PDA

View Full Version : American nightmare

riggs
12-30-2011, 08:44 PM
At least he let them score twice..........................................on the power play

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h468/sisibutterfly1/imagesqtbnANd9GcR4lcrJdFM-cNQNIaLR6qA5X1dZa-UTjID2xlWFXuFJL1nHf8JE.jpg

Huggy85
12-30-2011, 11:40 PM
After all the build-up, tomorrow’s showdown between traditional rivals Canada and USA will surely mean almost nothing. Give or take some national pride, of course, but from a competitive standpoint the preliminary round fate of both teams is all but assured with three games yet to be played in Edmonton’s Group B.

This remarkable state of affairs has arisen after the Americans suffered a second consecutive third period collapse, falling short to the Czech Republic by a convincing 5-2 score. As happened against Finland on Wednesday, the Americans were unable to convert a big edge in shots into actual goals, nursed a tie score into the last half of the third, then melted down defensively by allowing three goals down the stretch to lose going away.

The Czechs were buoyed by a phenomenal performance by netminder Petr Mrazek, who turned aside 52 American drives including a game-turning penalty shot by Josh Archibald with under ten minutes to play and the score locked at 2-2. Just 59 seconds later, Petr Holik struck on the counterattack struck for the go-ahead goal, and took advantage of some shaky defensive zone play by the desperate Americans to strike two more times in the closing minutes. Indeed, Mrazek himself took a shot at the empty net in the waning moments, missing by inches. Holik put the nail in seconds later, and somehow was rewarded with player of the game honours for his two goal effort. Due respect, but anybody who had ever watched a hockey game before would attribute the Czech win to a standout performance by their charismatic goaltender. The partisan crowd – many of them the same folks who rode Mrazek hard when he celebrated a penalty shot save against Canada on Wednesday – chanted his name in the aftermath.

The Americans’ medal hopes now dangle by the slenderest of threads, as they will require Finland to drop at least four points in their remaining two games, against Denmark tonight and the Czechs tomorrow afternoon, while themselves beating Canada in the group finale. A Finnish win against the Danes in regulation tonight will leave USA on the outside looking in – and the Danes have lost their three previous games by eight, seven, and eight goals. Moreover, no fewer than five Danes, including two top six forwards and a front line defenceman, have been suspended for tonight’s game by their own association for disciplinary reasons. Any faint hope the Americans might have had is a distant echo.

With a regulation win over Denmark, Finland would jumpt to six points, tied with the Czechs for second place. Assuming the extreme scenario of a regulation win by USA over Canada and a regulation win by either the Czechs or the Finns would see a tie for first place at nine points, with the Canadians holding the tie-breaker advantage over both Finland and Czech Republic due to beating both teams earlier in the round robin. The exact opposite scenario holds for USA, who could pull into a tie with the loser of the CZE-FIN game, but would lose a tie-breaker to either European side, both of whom won their round-robin match with the Yankees.

UPDATE: Finland has jumped to a 3-0 lead in the first period, and the USA will be playing for seventh place come Monday.

With so much on the line this afternoon’s game was easily the most exciting to date in the Edmonton pool. The Americans had a huge territorial advantage thanks in large part to a wide imbalance in powerplay opportunities, to the tune of 17 minutes to 6. They managed both of their goals on the powerplay including one on an early (and questionable) boarding major, but Mrazek and company were able to stem the bleeding and eventually get the counter attack working to good effect.

Oilers’ prospect David Musil was a mainstay of the PK unit, and also recorded a splendid +3 at evens in a workhorse performance. But he was quick to deflect any kudos. “I have to give a lot of credit to the goalie Petr Mrazek, he was outstanding in the net. He had 54 shots! Without him I don’t know what the score would be, but he did a great job today and he deserves a lot of credit for the win.”

While tomorrow’s Canada-USA game will be played for pride alone, there is plenty on the line in the afternoon affair between Finland & Czech Republic, with the winner clinching second place in the group, thus avoiding Group A powers Sweden and Russia in the quarterfinal round.

Congratulations to Team USA for making it to a chance to play for 7th place!

