PDA

View Full Version : BioShock

Boondock
08-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Anyone try out the demo? I've played through it 3 times now and its freakin amazing. The graphics are just awesome and it has more atmosphere to it then anything I've played to date. I was going to just download it for PC but it was great on the 360 with the 52" HDTV and sofa with the lights out so I'll be buying it day 1 if I can find a copy. Never been so pumped for a game.

mercifulpenguin
08-13-2007, 11:43 PM
downloading demo, looking forward to it
i have like 72 in credit at blockbuster, was thinking about using it for this game

B.David
08-14-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm downloading the demo at the moment, figured I'd try it out even though I don't know anything about the game and haven't seen a single screen shot.

On the topic of demos, anyone try Eternal Sonata? If you like RPG's, and can afford a new 360 game...try the demo out. Awesome!

Stranglehold is good too, but only a rental I'd say.

mercifulpenguin
08-14-2007, 12:18 AM
ya definitely gonna rent Stranglehold for a play thru
i tried Blue Dragon demo, and couldnt get into it, only because I've lost my interest in RPGs. I dunno, FF7 was and maybe still is one of my favourite games, I just can't invest the time into them, tho they still are the greatest at story telling

Boondock
08-14-2007, 02:09 AM
Yeah Eternal Sonata was pretty good. I really digged the battle system and art direction. I'm prolly gonna pick the game up second hand or something.

I can't believe you've never heard of Bioshock. It's basically the successor to System Shock 2 which is still held as one of the greatest FPS of all time. Other then crysis (which I won't include because it used DX10) it's pretty much the best looking game we've seen. One could argue gears looked a little better, but seeing how they are both built on the UE3 engine the art direction and attention to detail makes this game #1 in my book.

And who woulda thought it's fun as hell too! Remember in the full game there will be alot more freeroaming and it won't be as linear as the demo was. With 70 Plasmids the recipe for destruction in this game is going to be endless and I doubt that any 2 players are going to experience this game the same way.

All the reviews out so far have given it 9/10 and some 10/10 I think were looking at "Game of The Year" unless Mass Effect and Halo 3 live up to the hype, cause this game sure as hell delivered.

B.David
08-14-2007, 02:29 AM
I didn't say I've never heard of BioShock. Tons of people have been talking about it for months, I just never got into the conversations.

Anyway, I just finished the demo... graphics are top-notch, very impressive, gameplay seems solid, smooth controls, and stunning sound. Overall, it's a great demo. As for the final game, it's not a game I'd ever buy, but I'll give it a rental from work to get a few achievement points.

Madmax
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Played this game demo and have to agree with Apple it is not a game i would buy, but i maybe rent it to play for some points is all.

Ultra54
08-17-2007, 10:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the really bewildering thing about it: it succeeds so stunningly on three different fronts. Not esoteric ones, either, these are the big challenges developers have been struggling to master for decades: narrative, emergence, a sense of place. If another game did just one of these as well as BioShock, it would immediately qualify as a classic. When a game comes along that does all three, we can only be baffled and thankful. </div></div>

B.David
08-17-2007, 11:14 AM
You realize there's already a thread discussing BioShock, correct? Great game, but not really the type I enjoy...wasn't thrilled with the demo.

Madmax
08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Yes i saw that too Apple.

B.David
08-17-2007, 01:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes i saw that too Apple.</div></div>

Quit replying with pointless lines just to up your post count.

AmdWolfman
08-17-2007, 02:09 PM
s saw some screenshots of the game and it looks like to my liking, hopefully.

Madmax
08-17-2007, 04:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apple</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes i saw that too Apple.</div></div>

Quit replying with pointless lines just to up your post count.</div></div>

Well ok how about this one, take your own advice for once as no one else cares about it, expecially me.

mercifulpenguin
08-17-2007, 04:27 PM
i was just gonna rent, but now i'm undecided
to rent or to buy...

Madmax
08-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Me too as i played it again and i seem to like it a little more the second time round, maybe i may buy it, but want to see more extensive people reviews before i do.

Iverson3k
08-17-2007, 05:02 PM
its getting almost perfect on reviews. IGN gave it 9.6 on 360

Iverson3k
08-17-2007, 05:05 PM
and 1 up gave it perfect.

