PDA

View Full Version : Bell ExpressVu vs StarChoice vs Shaw Digital Cable

403_forbidden
08-15-2007, 10:46 AM
I have Shaw classic cable now...but I want to upgrade to digital and HD TV....Is there any better HD provider between Bell, Star Choice, HD cable? Has anyone ever compared or had 2 of them and preferred one over the other. From what I can tell Star Choice seems to be the best value...but I wanted to hear what others have experienced....

Tutones
08-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Don't go with Satellite. It goes out every time there is a heavy rain/snow storm... Cable is much more reliable. I will be dumping my expressvu for digital cable as soon as my contract expires in December. Price wise, not much difference.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
08-15-2007, 11:13 AM
OIC

403_forbidden
08-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Hmmm...my neighbour has ExpressVu and he says the only time it goes out is that first or second snow fall in December when the snow is wet and sticks to the dish...once he brushes it off he is back in business.....

kitty&mimi
08-15-2007, 11:27 AM
we got the bell satellite pvr LOVE IT! no more vhs tapes to record shows!!! love it!

KRP
08-15-2007, 12:22 PM
We have no problem with our bell satellite, our signal bounces between 96% and 98% so the only time we really lose our signal is when it's storming really really bad. So far this year out of all the heavy rain, storms and even in the winter, we've only lost our single maybe 4 or 5 times for a few min. and it came right back. As long as you have your dish pointed in the right spot and the higher the % you can get, the less chance of you losing your signal.

MaO3
08-15-2007, 12:35 PM
I have expressview and have for a long time. I found in the past we would experience rainfade alot more than we do now. We have only had maybe 2 episodes of rainfade and only for a few minutes at at time.
Its not as bad as it used to be.

I love being able to time shift, to me that is one of the biggest advantages of a dish over cable. If I miss something at 8:00 I can watch it at 9:00 or 10:00 Its great if you happen to have to go out or someone calls and you miss the beginning of something. Just wait an hour and watch it from the start on a different channel.

sssammy
08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Ditto MaO3.

08-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Cable does offer 5 time shifting channels on their digital line up. As well a pvr, if you have to go out /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

KRP
08-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Ma03, that's one of the things I like about the satellite.

403_forbidden
08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
I probably won't require a PVR as I use my PC to record programs using special software...I will probably get an HD receiver for the TV and a standard receiver for the PC...that way I can archive shows to DVDs if I want.....anyone have any experience with StarChoice or is Bell the preferred satellite provider in the Soo....Near as I can figure you can get StarChoice with HD channels for $46 a month (going to $49 in Sept) and I have to go to HD essentials with Bell and that is $71 per month....

stewie
08-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Go with Bell Expressvu!!!!!!!! It does not go out very often and also has several time shifting networks; from every time zone in Canada. Just to name a few, you can watch Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, our own MCTV (channel 221), Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Victoria, and many more locals. Plus Bell is 100% digital, unlike shaw!!!! Also, you can pick and hose packages according to your preference. Shaw is way over-rated!
Do yourself a favour, go with the PVR and talk to the Bell sales staff from their 800 number and try and get yourself a deal. I ended up getting $280.00 rebate when I purchased my HD/PVR unit and I have been a long term customer. You just have to be persuasive.
Good Luck!

kitty&mimi
08-15-2007, 05:21 PM
oh my i forgot to mention we have hd channels and on my hd tv the oasis channel is AMAZING!!!

08-15-2007, 06:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kitty&mimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh my i forgot to mention we have hd channels and on my hd tv the oasis channel is AMAZING!!!
</div></div>

My mother was visiting this summer and that was her channel of preference. She was taking advantage of the HD before she went back to her 32 inch.

Shawn
08-15-2007, 10:57 PM
The thing I found that solves the rain fade problem is correctly pointed, and the dish covered in this.
http://www.kingcontrols.com/Template.asp...20Rain%20Shield (http://www.kingcontrols.com/Template.asp?Page=/products/tierTwo&mainid=3&p=Rain%20Fade%20Solutions-Dome%20Magic%20-%20King's%20Rain%20Shield)

Coat the dish according to the directions and it never gets snow on it, even during heavy rain/snow you usually still have signal. It basically boosts the signal by about 20% during a rain storm... is if you say drop to 50% signal during the rain... you will probably get around 70%, just enough to see it without loosing it...