PDA

View Full Version : valve setting

bohd
06-07-2012, 12:42 PM
i have a 230 cubic inc volvo penta engine , boat motor. last year i replaced the head and now i require the valves to be set. can somebody help me out? thanks in advance

Anapeg
06-07-2012, 01:52 PM
If that particular block is basically a Chevy 230, would the valve lash not be the same or does the reduced RPM negate the similarity's?

bohd
06-09-2012, 08:27 PM
not a chevy block,,,volvo.....no similarities////i think i van do it...thanks
If that particular block is basically a Chevy 230, would the valve lash not be the same or does the reduced RPM negate the similarity's?

Barry Morris
06-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Curious.

Solid lifters??

Looked it up:

"The 5.0 L engine is marinized in the U.S. by Volvo Penta, a Swedish company, which buys the blocks from General Motors’ Vortec division which manufacturers in Toluca, Mexico. Virtually every year the engine is refined or improved in some way by either Volvo Penta, Vortec or both. Some of the major improvements the last several years include its harden exhaust valve seats, hydraulic roller valve lifters and a new injector design that improves fuel injection reliability. The high-flow cylinder head with straighter intake ports and higher compression ration (9.4:1) delivers impressive horsepower."

Interesting specs, too

250 foot lbs torque at 1000 rpm, 302 ft lbs torque at 4000. THAT"S a puller!!!

Anapeg
06-11-2012, 07:33 PM
not a chevy block,,,volvo.....no similarities////i think i van do it...thanks

Actually it is I believe a Chev 230 V-6 block. I may be wrong but you can check.