PDA

View Full Version : External Hard drive prob

SweetBiotch
10-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Ok here is my problem. I think i had a hacker on my computer..He shut down my firewall, but i was able to get it working finally using a few programs i found on bleepingcomputers.com.Now my issue is hat i can't access my external hard drive files.I tried reinstalling the program, but not sure what i should do now.I don't want to make things worse.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you Seriously, know one has any advice to help me out?

SSMP
10-09-2012, 03:23 PM
does your drive show up in My Computer, or Computer?

SweetBiotch
10-13-2012, 12:37 AM
No the drive does not show up

Asparas
10-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I would honestly suggest a complete reformatting of your pc. if you did get a virus. you could still be suffering from it and this could be a symptom.

Alternatively you could bring your external hard drive to a friend's house, try it there. if it doesn't show up, then your drive might be toast.

you can also download a partition manager like minitool partition wizard ( it's free), see if it recognises the physical drive itself.

depending on your findings, that will determine your course of action but there can be a few different reasons why an external drive doesn't show up when you plug it in.

Hans
10-13-2012, 03:46 PM
You should not have to re-install a program to access an external hard drive. It should show up in windows explorer. I would see if it shows up in windows explorer.

Tom Stephenson
10-13-2012, 04:43 PM
If the external drive doesn't show up in the Windows Explorer it is not being seen by the operating system. I have a Seagate Free Agent external drive here that has a similar problem. I sometimes have to unplug it and plug it back in a number of times before my laptop sees it. Unplug the USB plug, trying with both power on and off on your external drive.

Tom

axalon2003
10-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Do you have any usb devices plugged in besides your external drive? Laptops use a shared usb bus, so if you have another device plugged in that draws power you may not have enough juice left to run your external drive.

SweetBiotch
10-14-2012, 12:07 AM
I have an adapter type thing that allows me to plug in 4 usb devices at once.I have never had a problem till now with the external hard drive not being recognized

SweetBiotch
10-14-2012, 12:18 AM
tried plugging and unplugging the external hard drive and still no luck

8th
10-14-2012, 12:38 AM
http://landing.driverwhiz.com/en/driverstest?cc=us&utm_expid=23719784-0&brand=Acomdata%20&logo=Acomdata&subid=1001-cat2-en-10000003672&gclid=CL3Vu__J_7ICFYs7MgodvQ0AwQ&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.info.com%2Facomdata% 2520hard%2520drives%3Fcb%3D27%26cmp%3D4180%26gclid %3DCK7Iy-_J_7ICFYs7MgodvQ0AwQ

Hans
10-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Unplug all USB devices, plug it directly into a USB port, restart computer. It should show up.

SweetBiotch
10-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Tried that and it didn't work Hans :(

Hans
10-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Than you either have a problem with the external enclosure, or with the drive. Could also be a cable problem.
Looks like you need to bring it to someone who can test that for you.

SweetBiotch
10-17-2012, 04:06 AM
ok ty Hans

jeffster
10-18-2012, 10:23 AM
sent you a private message offering free help if you're interested

MagicFingers
10-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I would honestly suggest a complete reformatting of your pc. if you did get a virus. you could still be suffering from it and this could be a symptom.

Alternatively you could bring your external hard drive to a friend's house, try it there. if it doesn't show up, then your drive might be toast.

you can also download a partition manager like minitool partition wizard ( it's free), see if it recognises the physical drive itself.

depending on your findings, that will determine your course of action but there can be a few different reasons why an external drive doesn't show up when you plug it in.

My husband says this advice is exactly correct.

BFLPE
10-20-2012, 12:53 PM
holy cow, atleast take a look in device manager before getting all silly.

SweetBiotch
10-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Other devices has a yellow check mark and so does Ethernet.what could that mean in device manager?

BFLPE
10-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Driver issues. That may or may not be related to your external drive. If you unplug your drive does the 'other device' disappear from device manager?

You should try right clicking on the one's with yellow and choosing update driver.

What version of windows? With the external drive connected right click on 'Computer' or 'My Computer' and select manage. Then go to disk management. Does the external drive show up and if so is there a drive letter assigned to it?

SweetBiotch
10-21-2012, 03:18 AM
No it does not disappear when i unplug the external hard drive.Tried clicking on the update driver and it couldn't install a new driver.No the external does not show up when i go to disk management

Asparas
10-22-2012, 10:22 AM
No it does not disappear when i unplug the external hard drive.Tried clicking on the update driver and it couldn't install a new driver.No the external does not show up when i go to disk management

If it doesn't show up in disk management then either:
1. your drive is toast
2. your drive enclosure is toast
3. your USB cable is toast

It's more likely option 1 or 2 but option 3 is easy to test if you have a spare cable.

only way to test option 1 is to.bring it to someone to test it in their computer or a different enclosure.