PDA

View Full Version : Why are Cats allowed to run Free?

4caster
11-20-2011, 11:23 AM
It burns me is that Cats can run wild without any repercussions. Dogs, I can see the need to be restrained when outside...It's a sign of a responsible owner. Why is it that when I am looking at my bird feeder and see black cat take a chickadee out it really starts to burn me.

Well...I have decided to meter out some justice. I have purchased a live trap and I am going to use it to remove Cats from my area and drop them off at the Human Society. Cat owners will now have to start to pay to have their animals running free. The way I see it is clear...Restain them or keep them inside or be prepared to start paying to have them back...

Larimar
11-20-2011, 12:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/emoticons1/10.jpg

It is the "norm" and it's difficult to get people to change the was they were brought up to think.
It is dangerous for birds (species at risk) and the declining populations.
It is dangerous for cats:Accidents , attacks from wild animals, and disease (brought on by eating birds).
It is annoying for those with bird houses, bird nests, and anyone with children who own a sand box.
All cats should be supervised on leash and just like dogs can go for a walk. We take ours out all the time and they enjoy it. Never once had to crate our cats for traveling.
Above is Jelly Bean, my cat.

Luv to be on the GO
11-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Ever cute !!! And I LOVE that name !!!!

Larimar
11-20-2011, 06:42 PM
He has a new sister now we adopted named Echo. She is also leash trained. I don't think we'll be taking them outside in the cold weather, but in the summer they love going to the park.
The only real benefit to outdoor cats is that they get exercise.
Going on walks gives our cats the exercise, keeps their weight in check without putting them at risk.
I'm a huge advocate of treating cats as we treat dogs. They deserve the same safety standards.

gouligann
11-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Larimar, what an excellent photo of your cat!

dOg LoVeR
11-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Cats love the outdoors just as much as dogs do & should be allowed to venture outdoors... but agree 100% that they should be kept on a leash or in a fenced yard for their safety... and the safety of sand boxes & gardens everywhere. lol

p.s. Larimar, your cat is very pretty & I like her name too :)

kitca
11-21-2011, 06:34 PM
this is just a sad story: my neighbour leashed his cats for years. 2 or so years ago one of his cats was leashed in his own yard with my neighbour close by. someone walking their dog on a leash also came by. the dog lunged at the cat and the cat could not get away. the person walking just tugged the dog back and kept going. the vet said the injuries were so bad that he suggested euthanizing the cat. it was a freak accident and very unfortunate, but from that time on he does not leash his cats anymore.

the number of songbirds that are killed by cats every year is terrible and actually one of the things threatening them.

there are also so many stray and homeless cats out there. you wouldnt believe the people who move and leave their cat, or dump the pregnant cat across town and leave it. it is just terrible but people do it all the time.

dOg LoVeR
11-21-2011, 09:52 PM
That is a sad story... poor kitty. That's one reason I don't leash mine anymore. I've now trained them to stay in the fenced yard with my dogs. That way they're safe. I put my first cat on a leash when I first got her, but I was always afraid she'd get hung up on something & hurt herself, so having them trained to stay in the yard works much better. :) My cats even meow at the door now to go out & to be let back in. lol

MagicFingers
11-21-2011, 10:39 PM
I have had multiple cats for a long time and I prefer to have indoor cats but this one cat adopted me and she was a stray, we tease that this house isn't really her home its her room and board only we don't get anything except her company. We tried to keep her as an indoor cat and it was a nightmare, as much as I agree cats should stay inside there are some that NEED to be outside and are completely miserable if they aren't. I can honestly say that I have never seen her kill a bird and we had a nest of baby birds on our fence in the spring and she never bothered. She also rarely leaves our yard and is usually seen suntanning on our deck. She will sit at the patio doors scratching on the glass when she wants in and meows when she wants out. My neighbor likes her in his yard because she has killed a few mice. I says he prefers she kills them then them in his garage. She doesn't eat them and usually no marks on them i think she just chases them until they die. Sometimes you can't help it. We just adopted Jake and he is an indoor we won't be letting him out.

Mimi
11-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Be careful when leashing a cat, not to leave it unattended. Someone I knew used to leave their cat on a leash to sit on the deck. They went out one day to find him hanged by the leash.

Larimar
11-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Yes, never leash a climbing animal unsupervised. That being said never kennel/cage an animal with a collar on. Both can result in hanging the animal.

My cats are always with me while on their leash, as they are out for a walk.

Larimar
11-22-2011, 12:52 PM
here's some more pics. I remember a lot of people told me that Jelly Bean was an exception, not just any cat will walk with a harness and behave in the car..Now I have two that do- so I believe just like dogs it's all in the training.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/emoticons1/6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/emoticons1/3-6.jpg

magic mushroom
11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
i used to take my one cat on a leash for walks, to the park, etc. after she passed away i decided to keep the rest indoors. (flea treatment reasons, didn't like to put that poison on them if i didn't have to so the best solution was indoors only for them)
yes you can train a cat, much to some people's disbelief..

cute babies Larimar.

Larimar
11-22-2011, 01:53 PM
We have a little bit of liquid that we put on their shoulders for fleas and it lasts about 3 months at only a few drops.

Mimi
11-22-2011, 02:50 PM
They look like best buddies! Sweet.

kitca
11-22-2011, 05:51 PM
those pics are great, and the kitties are adorable!

4caster
11-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Well it looks like nature has taken care of the local cat problem in my area...

After setting up the live trap last week to try and catch and turn cats into the local humane society it looks like a local fox has taken care of the issue. This weekend I was outside and noticed a black cat being carried off by a fox. It's too bad but there will probably be another family who won't have their pet for Christmas.

Super Gram
12-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Seems like the Foxes are taking care of the cat problem. What bothers me is the small dogs. Even in their own yards

Larimar
12-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Probably a good idea to keep small dogs inside when unsupervised..or be out with them..

The coyotes are becoming more dominant in areas and chasing the foxes out into the city