this all happened over forty years ago, I cannot at this day give you Mr. Green's initials or address. I did not know him very well; we were guests in a tavern kept by a Mr. Fowler and there was no register kept at his house. At Mr. Green's request, I accompanied him in an Indian bark canoe. We paddled as near the falls as possible, where he made numerous casts which were unsuccessful. We then landed on the Canada side; he opened his book of flies, which 1 viewed with pleasure, as it was the first fly-book I had ever seen. He selected a fly of medium grade, I think he called it a "drake," and took bis position on a projecting rock which stood at a point where the water was boiling and whirling over a sunken rock, which slightly projected above the angry falls. I had left him and gone a short distance into the woods in search of flowers when I beard him shouting for me to come and assist him, as he had hooked a whale. When I came in sight of him bis rod was bent into an irregular ellipse, the line, about twenty feet long, was stretched out to its full extent. Of course, I gave him much unasked advice, how to keep away from the rocks, how to work his fish as far down stream as possible, etc. Finally I got into the canoe and went to his assistance. After

keeping up a steady strain on the line, the fish began to show signs of weariness from its great efforts. I had a landing net ready, and as soon as the fish approached the boat, I slipped it under him, and came near going into the water instead of taking the fish out. The battle occupied fully fifteen minutes at least, although it seemed to be much longer, and Mr. Greene was in a violent perspiration. After the capture he took the evening boat for Buffalo, which in those days occupied much time on tbe trip, and as there was no ice at the Sault, I had fears that the trout would not reach New York in good condition.