PDA

View Full Version : golden with sensitive skin.

rmkryan
01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Hello I have a few questions as to what to do for a dog with sensitive skin. My golden has very sensitive skin. We really noticed it after we switched food. We switched the food back to what he was good on. Eliminated all the treats that had wheat and stuff in them and only treat them with natural dried beef liver now. Is there anything natural I can put on him? He goes through these episodes where if the kids "share" with him, he licks his hind legs until they are red. I guess because his skin is itchy. I do use a lotion on him but with the kids petting and such i would prefer something natural. Any ideas? he is going back to the vet next wednesday.

Joy.D
01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Dr.Maggie Ointment sold at Both Pet Valu Locations. The stuff is amazing and all natural .

MaO3
01-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Has his skin changed colour? My golden has had skin issues over the years, turns out he has a thryoid condition, and is sensitive to wheat.
If his skin has changed colour he may have a yeast infection, takin him to the vet is a good idea.
Good luck and keep us posted

gouligann
01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Our dog was having gastric troubles (gurgling and off her food for a day or so, plus itchy skin on her back),and I was very surprised when the vet told me that beef can be a high allergen for dogs. We took her off any beef scraps, switched to only vet dogfood (Gastro) and when we give her a treat, it's chicken only. She's been MUCH better off the beef products. Just something you might want to try.

rmkryan
02-02-2012, 11:59 PM
well just thought I would update everyone. He went to the vet. I am surprised he is not allergic to himself. Pine trees, grass, fabric softener, shampoos, dust, mold/mildew... He is now on allergy shots every 4 weeks.. Within 3 hours of getting his first allergy shot he has not licked himself obsessively. He is not chewing his bum and his wounds are healing. The vet said that it is unusual for her to see allergy's in goldens start this early and usually it is not till mid spring that they start to really bother them. I guess he is just special. But I am glad we found the problem.

gouligann
02-03-2012, 06:15 AM
That's good that his problem is solved. He'll be much happier now and you won't have to watch him licking/chewing at himself.

alecat10
02-05-2012, 08:05 AM
My dog had a host of skin/ear/paw/ issues, including a bad body odor. Even tho he was eating high quality grain free food it did not take care of all these issues. Vet suggested i switch him to a vegetarian food, which I did. I did not purchase Veg food from Vet, instead I chose Natural Balance Veg food from Pet Val in Cambrian mall. Superior ingredients, cheaper and easier to get. 90% of his issues have gone away. The rest we can live with! Almost forgot to mention that he LOVES this food. I feed him canned and dry.

gouligann
02-06-2012, 02:06 PM
My dog had a host of skin/ear/paw/ issues, including a bad body odor. Even tho he was eating high quality grain free food it did not take care of all these issues. Vet suggested i switch him to a vegetarian food, which I did. I did not purchase Veg food from Vet, instead I chose Natural Balance Veg food from Pet Val in Cambrian mall. Superior ingredients, cheaper and easier to get. 90% of his issues have gone away. The rest we can live with! Almost forgot to mention that he LOVES this food. I feed him canned and dry.

I'll have to give that a try, thanks!

rmkryan
02-09-2012, 09:23 AM
is the veg frood grain/wheat free?