PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Shaw

NewCasa
08-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Not sure where else to post this:

I've just been hearing about free to air satellite and I'm intrigued. I'm also wondering what alternatives there might be to Shaw internet. The speed is great, but I could go with a lower speed and still be happy. Right now I'm paying abuot $115/month for net and cable and find that's crazy expensive. Also, the cable drives me nuts because they always show the channels I can't get and don't tell me the difference till I try them. I wish they'd just not show the ones I don't get. I can't believe how many channels I can't get for he money I'm paying!

So, what recommendations and how do they work?

Thanks!

Strife
08-16-2007, 01:03 AM
wow.....I pay about 90 a month for full cable and Shaw extreme. Do you have digital cable?

NewCasa
08-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Yes, I have digital cable plus movies and high speed internet. 5mps is the speed, I believe. For the usage I get I could almost go to 'lite' but it's not a huge savings so I won't bother.

Thanks for asking though, after I read your post here I called up Shaw this morning and they noticed an error they'd made. I'd bought my receiver outright a year ago but they'd been charging me rental on it ever since. They knocked $15 a month off my bill and gave me a $100 refund. Sweet. After that, they gave me a trial on ALL Shaw channels fora month (well, except 'adult' channels and TSN I think). Very nice.

So ok - we'll see in a month. On a tip I checked with Rogers, but they don't have service here so I guess we're still down to Shaw, ExpressVu and Star Choice (which, I found is Shaw's satellite arm - didn't know that). Doesn't seem there are any other choices up here in the great white north.

binky
08-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm pretty happy with expressview and i know what you mean about the program listings on shaw digital from seeing it at my moms. Cant tell what channels she has or not, expressview is not like that, you can see just subscribed channels. i pay $66.00 with the movie channels and lots of other channels.

tired-n-cranky
08-17-2007, 12:11 PM
NoCasa it is like that everywhere. The is always only ONE local cable incumbant, thanks to the wonderful CRTC.

So you either go with your local cable CO, a satellite provider, or wait until Bell comes out with their IPTV in a gazillion years.

403_forbidden
08-22-2007, 09:24 AM
So what do people suggest for satellite HD providers? Bell ExpressVU or StarChoice? I just have plain analog cable right now and want to get some HD service…

J*B
08-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Star Choice is a better deal for HD, and you can split a subscription 3 or 4 ways legally now.
The equipment is cheaper too, not sure if they offer internet though.

08-24-2007, 09:27 PM
And no contract with starchoice, So i'd try them first. I'll give you a number for a local sales guy at Shaw, and he'll get you hooked up with HD content to try out to make sure you like the stuff.