PDA

View Full Version : The PC looks like it's dying

Hans
08-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Blame it on lack of innovation. Blame it on the economy. Blame it on the tablet. Whatever one blames it on, PCs are not doing well. Sales of computers were down in the second quarter and the outlook for the rest of 2012 is gloomy. Even the upcoming release of Microsoft Windows 8 is unlikely to shift the wheezing PC business back into gear.
What's going on?
Market research firm IDC reported that PC shipments totaled 86.7 million units last quarter, down 0.1% from the year earlier period. This was far below IDC's projection of 2.1% growth. Gartner also reported the decline in sales, counting approximately 87.5 million units. "It certainly seems that the industry as a whole is in a slump," said Craig Stice, senior principal analyst for compute platforms at IHS iSuppli. "Bottom line is still the economic conditions worldwide."

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/08/07/the-pc-looks-like-its-dying/?iid=Popular

The Left Sock
08-07-2012, 10:07 PM
I understand the 'mobile' craze, but the sheer magnitude of technology and power you can get for $400 in a PC will keep me a fan of the home-based unit. It's too bad they didn't develop it properly, because you can use a single PC to run an entire household electronically.

They should have focused more on integrating PCs with TVs in the household. As it is, you still need an extra media player box, to get computer files to run on your TV, and HDMI cables. You can run an entire household phone system off a single PC, at a fraction of the price of regular phone service, but people use their cell phones, while sitting in front of the computer.

Missed opportunities, I think.