PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to recover files

(Jay)
01-29-2012, 12:41 AM
After my previous laptop became unbearable to use I transferred all my stuff to an old Dell (Windows XP era) pc. It just randomly stopped working, blue screen with error code. The PC was crap anyway and I needed a new one no big deal but i've got about 9GB of music on it that I don't wanna lose. I took the hard drive out and got an enclosure at Future Shop to connect my new pc to it but it didn't fit the hard drive I have, its too big. Does anyone have one that would be able to help me out? I'd be willing to pay a little in return for borrowing it for an hour. Its a IBM Deskstar harddrive and apparently not a SATA drive which is all Future Shop has. The model number is IC35L060AVV207-0 and then it says ATA/IDE if that helps.

Would really appreciate it if someone could help me out, Future Shop wants $100 to do it. I don't want some random person having access to all my personal stuff, feels like a big invasion of privacy.

Hans
01-29-2012, 01:13 PM
According to the model # this drive has an ATA 100 interface. This is the "old" style interface with the 40 pin cable.

So you either need to buy something like this : http://www.pc-canada.com/item/UNI3510U2EB.html
Or find someone who has a PC that supports ide and can copy the data for you.

Bill Nash
01-29-2012, 11:10 PM
The info from the laptop is still probably accessible. The inverter probably went in it (sounds exactly like what mine did). Just hook it up to a monitor through the VGA cable output to view the data and transfer it, ..... I did it and it was too easy.