PDA

View Full Version : "Americans really are ignorant boobs"

Bluesky
02-10-2012, 11:02 AM
http://www.getreligion.org/2012/02/we-americans-really-are-ignorant-boobs/

Roll The Bones
02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
http://www.getreligion.org/2012/02/we-americans-really-are-ignorant-boobs/

the best line in the article (taken out of context of course but well worth pointing out) - "Unsophisticated morons fixated on guns, god and gays."

RWGR
02-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Rick Santorum is not a Protestant.

That's enough to get my vote

Bluesky
02-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Rw, can you see some ramifications if Romney (a Mormon) becomes the next pres? What impact might a Mormon in the Oval office have?

RWGR
02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Nothing. He would be hemmed in by the sheer pressure of people being very wary of his Mormon roots.

He'd make Obama look religious.

Wait...that's not possible.

On that note..God Bless the Catholic Church for making Obama back down from his contraception policy.

The RCC: still the greatest force of good, 2,000 years and counting.

Jack Butler
02-11-2012, 12:40 PM

Roman Catholic sex abuse cases by country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_sex_abuse_cases_by_country

I wouldn't say that.

RWGR
02-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Roman Catholic sex abuse cases by country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_sex_abuse_cases_by_country

I wouldn't say that.

Protestant abuse is higher, and secular abuse is 10x higher.

You lose :)

RWGR
02-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Ooops...

The Associated Press reported recently that three insurance companies receive upward of 260 reports each year of young people under 18 being sexually abused by Protestant clergy, challenging the assumption that clergy sexual abuse is an exclusively Catholic problem that does not take place in other churches.

That is a higher number than the annual average of 228 “credible accusations” brought against Catholic clerics in records reported by the Catholic Church in response to media scrutiny, a priest observed in a Fox News commentary questioning why the story isn’t garnering more attention.

While the report about abuse in Protestant churches doesn’t absolve guilty Catholic priests or those who enabled them, said Father Jonathan Morris, it offers a more complete picture. “The problem of sexual abuse has no denominational boundaries,”

http://dannimoss.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/protestant-clergy-abuse-equals-or-exceeds-catholic-clergy-abuse/

RWGR
02-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Oooops...

According to the best available data (which is pretty good mostly coming from a comprehensive report by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in 2004 as well as several other studies), 4% of Catholic priests in the USA sexually victimized minors during the past half century. No evidence has been published at this time that states that this number is higher than clergy from other religious traditions. The 4% figure appears lower than school teachers during the same time frame and certainly less than offenders in the general population of men. Research states that over 20% of American women and about 15% of American men were sexually violated when they were children by an adult. Sexual victimization is tragically fairly common in the general population but luckily these numbers have been dropping in recent years.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/do-the-right-thing/201003/six-important-points-you-dont-hear-about-regarding-clergy-sexual-abus

Jack Butler
02-11-2012, 12:52 PM

I wasn't comparing.
I was commenting on your claim of the greatest force of good.
Are you saying that the abused enjoyed it?
If your answer is no, than you are wrong.

bilbo79
02-11-2012, 12:53 PM
On that note..God Bless the Catholic Church for making Obama back down from his contraception policy.

It's a good thing young boys can't get pregnant eh RW :wink:

RWGR
02-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Context blows Jack out of the water...again

Jack Butler
02-11-2012, 12:55 PM
You didn't answer the question....figures!

riggs
02-11-2012, 01:13 PM
What impact might a Mormon in the Oval office have?

I'm not sure of the impact a Mormon might have in the Oval Office, but it's been made perfectly clear with Bushes 2 terms what impact a moron would have.

BFLPE
02-11-2012, 01:29 PM
God Bless the Catholic Church for making Obama back down from his contraception policy.umm, he didn't back down. Not only does he get what he wanted but in the eyes of many simple minded Americans he has shown a willingness to compromise. In other words, he wins!

The insurance companies will now provide it for free. For FREE lol.

Barry Morris
02-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Context blows Jack out of the water...again

Oh really??

From the site:

"The Associated Press reported recently that three insurance companies receive upward of 260 reports each year of young people under 18 being sexually abused by Protestant clergy,..."

"That is a higher number than the annual average of 228 “credible accusations” brought against Catholic clerics in records reported by the Catholic Church in response to media scrutiny, .."

These two statements do NOT say the same thing.