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2011/12/30/world-junior-update-usa-faces-trip-to-relegation-round-after-shock-defeat-by-czech-republic/

Huggy85
12-30-2011, 11:47 PM
I can't help but wonder what happened to RWGR's claim last year that "the U.S. is arguably the greatest hockey power on the planet."

Priceless!!!!!!!

Jack Butler
12-31-2011, 01:29 AM
Aha, ha, ha...if that don't beat all!

RWGR
12-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Right now Russia is the top hockey country, followed by the USA, then Canada. If Canada can win gold at the WJC, best-case scenario says they are tied with the USA for 2nd. But the Russians are so far in front of you guys you will never catch them.

Your day is OVER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUEgqOd4t0U&feature=fvst

RWGR
12-31-2011, 03:55 PM
I noticed no one dared make a WJC thread until well into the tournament. That's because you guys have no confidence anymore. You expect the worst now.

As you should. Your days are over.

Yup, that makes me smile!!! :) :) :)

riggs
12-31-2011, 04:22 PM
We understand the past is a safe place for you. I mean, if I was American, I'd cling to my past as well......................................except in hockey that is

official soonet pu$$ycat
12-31-2011, 04:55 PM
They made a movie about the US hockey team winning and called it Miracle. Need I say more.

official soonet pu$$ycat
12-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Miracle 2 is set to be released in winter of 2445.

riggs
12-31-2011, 05:18 PM
They made a movie about the US hockey team winning and called it Miracle. Need I say more.

I don't think you can. Well said Cat.

riggs
12-31-2011, 05:21 PM
I noticed no one dared make a WJC thread until well into the tournament.

That my friend is the difference between Canadian confidence and American arrogance.

Barry Morris
12-31-2011, 05:49 PM

...and they think it's a history lesson.

Jack Butler
01-01-2012, 12:03 PM
...can you say relegation?
FYI, Canada is 31-6-3 all time versus the U.S. at the world junior hockey championship

RWGR
01-01-2012, 12:52 PM
3-2...that's it???

Man, you guys DO suck at hockey!!

Jack Butler
01-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Ya that's it.
That's make us 4-0....you?

Jack Butler
01-01-2012, 02:12 PM
All your talk about the USA becoming a world power in hockey gets lost in this.
Tell us more!

riggs
01-01-2012, 04:11 PM
3-2...that's it???

Man, you guys DO suck at hockey!!

And that's only playing the first 20 minutes.............................

riggs
01-01-2012, 05:46 PM
...can you say relegation?
FYI, Canada is 31-6-3 all time versus the U.S. at the world junior hockey championship

They must really enjoy listening to our anthem. Fell free to join in next time. I'm sure you know the lyrics, but if you don't, enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBoItR59REQ

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h468/sisibutterfly1/imagesqtbnANd9GcR4gOJkBFK0lwF20KtjeMLZJtuuzTmoiYVA mZu0ksLZSNYHByYB1w.jpg

Bill Nash
01-01-2012, 06:08 PM
They must really enjoy listening to our anthem. Fell free to join in next time. I'm sure you know the lyrics, but if you don't, enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBoItR59REQ

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h468/sisibutterfly1/imagesqtbnANd9GcR4gOJkBFK0lwF20KtjeMLZJtuuzTmoiYVA mZu0ksLZSNYHByYB1w.jpg

Wow, ..... the ultimate "touche", .... :smile:

RWGR
01-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Olympic Gold Medals since 1960

USA 2
Canada 2

Last WJC Gold

USA 2010
Canada 2009

RWGR
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
spengler cup
:)

RWGR
01-01-2012, 07:28 PM
http://www.goaliestore.com/board/attachments/equipment-forum/9621d1198783139-spengler-cup-jerseys-06-20tschechischer-20torjubel.jpg

RWGR
01-01-2012, 07:29 PM
http://blogs.ubc.ca/tomrattray/files/2011/01/416_cp24_spengler_cup.jpeg

RWGR
01-01-2012, 07:30 PM
http://www.swissinfo.ch/media/cms/images/keystone/2008/12/keyimg20081231_10147854_1.jpg

RWGR
01-01-2012, 07:31 PM
http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01355/Turco21_jpg_1355148cl-8.jpg

Jack Butler
01-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Was there even an american in the tourney?
One thing you missed is why they have the tournement.
...get back to me when you figure it out!