Madmax
08-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I just did not like the "swinging pipe wrench" as it reminded me of to many other games, like HL and HL2 and a few others. I like the Bio Shock though it is cool, but reminds me of HL2 and a few other games as well, not original ideas.

AmdWolfman
08-17-2007, 10:28 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/amdwolfman64/shock.jpg

Ultra54
08-17-2007, 10:41 PM
link that screen please.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A dark and astonishing masterpiece...I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. BioShock has five. </div></div>

AmdWolfman
08-17-2007, 10:50 PM
http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/enter.html

AmdWolfman
08-19-2007, 01:21 PM
I here Bioshock will be released on the 360

mercifulpenguin
08-19-2007, 02:05 PM
this is true
august 21st
pc and 360

LoaDeR
08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Just played the PC demo...great game! ...awesome graphics...ran smooth on my system. Will be buying this one.

mboy67
08-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I have been kicking around which to buy so far the PC rates higher in my book them the 360. Plus the PC version is usually less to buy.

mercifulpenguin
08-20-2007, 08:55 PM
if i had a pc that would run it smoothly i'd get that
i have trade in credits at blockbuster i might use towards getting it new
it's either this or South Park season 10 and something else, maybe Dexter season 1

B.David
08-20-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm about 2 hours into the game now and it's definitely fun, and it's challenging (depending what difficulty you choose). Gotten 7 achievements so far, and really enjoying the game... still, not a game I could justify paying full price for.

edit: 4 hours in now, the game seems to have much more depth than I thought. If I can't beat it in the 5 day rental period, I might end up buying it, or rent it again since it's free. It's misleading to call this a shooter, as it's more of a survival-horror/shooter/RPG with all the upgrades, power-ups, and moments that scare the [censored] out of you.

Edit 2: 6 hours... hard game to stop playing! I'm done for the night now though, overall, love this game, and if I can afford it on payday, I'll definitely pick it up. Looks like I was wrong after my 1st impressions... you really just need to give it a chance and see what it's really all about.

AmdWolfman
08-21-2007, 03:05 PM
cool

Killswitch
08-22-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm trying to play the Demo under Vista but it keeps freezing. I have the newly released ATi Beta drivers for the game and I updated DX. No go. It's a sad deal too because it looks so amazing in Vista with Dx10. I'd like to get it running for at least more then 5 to 10 minutes lol.

Boondock
08-22-2007, 01:50 AM
The demo is crashing on me right after I enter Rapture. Only way to get around it is to turn off advanced shaders or something like that, but it makes the game look like crap and I was getting solid framerates with it on. Hope a patch is gonna be released soon for the full game or mabye it's just a demo problem.

Also I hear the pirates are having a terrible time trying to crack the activation process in this game. I guess the activation locks it to your computer even through Steam, But I'm sure they'll get it eventually.

mboy67
08-22-2007, 12:17 PM
I have played it on both my PC and 360 with no trouble. the Graphics look way better on the PC and I prefer the Keyboard and mouse to the controller for this game. Guess which I'm buying lol.

Boondock
08-22-2007, 03:50 PM
I think they did a great job optimizing the game for PC...It runs as well as it looks. Just a damn shame they didn't include an AA option or widescreen support.

Killswitch
08-22-2007, 05:21 PM
There are wide screen resolutions to choose from. At least four I think.

Boondock
08-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Oh I heard they were gimped and not true widescreen or something and makin people feel dizzy

Killswitch
08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Well I got it running under XP. Graphics still look great. The demo wasn't very long but it's a good teaser. The video at the end shows allot of cool stuff that you can do through out the game. The theme is a bit strange but it's allot different from any other game I've seen which makes it stand out, even if you do start out with a monkey wrench.

Boondock
08-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Ahh I can't wait anymore for the game to get cracked I might just go hitup EB or something tomorrow before hempfest and buy the damned thing for 360. I tried the demo on both and had to say I enjoyed the couch and HDTV more.

Ultra54
08-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Bought it today and just finished installing it. I can't wait. It was all I could think about during my holidays. I played through System Shock and loved that so I know I will ove this more.

LoaDeR
08-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Just bought the PC version through Steam and my son and I are having a blast with it... fantastic game ! ...been a long time since a game has held my interest like this one. I also have played System Shock and System Shock 2 and loved them both.

