PDA

View Full Version : Kittens shots -Can they cause pain after?

Larimar
11-19-2011, 11:45 AM
My kitten just went to the vet yesterday for two shots and ever since this time she won't let us pick her up. She cries as though in a lot of pain. She once loved to play with the other cat and now just cries in pain when touched. I don't understand if something could go wrong? Or if needles can cause bruising and tenderness for her that much??

thank you

magic mushroom
11-19-2011, 12:09 PM
which shots were they?
i know mine don't feel too great after getting theirs, i usually keep them separated from the rest and let them recupe in peace.

magic mushroom
11-19-2011, 12:11 PM
here's some info to help.
http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/vaccine-side-effects.html

Larimar
11-19-2011, 02:29 PM
I can't find where my bf put the papers we have ..maybe that would tell me what they were..but I'm pretty sure one was a rabies the other was a booster of some sort.

magic mushroom
11-19-2011, 02:54 PM
i was trying to remember which shot was really bad on the cats, i only got it once (because my cats are indoor cats) it was either the rabies or leukemia one that was brutal on them, after the 1st time i refused to give them it anymore. the vet said as long as they were indoor they didn't need it.

Larimar
11-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks. I'm going to make sure they know both cats are indoors-though we take them on leashed walks-so unsure if that would have an effect on needing it.

magic mushroom
11-21-2011, 10:03 AM
How's your kitty feeling?

Larimar
11-21-2011, 12:30 PM
She's much better :)

I found it was her Leukemia shot. Costly too!

magic mushroom
11-21-2011, 12:48 PM
yes, i am pretty sure the leukemia shot is the one i won't get for my cats anymore.

glad to hear. :smile:

Larimar
11-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Is that one done once a year?

magic mushroom
11-21-2011, 02:22 PM
i think they recommend all the shots once a year.
FVRCP, Rabies, Leukemia.
I only do the FVRCP and rabies once every 3 years now. (i checked the receipts and the leukemia shot hasn't been on them since my guys were kittens) I think it is up to the owner to decide if they should get shots every year or not. The past couple of years there has been some controversy about indoor cats needing the vaccines every year as well there are some vets that say it isn't good for them.

For kittens though they should and need to get all their shots for the 1st year. (boosters i think are a couple of months apart, just like babies, trying to remember 1st shots and 2 boosters or 1 booster, will dig for the receipts when they were kittens and let you know).

Super Gram
11-22-2011, 04:47 PM
My 12 yr old Cairn Terrier died from his yearly shots. It affected his heart. I talked to his breeder and they only get their dogs done every 2 yrs if not showing.Then talking to a breeder of Collies and after 8 yrs old no shots unless showing. These shots add up over the yrs. So now I have a cat and when it was time for her second set of shots..I waited 6 months before getting it.She is an indoor cat......but my daughter's Siamese is an out door cat on a leash. In the summer they take her out to camp. So I would say yearly shots for her.

Larimar
11-23-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your Cairn Terrier-Cute little dogs. They remind me of Scottish Terriers almost.

Joy.D
11-26-2011, 03:04 PM
How are your kitties feeling? Have they bouced back to their normal selves?

Larimar
11-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Thank you. :) They had a little problem, but everything is right on track now :)