RWGR
01-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Canada...GONE!!!!

Jack Butler
01-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Where did we go, yank?
The semis are gonna be great...oh ya right, you're playing to stay out of B pool!
Aha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Huggy85
01-01-2012, 09:11 PM
RWGR's prayer until Thursday:

Please Lord, allow the Russians to defeat Canada in the gold medal game on Thursday because if the Russians lose, I'll look even dumber that I look already. By misdirecting the conversation from the World Juniors tournament to some obscure European tourney that the USA doesn't even play in, I have shown just how desperate I am to divert attention from the USA's pathetic performance in the WJC and a Russian victory is my only hope. Amen

RW

Bill Nash
01-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Where did we go, yank?
The semis are gonna be great...oh ya right, you're playing to stay out of B pool!
Aha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

RWGR's prayer until Thursday:

Please Lord, allow the Russians to defeat Canada in the gold medal game on Thursday because if the Russians lose, I'll look even dumber that I look already. By misdirecting the conversation from the World Juniors tournament to some obscure European tourney that the USA doesn't even play in, I have shown just how desperate I am to divert attention from the USA's pathetic performance in the WJC and a Russian victory is my only hope. Amen

RW

You guys are playing right into his hands. The Americans are out, ... he has nothing to lose. You guys are building it up that if we don't win, it will be humble pie morning, noon, and night.

I don't think I feel any different than most of you, but there is a time and a place for yakking it up, and this isn't one of them. If we win, I will be one of the first to rub it into RWGR, but at least I won't have to eat my words to him, .... just sayin', .....

riggs
01-02-2012, 09:14 AM
You guys are playing right into his hands. The Americans are out, ... he has nothing to lose. You guys are building it up that if we don't win, it will be humble pie morning, noon, and night.

I don't think I feel any different than most of you, but there is a time and a place for yakking it up, and this isn't one of them. If we win, I will be one of the first to rub it into RWGR, but at least I won't have to eat my words to him, .... just sayin', .....

Our players have already performed admirably under the circumstances. They came in as a very inexperienced team (4 returning players) If not for NHL obligations the top forward lines would potentially be manned by Jeff Skinner (Carolina Hurricanes), Tyler Seguin (Boston Bruins), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edmonton Oilers), Ryan Johansen (Columbus Blue Jackets), and Sean Couturier (Philadelphia Flyers). Erik Gudbranson (Florida Panthers) would log big minutes on the blue line.

So you see, there's nothing he can do other than jump band wagon to band wagon in search of a team that can beat Canada because America failed miserably.....again. All that will be remembered from this tournament is we sent many of our inexperienced/available players and they will played their best and will be better for the experience. As for RW..............he'll just claim victories, make translations while all the well quietly admiring the many wonderful things about our country........................our hockey skills included.

It should also be noted that Sean Couturier had the option to play for America but decided to play for Canada...................

Jack Butler
01-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the advice, but I'm good.
It's about being consistance and we are doing that.
IMO a gold medal doesn't change things, we are still the favored team.
With all the players that are still with their NHL teams as noted by riggs...if we make the medal roungs we're good.
The U18's won the Helinka and 5 in the bigs...I think our place as the most dominate hockey country is safe.
Drop the puck!

Barry Morris
01-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Last WJC Gold

Savour it. You won't get another soon.

Bill Nash
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Our players have already performed admirably under the circumstances. They came in as a very inexperienced team (4 returning players) If not for NHL obligations the top forward lines would potentially be manned by Jeff Skinner (Carolina Hurricanes), Tyler Seguin (Boston Bruins), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edmonton Oilers), Ryan Johansen (Columbus Blue Jackets), and Sean Couturier (Philadelphia Flyers). Erik Gudbranson (Florida Panthers) would log big minutes on the blue line.

So you see, there's nothing he can do other than jump band wagon to band wagon in search of a team that can beat Canada because America failed miserably.....again. All that will be remembered from this tournament is we sent many of our inexperienced/available players and they will played their best and will be better for the experience. As for RW..............he'll just claim victories, make translations while all the well quietly admiring the many wonderful things about our country........................our hockey skills included.