Ultra54
08-24-2007, 11:17 PM
I love the atmosphere and the sound of the flying bots. They sound like a 250 2 stroke motocross bike.

mboy67
08-24-2007, 11:23 PM
I have not picked up a copy yet but i plan on getting one soon.

Ultra54
08-24-2007, 11:52 PM
look on widescreen gaming forum fo rthe widescreen fix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CG0U-ETo40)

Madmax
08-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Soon i may pickup BioShock for Xbox 360

tired-n-cranky
08-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Hope you guys all like having rootkits installed on your PCs. Even the wonderful demo includes a rootkit which attaches itself to your explore.exe file.... so enjoy the latest from Sony's Securerom.....

Madmax
08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Glad i game on a console instead of a PC now and i was considering beefing up a new PC rig to great standards at a high price of 1500.00 or more, but for what? to only play 3-4 games that are usually out on the consoles.

PC gaming is dying the more people that get used to that the better it will be as it will save people hundreds if not thousands of dollars in PC upgrading.

Although i am a PC gamer or was for many years and still like to play the odd old game on the PC. I forbid myself to spend up to at least 2000.00 on a PC ever again to play games i can play on consoles at my convenience.

Soon i will get another Console and Mod it to play almost any game (For Free) i wish to do so for it and the ones i like i will buy or rent when the time is needed.

No more buggy OS'es or drivers, no more of buying a video card every 6 months to a year for the latest and greatest, no more downloading buggy PC games to play for FREE.

Ultra54
08-27-2007, 08:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beyond choosing your weaponry and upgrades, one of the biggest choices of all comes each time you face up to a Big Daddy. Once this huge, underwater suit-clad giant has been defeated, you're left with a defenceless, scared Little Sister to deal with. Little Sisters are valuable because they contain a concentration of 'Adam' - In essence, they are the source of points which you can spend on Plasmid upgrades and the like. But, at this point you are left with two options - Harvest the Little Sister for the maximum amount of Eve, or rescue her, turning her back into a normal little girl, but receiving far less Adam in the process. The choice you make at this juncture will change certain elements of the game quite heavily, while also potentially adding replay value - Play the game through once as a nice guy and rescue all the girls, then again as the self-centred type who will happily harvest them all for Adam aplenty.

</div></div>

Ultra54
08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
The AI in this game is terrific, the best of any game yet. I tried to escape a big daddy by running and hiding and that s.o.b. would not give up until he found me. I get shivers when that thing starts chasing me. I also love the way when you scorch an enemey they will dive in the water to douse the flames.
I'm playing through as a bad guy, harvesting every little sister I can get my hands on.

Madmax
08-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Yes and on the Xbox 360 it is a wonderous game as well just as comparable if not better game play then a OLD PC that is lagging in times and ability to move so gracefully without any hipcups.

Ultra54
08-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Bioshock's little sisters: rescue or harvest? (http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/08/30/little-sisters-save-or-harvest-we-break-down-the-best-approach-for-adam)

\m/ Rich \m/
09-04-2007, 09:14 PM
i just installed this game and i freakin love it, so far the sppokiest game ive played in a long time.

I even tried the "Tallscreen" gaming thing to see how it is... while i like not having to look up and down so much, i really miss the peripheral side to side i get with my monitor.

i took a screen at 1050x1680... too big to post, so here's the link
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7061/bioshocktallfb6.th.jpg (http://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bioshocktallfb6.jpg)

It's kinda weird and silly having to flip your monitor on its side though.

Ultra54
09-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Ahh I remember that part. This game is the best yet man.Have you got to the part where you find the camera?

\m/ Rich \m/
09-05-2007, 04:25 PM
not yet, but i imagine soon... i shoulda played more on my 4 days off... now its work work work!

mboy67
09-05-2007, 07:17 PM
I installed my copy and that as far as I got lol been too busy to play. lol

Ultra54
09-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Funny review (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/103130.html?playlist=featured)

mboy67
09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
lol

Chako
09-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Lol. Now that is the best review I have ever watched.

I beat the game in the good mode, and almost beat it in the bad mode.

I ended up buying the fancy version of Bioshock and ended up with a Big Daddy figurine. I even took photos of him in the photography section.

Big Daddy. (http://www.soonet.ca/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=431358&page=1#Post431358)

Madmax
09-07-2007, 04:36 PM
This is a awesome game, but it reminds of a few others that were made already.