PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Shaw Extreme!!!

Strife
08-16-2007, 02:17 AM
Thank you Shaw extreme!!! Tonight I downloaded a 700 MB "file" in just under 11 mins

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/Canadian_Boi_Toi/Screenshot.png

mboy67
08-16-2007, 07:47 PM
ya i get speeds like that with mine all the time. It's nice.

Strife
08-19-2007, 02:33 PM
yes it is. I think that is the fastest that I have downloaded a file of that size that fast. Most of the time it takes me about 20-30 minutes.

Hans
08-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Why does it say "remaining: 18H 58m" ?

jeffster
08-19-2007, 05:40 PM
the file is finished downloading.....thats the time remaining to seed the entire file with a low upload speed

Strife
08-19-2007, 09:35 PM
You may be referring to the time marked "Remaining" which is 18 hours, 58 mins. The time that I have outlined in the red box is the "Time Elapsed". I realised after posting that my cropping job in paint sucked. The total time it took me to download that file was just under 11 mins

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/Canadian_Boi_Toi/Screen2.png

Image above demonstrates where I am commin from

08-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Average Speed 1.1 MB/s /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Strife
08-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah it was pretty sweet.

DeleteAccout
09-06-2007, 09:19 AM
I love x-treme /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Now if only they had NITRO here /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ... mmm .... 25 MBPS :P

09-06-2007, 01:17 PM
THAT WOULD BE SWEET!

Strife
09-06-2007, 02:08 PM
lol.....yes indeed it would be sweet. I just moved and had to give up my Shaw Extreme. I am now on the Bell 5 MB *barfs*

http://www.speedtest.net/result/182473355.png

Not bad I guess

Madmax
09-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Shaw sucks and anyone that works there is a lame duck that can't put two lines in a house without [censored] it up.

Strife
09-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Well Shaw is a ton better than Bell. If I had my choice, I would go back to Shaw any day.

Madmax
09-06-2007, 06:58 PM
True at dat

Killswitch
09-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Don't for get that torrent download speeds depend more on the seeder/leecher ratio and how much/fast the seeders are uploading. I'll bet all the cows on the farm (lol) that a regular old high speed connection could have downloaded the same file(s) just as quickly, unless your download speed exceeded typical high speed connection rates.

Strife
09-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Yes I know that. I downloaded a file today at around 400k. Same file would have been downloaded much faster on Shaw

Madmax
09-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Not really if the server has capped the download speed.

Strife
09-07-2007, 06:11 PM
by server you mean Bell or Shaw right?

Madmax
09-07-2007, 10:06 PM
No the server in where the file or files are located. If they capped the downlaoad speed to 400kb per second you can have a T3 connection and you will only still get 400kb per second.

Strife
09-07-2007, 11:11 PM
There is no server. The website (Demonoid, Torrentleech, Torrentspy, etc...) only hosts the .torrent file. The rest is all seeders and leechers. Seeders are people who have the whole program and are uploading. Leechers are the ones that are downloading off the seeders. Your download speed is determined by the connection you have and the connection of the seeders and leechers you are connected too. Assuming the perfect world:

you are connected to 2 seeders and 2 leechers. You are downloading small bits of the file from those 4 peers. Each peer has their upload speed capped at 10k. You can only download from those 4 peers at a max of 40k. Now if you connect to a seeder who has their upload speed capped at 100k, you can only download at a max of 140k.

The only time a website such as Torrentleech is concerned, is the registration. For example, Demonoid is a public tracker, meaning that anyone can join when registration is open. Torrentleech is a private tracker. You have to be invited into the site to become registered and have to keep a certain share ratio to stay on the site. Uploaders are generally required to have strong upload speeds to upload their content to the site, whereas a public tracker, there is no criteria for uploaders. Generally private trackers provide better download speed.

Did I lose you????

09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shaw sucks and anyone that works there is a lame duck that can't put two lines in a house without [censored] it up.

</div></div>

It all depends on who you get.

09-08-2007, 03:17 PM
I have Shaw Extreme, and I'm constantly getting 1.1 meg downloads on Torrentleech.