It should also be noted that Sean Couturier had the option to play for America but decided to play for Canada...................

See, ... already you are making excuses if they do not win. If's and but's don't count, .... the truth is, the players you mentioned are good enough to stay up in the bigs, and any junior career is done. It is good that we don't have many returning players because it only means the players that aren't there are good enough to move on. Our team is the same as any other team's make-up, .... players not good enough for NHL play but the best our country can find that is available.

What makes us good is the larger number of players available due to our hockey development and our coaching experience. I am sure you won't see us beating Finland, or the Chec Republic 8-1 and 5-0 again in this tournament (if they play us again), ... those teams learn fast and adjust accordingly. If we were to rely on previous games, lets remember we got our asses handed to us by the Swedes in the pre-tourney game, ..... I am sure Canada will adjust if they play again as well.

The USA team is never the favourite going in, so he can play the taunt game all day, ... there is no risk. His real claim to victory is getting under your skin and controlling your responses, ... which you so easily oblige him. You are in a no-win situation to argue with him but you do, .... I still don't understand why, .....

RWGR
01-02-2012, 11:52 AM
J.T. Compher (Northbrook, Ill.) tallied one goal and collected three assists, as the U.S. National Under-17 Team skated past Canada West, 7-3, at the 2012 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge here tonight at Tecumseh Arena. With the win, Team USA improves to 2-1-0-0 (W-L-OTL-T).

http://boxscorenews.com/us-national-u-team-skates-past-canada-west-in-world-u-ch-p29890-68.htm

riggs
01-02-2012, 12:33 PM
See, ... already you are making excuses if they do not win. If's and but's don't count, .... the truth is, the players you mentioned are good enough to stay up in the bigs, and any junior career is done. It is good that we don't have many returning players because it only means the players that aren't there are good enough to move on. Our team is the same as any other team's make-up, .... players not good enough for NHL play but the best our country can find that is available.

What makes us good is the larger number of players available due to our hockey development and our coaching experience. I am sure you won't see us beating Finland, or the Chec Republic 8-1 and 5-0 again in this tournament (if they play us again), ... those teams learn fast and adjust accordingly. If we were to rely on previous games, lets remember we got our asses handed to us by the Swedes in the pre-tourney game, ..... I am sure Canada will adjust if they play again as well.

The USA team is never the favourite going in, so he can play the taunt game all day, ... there is no risk. His real claim to victory is getting under your skin and controlling your responses, ... which you so easily oblige him. You are in a no-win situation to argue with him but you do, .... I still don't understand why, .....

If there's an excuse there I don't see it. I'm merely pointing out the depth of our players and programs. The fact that our eligible best have gone pro (and Canada has taken the greatest hit out of any other team in the tournament) and we can still field a competitive team at an international tournament says a lot in that regard. As for being favorites, the Americans were mentioned favorites in 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 in which they won a gold and fell short on their second attempt and brought home a bronze before a hometown crowd in Buffalo. The American's still lack the consistency/depth that is found in countries like Canada and Russia.

I'm not sure why you're so concerned about RW. Consider it a form of entertainment and don't take it so seriously. Don't be concerned for me because I'm having fun. You enjoy trolling and I could care less. It's a BBS.........................not real life

RWGR
01-02-2012, 12:55 PM
It's a BBS.........................not real life

Which explains why you are here 24/7

Barry Morris
01-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Which explains why you are here 24/7

Says you with 22 thousand posts.

riggs
01-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Says you with 22 thousand posts.

Silly little Republican

Jack Butler
01-02-2012, 03:29 PM
J.T. Compher (Northbrook, Ill.) tallied one goal and collected three assists, as the U.S. National Under-17 Team skated past Canada West, 7-3, at the 2012 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge here tonight at Tecumseh Arena. With the win, Team USA improves to 2-1-0-0 (W-L-OTL-T).

http://boxscorenews.com/us-national-u-team-skates-past-canada-west-in-world-u-ch-p29890-68.htm

Blah, blah, blah...Canada West!
Canada West is one of five teams we send, so...
We would steamroll that tourney if we sent just one team.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/171657/la_id/1.htm

Bill Nash
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure why you're so concerned about RW. Consider it a form of entertainment and don't take it so seriously. Don't be concerned for me because I'm having fun. You enjoy trolling and I could care less. It's a BBS.........................not real life

Whoa, .... where have I heard that before, ....

riggs
01-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Whoa, .... where have I heard that before, ....