Now let's reconsider coverups, and swearing children to secrecy.

Barry Morris
02-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Rw, can you see some ramifications if Romney (a Mormon) becomes the next pres? What impact might a Mormon in the Oval office have?

I really don't think it will make a difference. How much effect did Bush have on abortion during HIS eight years. He couldn't.

Roll The Bones
02-11-2012, 04:54 PM

does "Reichskonkordat" mean anything to catholics?? it should because its shameful!

how about the crusades??

you'd be better off studying mortal sins than preaching the disgraces of the rcc

RWGR
02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
You know nothing about the Crusades.

Christians trying to take back lands Muslims took from them. How horrible.

Roll The Bones
02-11-2012, 05:46 PM
You know nothing about the Crusades.

you know nothing about me, or about what i know or do not know, so your statement is rather presumptuous and off handed... which is you in a nutshell isn't it??!!

Roll The Bones
02-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Christians trying to take back lands Muslims took from them.

typical rcc propaganda

RWGR
02-11-2012, 06:40 PM
typical rcc propaganda

Nope, it's called history.

I understand why it would be strange to you.

Bluesky
02-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Get the thread back on track. Or I will delete.

So, RWGR says that the RCC got Obama to back down. Umm, not really. Although many see it as a compromise. See here:
http://www.albertmohler.com/2012/02/10/what-compromise-this-policy-leaves-religious-liberty-in-peril-and-planned-parenthood-smiling/

BFLPE
02-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Get the thread back on track. Or I will delete.You should probably just take your ball and go home then.

Roll The Bones
02-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Christians trying to take back lands Muslims took from them. How horrible.

if you honestly think that the crusades can be explained in that simplistic one liner you posted, then you truly are ignorant of any historical facts

Barry Morris
02-12-2012, 03:42 PM
if you honestly think that the crusades can be explained in that simplistic one liner you posted, then you truly are ignorant of any historical facts

I believe Christianity predates Islam by about 800 years.

NewCasa
02-12-2012, 09:36 PM

You lose :)

I think you miss an important point RWGR. The key word is 'reported'. The Catholic church discourages reporting abuse. Given that, it should be no surprise at all that their numbers look better. And this has been my point all along. Not only do the Catholics abuse children, they lie about it as a matter of policy.

Roll The Bones
02-13-2012, 09:47 AM
I think you miss an important point RWGR.

he can't help but miss the point

just because he believes that one perp is worse than another perp doesn't make this ok

they're both perps

most troubling thing is, he supports perps based on their religion and their ability to hide behind the cloth

which is nothing short of cowardly

Barry Morris
02-13-2012, 10:05 AM
I have to wonder if there isn't another thing missed.

From what I have seen, Roman Catholics don't have the large volunteer base to run the many programs that Protestant churches run. The pastor is just one of many people working with kids all the time, in Sunday Schools, mid-week meetings, vacation bible schools, kids camps etc. Did you know there are at least 4 childrens camps within about a hundred mles of here?? Not one RC, as far as I know, in Ontario anyway.

It is an unfortunate fact that the more people involved, the more potential there is for abuse. And the media isn't interested in sorting out the real facts re clergy abuse vs lay people abuse.

Barry Morris
02-13-2012, 10:07 AM
..... The Catholic church discourages reporting abuse....

They sure don't report those cases where the children were sworn to secrecy.

Roll The Bones
02-14-2012, 11:36 AM

ummmmm... yeah...

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1130643--call-it-a-conspiracy-but-vatican-leaks-show-power-struggle-in-holy-see?bn=1

Barry Morris
02-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Bones, you're welcome to look for any human organization that has done as much good, yet without any problems.

You won't find it.

Roll The Bones
02-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Bones, you're welcome to look for any human organization that has done as much good, yet without any problems.

You won't find it.

and i agree with you on that point, but let's face it... the rcc is rife with problems, not least of which is a sorry need to admit it's shortcomings and wrongdoings... perhaps after that the church will find a way to update itself

Barry Morris
02-14-2012, 03:42 PM
and i agree with you on that point, but let's face it... the rcc is rife with problems, not least of which is a sorry need to admit it's shortcomings and wrongdoings... perhaps after that the church will find a way to update itself

I hope so too, for their sake.

I was surprised by the election of the hard-nosed Ratzinger after the previous Pope. I had hoped that more openness and flexibility might be in store with the new Pope, but it seems they went backwards.