Canadian13 if your on demoniod, send me an invite /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Strife
09-08-2007, 05:58 PM
PM me your email and I'll send one your way

\m/ Rich \m/
09-09-2007, 10:41 AM
im supposed to be getting 5mbps with bel, i was getting 4.5 (more han acceptable) then something screwed up and now i only get 2.5. ive been complaining and they havent fixed it yet

Hans
09-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Tomorrow I will have Shaw 10 Mbit, I am getting rid of Bell. Their customer and billing support is not even close to what it should be.

Strife
09-10-2007, 12:18 AM
That always seem to be the problem with Bell. The only reason why I am with Bell right now is because I am living with a friend and they have Bell. When I get my own apartment, I'll be getting Shaw again.

mboy67
09-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Shaw speeds are great but don't download over the limit or they email you and then call you. lol

Hans
09-10-2007, 09:44 PM
I got it back, yippy! Just had to change a few things around, because the guy who installed it was pulling his hair out over my network setup.
But everything is great so far, hopefully it stays like that.

Beatle
09-22-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm on the regular shaw high speed service and these are the speeds I usually get:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/186646963.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Is this comparable to what other people on shaw regular high speed get?? I'm in the east end, if that helps

Thanks

Shawn
09-22-2007, 07:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beatle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on the regular shaw high speed service and these are the speeds I usually get:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/186646963.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Is this comparable to what other people on shaw regular high speed get?? I'm in the east end, if that helps

Thanks </div></div>

Thats pretty poor, do you have a blue Terayon modem or a black Motorola? If you don't have a Motorola I would get that swapped and see if that helps and if not you might need a service call.

Hans
09-22-2007, 08:08 PM
I am in East end, on Shaw Extreme.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/186683818.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Hans
09-22-2007, 08:09 PM
And this is using a different site :

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Last Result:
Download Speed: 9721 kbps (1215.1KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 834 kbps (104.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Shawn
09-22-2007, 09:24 PM
http://www.vianet.ca/speedtest2.php

\m/ Rich \m/
09-23-2007, 10:16 AM
well bell finally fixed my connection and im getting 4.7mbps again. Im happy with this. Every time ive been with shaw ive been cut off for bandwidth abuse, usually within the first month..... in over a year with bell (this time) they havent said a word. On average i do about a terabyte of transfer ever 2 and a half months. now its gonna go up /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Ultra54
09-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Right on Rich, I have the same DSL service now for 2 years and it hasn't failed me once where as Shaw [censored] me over many times.

soldierx
09-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Yeah shaw raped me. I've been on DSL ever since and it works great and no stupid download cap.

Chrylon
10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Well Bell STILL hasn't got my 7MB connection hooked up and it's been about a month. I'm going to talk to the girlfriend and see about switching to Shaw Extreme. Does anyone here have it in the West End around the Farwell Terrace area?

(Oh.. and according to Bell I'm on the 7MB service already and I'm working at 100%. So why am I getting on average: Download - 2556 kb/s | Upload - 683 kb/s? BECAUSE I'M ON DSL LITE STILL!!!! [censored] bell doesn't listen to what their customer has to say at all.. bunch of [censored] morons!)

Andre
10-02-2007, 10:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soldier X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah shaw raped me. I've been on DSL ever since and it works great and no stupid download cap. </div></div>

Sympatico has capped their new services at 60GB/month
One of the two reasons I'm switching.

Strife
10-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Bell was eventually gonna cap their traffic. Now since they have comparable packages to Shaw, they dont need that "No cap" advantage....atleast thats what they think....

Andre
10-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Sympatico's speeds now meets or exceed Shaw's.
Their pricing however doesn't. They seem to think everyone wants their "Total Internet Service" which just isn't true.
I'm not switching to Shaw but another DSL company that offers me the same options I was getting from Sympatico at the same price to which I was getting before.

I think Sympatico is going to lose a lot of business due to this new format.

Shawn
10-03-2007, 12:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Syko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Bell STILL hasn't got my 7MB connection hooked up and it's been about a month. I'm going to talk to the girlfriend and see about switching to Shaw Extreme. Does anyone here have it in the West End around the Farwell Terrace area?

