PDA

View Full Version : Romney: 47% of Americans dependent on government

Hans
09-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Romney argued nearly half of Americans will vote for President Barack Obama because they rely on government support, made apparent jokes about wishing he had Latino heritage, and talks about a Chinese factory his former firm purchased.

"There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe that government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing."

"I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives," he added. "What I have to do is convince the 5 percent to 10 percent in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/17/controversial-private-fund-raiser-video-shows-candid-romney/?hpt=hp_t1

Barry Morris
09-18-2012, 07:29 AM
What a dumb thing for Romney to say. He's either implying that the Dems are ALL on welfare, or admitting that, along with the non-government dependent Democratic supporters, he hasn't got a chance in hell.

Another good article:
http://90days90reasons.com/41.php

Barry Morris
09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
More on it:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/sns-rt-us-usa-campaign-romney-videobre88g1h3-20120917,0,784955.story

Westender 3
09-18-2012, 02:19 PM
The despicable part is where Rmoney says,

"so my job is is not to worry about those people"

BFLPE
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Without context it certainly does sound despicable.

riggs
09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
What a dumb thing for Romney to say.

To think he was the best the Republicans had to run against Obama.

riggs
09-18-2012, 03:35 PM
The despicable part is where Rmoney says,

"so my job is is not to worry about those people"

Was the highlighted a typo or just your thoughts on the Romney campaign....lol

Westender 3
09-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Without context it certainly does sound despicable.

Rmoney: There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That thatís an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And I mean, the president starts off with 48, 49, he starts off with a huge number.

These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesnít connect. So heíll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean, thatís what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people.

Iíll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5 to 10 percent in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not.

http://factcheck.org/2012/09/dependency-and-romneys-47-percenters/

There's your context.Doesn't make it any better. The idiot insulted half his base. Lucky for him, they're too stupid to realize it.

Westender 3
09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Was the highlighted a typo or just your thoughts on the Romney campaign....lol

Well, he is worth over 250 mil. No typo.

The Left Sock
09-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I see something far more dangerous in what Romney said. I see revoultionary rhetoric from a guy who already thinks he has lost the race, and is building a case for why the government should be over-thrown.

This line is the most telling; "I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives". Ergo, they should be compelled to do so by force.

Just my take on it, and it still just might be the blatherings of a man completely out of touch with the common man's experience, but others who think like him will not see it that way.

Barry Morris
09-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Interesting thought.

Especially if the country goes down economically.