PDA

View Full Version : Need a copy of Windows 2000

everywoman
11-27-2011, 03:24 PM
At least I think I do? Here's the issue. I have an old pc. I've been using laptops the past 5 yrs or so, so the pc has been in my storage room. While purging the storage room, I decided I better plug it in and make sure there wasn't anything on it I needed before donating it. It started up fine and all programs showed up. I went into my old email to start deleting stuff and it froze. So I rebooted the computer. Now nothing will work and it says there is a corrupt file and in order to restart the computer I need to install Windows 2000.

Any idea if I actually need to do this, or if there's another trick? I'm lost!

Thanks in advance!!

8th
11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
try pressing and holding the F8 key as you boot up to get it in safe mode http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000626.htm

everywoman
11-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Ok thx!!

Upper Decker
11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Id suggest just pulling the hard drive out and giving it a few good wacks with a hammer. Providing you dont need or want the data on it. If you are donating that machine to charity, a replacement drive wouldn't be much.

everywoman
11-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Well that's the thing...I want to figure out what data is on it. There may be some saved photos/documents etc that I'd like to keep. I haven't tried the f8 thing yet. Gonna try it a bit later...

Kaynine
01-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Have you tried after pressing F8. Best Known Configuration??

If not, best to plug your hard drive to another computer.