Will you give me a hint......................:smile:

official soonet pu$$ycat
01-02-2012, 10:58 PM

I don't see how we are playing into his hands. Nobody is saying Canada can't be beat and we aren't even heavy favorites. It's all about spin and if you don't realize that, you may end up thinking we are 'playing into his hands'.

Bill Nash
01-03-2012, 12:44 AM
I don't see how we are playing into his hands. Nobody is saying Canada can't be beat and we aren't even heavy favorites. It's all about spin and if you don't realize that, you may end up thinking we are 'playing into his hands'.

OK, .... but I know someone who is going to have a field-day with this if Canada loses. I say, lay low, then lay it on him if Canada wins, but that would be too easy I guess. No matter which way you play it, the one really "playing it" is RWGR, .... he has gotten under your skin, so as he puts it, .... "he wins", ....

official soonet pu$$ycat
01-03-2012, 08:44 AM
OK, .... but I know someone who is going to have a field-day with this if Canada loses. I say, lay low, then lay it on him if Canada wins, but that would be too easy I guess. No matter which way you play it, the one really "playing it" is RWGR, .... he has gotten under your skin, so as he puts it, .... "he wins", ....

Under my skin? Quite the opposite. I get under his skin and your skin. As I say, I'm victorious.

Bill Nash
01-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Under my skin? Quite the opposite. I get under his skin and your skin. As I say, I'm victorious.

Nah,.... you getting under my skin, or of anyone else for that matter, doesn't happen as much as you imagine. Your wit is humourous and even charming sometimes, your factual contributions are like most others, .... googled, but your ability to get under someone's skin is as fictional as your handle, .... that's not the role of a cat.

A cat is suppose to offer a curious distraction to people who would otherwise be watching paint dry. A cat is supposed to spray on your pillow cases. A cat is supposed to cough up hair balls in front of important company. A cat is supposed to decide to sharpen it's claws on your great grandmother's 150 year old pump organ. If I had a cat do this to me, I would be annoyed, .... which is why I don't own a cat.

On the other hand, a cat is not supposed to be able to sit at a computer keyboard and talk to humans like Brian on Family Guy, .... that is just effin weird, .... :wink:

Jack Butler
01-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Ha, ha, ha...give it a rest Handy!

official soonet pu$$ycat
01-03-2012, 03:25 PM
I will borrow your method of responding as it provides an efficient way of replying to all points being discussed.

Nah,.... you getting under my skin, or of anyone else for that matter, doesn't happen as much as you imagine.

I don't see it much but I do see it.

Your wit is humourous and even charming sometimes

Bang on.

, your factual contributions are like most others, .... googled,

Well this is just false. I don't make any factual contributions. If I did I would more likely use Bing.

but your ability to get under someone's skin is as fictional as your handle, .... that's not the role of a cat.

I make it obvious my handle is fictional. Obviously I'm not the official cat.

A cat is suppose to offer a curious distraction to people who would otherwise be watching paint dry. A cat is supposed to spray on your pillow cases. A cat is supposed to cough up hair balls in front of important company. A cat is supposed to decide to sharpen it's claws on your great grandmother's 150 year old pump organ. If I had a cat do this to me, I would be annoyed, .... which is why I don't own a cat.

That's what makes me different. I am a trendsetter without any capable followers. This cat transcends the roll of the traditional cat. I won't back down, no I won't back down. You can stand me up at the gates of hell but I won't back down

On the other hand, a cat is not supposed to be able to sit at a computer keyboard and talk to humans like Brian on Family Guy, .... that is just effin weird, .... :wink:

I am the inspiration for Brian.

Bill Nash
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
I am the inspiration for Brian.

Sometimes I wish I were Brian, .... he's right, ... Lois is hot!

riggs
01-07-2012, 11:37 AM
I make it obvious my handle is fictional. Obviously I'm not the official cat.

You'll never get a crack at Lois if she finds out about this.