(Oh.. and according to Bell I'm on the 7MB service already and I'm working at 100%. So why am I getting on average: Download - 2556 kb/s | Upload - 683 kb/s? BECAUSE I'M ON DSL LITE STILL!!!! [censored] bell doesn't listen to what their customer has to say at all.. bunch of [censored] morons!) </div></div>

If you are getting 2556/683 you are on a 3008/800 profile, call them and find out what your cap is on the download. If they say the cap is below 50% you should be able to get close to 7 megs... if your cap right now is like 90% sorry but you won't be getting 7megs... DSL is based on distance and quality of the copper, so the further the less speed you will get.

You can also find out some of this info for the cap depending on what modem you have too... on some they will show obtainable speed and actual speed.

Hope this helps.

Chrylon
10-03-2007, 02:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shawn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Syko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Bell STILL hasn't got my 7MB connection hooked up and it's been about a month. I'm going to talk to the girlfriend and see about switching to Shaw Extreme. Does anyone here have it in the West End around the Farwell Terrace area?

(Oh.. and according to Bell I'm on the 7MB service already and I'm working at 100%. So why am I getting on average: Download - 2556 kb/s | Upload - 683 kb/s? BECAUSE I'M ON DSL LITE STILL!!!! [censored] bell doesn't listen to what their customer has to say at all.. bunch of [censored] morons!) </div></div>

If you are getting 2556/683 you are on a 3008/800 profile, call them and find out what your cap is on the download. If they say the cap is below 50% you should be able to get close to 7 megs... if your cap right now is like 90% sorry but you won't be getting 7megs... DSL is based on distance and quality of the copper, so the further the less speed you will get.

You can also find out some of this info for the cap depending on what modem you have too... on some they will show obtainable speed and actual speed.

Hope this helps. </div></div>

Yeah, I knew pretty much all that already. But thanks for reminding me how gay Bell is. My girlfriend went and put us on a 1 year contract so it's gonna cost $300 for us to cancel plus the bundle cancellation fee. I'm gonna complain so much to Bell tomorrow that they're gonna hate me and just wave the fees and cancel the service to get me off the phone. LOL It should be a fun phonecall.

Chrylon
10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Well we cancelled our service with Bell this morning. No fee. Called Shaw and they're connecting the Extreme-I next wednesday.

And for some reason I'm still getting an internet connection even though we cancelled our service with Bell. LOL. Bunch of morons.

Shawn
10-03-2007, 08:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Syko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well we cancelled our service with Bell this morning. No fee. Called Shaw and they're connecting the Extreme-I next wednesday.

And for some reason I'm still getting an internet connection even though we cancelled our service with Bell. LOL. Bunch of morons. </div></div>

Bell does not just disconnect your dsl right away... they cancel the user name but your modem will stay in sync anywhere from a day or 2 to a year or so... all depending on when they need the port you were plugged into. I have seen people disconnect, a person moves into a house, and forget to call to reactivate at the new location, have dsl for like a year then bell cleans up things and pulls the line they though they had dsl on...

Chrylon
10-03-2007, 10:08 PM
well that's pretty nice. I'm gonna pray it lasts until next weds so I don't lose my net connection lol

mboy67
10-05-2007, 08:43 PM
good luck as bell may just do things right this time. But the chances of that happening are slim lol.

Chrylon
10-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm still online aren't I? They're screwin up that's for sure lol

mboy67
10-05-2007, 08:54 PM
lol just hope it makes it till your Shaw is installed.

Chrylon
10-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure it will. they don't work sat or sun and probably have the holiday off so that leaves tues and weds /ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

MAX POWER
10-06-2007, 12:52 AM
bell has a 30 day disconnect wait
if you told them to end it on oct 3 it will stop working on nov3 and you will be billed for it unill that time if you use it or not. make sure you send back the modem if you have one right away to
if you have automatic deopting from them, have it stoppd at your bank or the will take the $$ anyways

good luck, i'm going threw this nightmare with them right now

Chrylon
10-06-2007, 04:07 AM
not automatic deposit.. so I aint payin lol